+ Reply to Thread

Default Propecia question, for once not about ED or sex side effects!

Well I've finally accepted that I am in fact balding and that my hairline is receding. I'm 20 and if not a NW2 will be one soon since I've seen the hairline recede at least 2 cm on my left side in a matter of 3 months. I've been going crazy over the whole propecia question as I've always been very, very wary of drugs to solve any problem. But anyways to cut to the chase I've heard people say that after 5 or 10 years your body starts to get used to propecia and your hair loss will continue again and that how long it takes for your body to grow immune varies from person to person. Can anybody shed any light onto this for me, since if this will only keep my hair for 5 or 10 years(so till im 25 - 30) id rather not start taking this since if I'm gonna go bald 5 years down the road i may as well just get used to it now instead of buying some time then going through this horrible realization and depression over hair loss again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr779 View Post
    Well I've finally accepted that I am in fact balding and that my hairline is receding. I'm 20 and if not a NW2 will be one soon since I've seen the hairline recede at least 2 cm on my left side in a matter of 3 months. I've been going crazy over the whole propecia question as I've always been very, very wary of drugs to solve any problem. But anyways to cut to the chase I've heard people say that after 5 or 10 years your body starts to get used to propecia and your hair loss will continue again and that how long it takes for your body to grow immune varies from person to person. Can anybody shed any light onto this for me, since if this will only keep my hair for 5 or 10 years(so till im 25 - 30) id rather not start taking this since if I'm gonna go bald 5 years down the road i may as well just get used to it now instead of buying some time then going through this horrible realization and depression over hair loss again.
    Well consider that Finasteride for hair loss has only been in the public since 1997 and probably only wide spread used since 2001 - so there have truly been no real long term studies on long term sides or efficacy.

Its more likely dependent upon how sensitive your hair folliciles are to DHT. Unfortunately there is no test for that that I am aware of.

Finasteride (Propecia) only inhibits about 70% of 5AR and thus about 70% of DHT production.

So no matter what, the hair will still be strangled - it just might take longer in some then others. Just no way to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr779 View Post
    Can anybody shed any light onto this for me, since if this will only keep my hair for 5 or 10 years(so till im 25 - 30) id rather not start taking this since if I'm gonna go bald 5 years down the road i may as well just get used to it now instead of buying some time then going through this horrible realization and depression over hair loss again.
    I don't think anyone can answer that very accurately because the medicine is more effective for some poeple than it is for others. I don't think the body gets "used to it" so much as the hair follicles that were damaged by DHT prior to starting treatment simply cannot go on any longer. What is known is that the sooner you start the more effective the medicine is. This makes sense because the amount of damage present in a person who started treatment sooner will not likely be as bad as the damage present in a person who started later. Did that make sense?

There are also other things you can do to try to reverse damage that is already present and help the damaged hair follicles you do have heal. You could use Nizoral shampoo once or twice per week in place of your regular shampoo. You could use Rogaine or generic Minoxidil at least once per day. You could also give low level laser therapy a try. You have options avialble to you to help you extend how long you will get to keep your hair.

Thumbs up

Both comments above make sense. Nobody becomes immune to the effects of Propecia, rather the effectiveness of it working at optimal level could diminish over time - however, it is still working to some extent and will continue to do so. Again, this will differ from person to person and results can vary. Some doctors theorise that that are other factors present in the mechanism of hair loss other than DHT. As a result, the problem is merely being addressed on one level with Propecia and that other factors may influence the condition as a whole.

Like Tracy, I also favour a multi therapy approach and feel that proper implementation of such a regime will provide the best defence against future loss. I have read articles by Dr Bauman that suggest that one relatively common effect, is that the "gap" between where the patient would have been without usage and where they are while they continue to use it, does tend to get larger. In other words, a worst case scenario means that Propecia alone will enable you to distance yourself from your individual pattern and progression of loss, as already pre-determined genetically. Using other therapies on top may serve to give you an extra "edge" as it were.