+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding minoxidil after long term finasteride use?

Hi,

I've been using finasteride for about 6 years now and in that time I've managed to maintain a decent amount of hair.

I have however recently thinned a fair bit on top and my hair has turned from ginger to a much blonder colour. I've also notice that a lot of my hair has miniaturized, particularly at the front.

I was thinking of adding rogaine foam into my regime but was concerned that this might cause problems.

I know that a shed is common for the first few months, but I was thinking that my finasteride use has probably allowed me to keep what hair I have for longer than I should have done and if I add rogaine now it could just make all of my miniaturized hair fall out permanently.

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation to me (long term finasteride user) and seen good results through adding rogaine?

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by chopmaster View Post
    I was thinking of adding rogaine foam into my regime but was concerned that this might cause problems.
    Why?

If you have hairs that you know are miniaturizing and you do nothing to try to save them, you are going to loose them anyways.

Shedding is part of the process. Shedding needs to happen. Shedding means the medicine is working. The damaged hair follicles need to shed their hairs as they are healing. The hairs that shed out usually grow back with continued use of the medicine. When they do grow back they will be thicker and stronger than they were before.

What you can do is start small. Go get one bottle of Rogaine foam and a small bottle of Nizoral A-D shampoo. Use the Rogaine foam once per day every other day a couple of hours before your bedtime to start with. Use the Nizoral A-D shampoo once per week in place of your regular shampoo. After two or three weeks of using Rogaine once per day every other day, start using it once per day every day. After two or three weeks of using Rogaine once per day every day, start using it twice per day every other day and continue using it once per day on the other days. After two or three weeks of that start using it twice per day every day as directed.

Thanks for the response.

I think I will take the plunge. What is the reason you recommend starting small? I've never heard of this technique before.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chopmaster View Post
    What is the reason you recommend starting small? I've never heard of this technique before.
    Hi chopmaster,

This is just in case you have an adverse reaction to the medicine. Some people are allergic to Minoxidil and don't know it. Staring small and tapering up like this gives you a chance to find out if you will be O.K. with using the medicine. This technique is actually common with other medications for the same reason.