+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Vitamin D does in fact aide in hair strength and growth. Your hair grows faster in the summer months, ever notice this?

Being sooo low I'd actually get something like a 10,000IU pill and start taking that at the recommended dosage with a follow up VitD screen in a few months. Is that what they gave you?

I personally take a 1000 IU VitD every day. Most people don't get enough anyway, depends entirely upon how much sun they get every day. People in the northern states don't get enough in general.

Ignore the FDA 400 IU on a pill. Thats low and outdated. When its revised they will probably say the RDA is closer to 1000.

From what I've been reading, vitamin D is very important to hair follicles and a deficiency can cause hair loss.

Hopefully correcting that will take care of everything.

Default Update

Alright,

so here's me August 8th, 2012. I'll also repost the picture I first posted back in late February.

I am still not being treated with anything and I have gotten diagnoses from nothing to MPB to "it's the drug prilosec you began taking in January, 2012".

My stylist cut my hair today and said in the 12 weeks she has known me my hair is thinning much faster than it should be for someone who has MPB. She showed me what hair came out during washing my hair in the sink, and she showed me how my temples do not change in anyway. They have remained the same since the age of 19.

I tried getting off the prilosec once, but the acid rebound effect was so strong I got scared and got back on the next day. At this rate, genetically speaking I have no idea how it could be MPB unless it's a really freaky dramatic theatrical version where I'm just going to be bald by December or something... It thins in that crown spot and down my center part and then makes the rest of my head "finer" and more "sparse" throughout my head. My front hairline remains untouched however.

Thoughts? Should I just rip myself off the Prilosec and deal with the withdrawal and see if my hair comes back? I still really really don't want to be on propecia and rogaine, i'll then be on 5 medications at age 28. It's not cool.

Late February

Today (August 8th)

Also I forgot to add that, my vitamin D levels still remain below the normal range.. my body for whatever reason (dunno if it's just me or the drugs) won't stabilize my vitamin D. I've read acid inhibitors like prilosec stop not just stomach acid but all the acid like folic acid needed in the head etc. I haven't had that tested, i'm just aware of what all the other people in prilosec forums say about how they've lost their hair because of the drug and that everyone should get off it asap. sigh.

Also , I wanted to share my cowlick from when I was 23, which was 5 years ago. That was always there. Whatever has happened, you can see it grew from my pre-existing cowlick which I've always had.

Update: 3/24/13

Here are 3 more pictures of my hairline taken today right out of the shower. Can anyone tell if it's gotten worse or stayed the same from my other pictures posted in this thread?

I just can't ever tell what's changing or not. When my head is dry I can make everything look fine, when it's wet my whole scalp just looks clearly balding from the clumping.

I have been told by different doctors (they still haven't all agreed on a diagnoses and I can't afford the 5 hour trip down to the IAHRS doctor + consultation yet) to not take fin due to my already having minor gynecomastia, moderate depression, and moderate anxiety. An endocrinologist also told me not to go near it, as my hormones are already super sensitive as it is :\ They do all tell me to use Rogaine though. I don't know what else to do at this point except allow the balding to naturally occur

I forgot to add that I am no longer on the Acid Blocker "Prilosec". Getting off of it has made numerous other problems stop, and my body once again absorbs vitamins into it, so though I am still Vitamind D and now Vitamin B 12 deficient as well, I should be able to correct it now. Hopefully a positive direction with my hair as well.