+ Reply to Thread

Default Propecia, how long it takes for it to work?

I've been on the so called big 3 for roughly 6 months now, before I started I was hoping by now I would have seen some sort of improvements but unfortunately it seems it has gotten worse which I've read for it to get better the hair loss will be worse off at the start of the treatment.

Anyways, I do plan to keep going with the treatment; maybe for a year? I just wanted to know if anyone has had to wait such long for the treatment to work.

The available documentation for Propecia says you need to take it for twelve full months before you will know if it is working for you. It takes longer before you will know how well it is working for you.

Twelve months is pretty typical for treating hair loss. There is a very good reason for this. First and foremost, it may take more than a couple of hair cycles for any regrown hairs to become cosmetically significant terminal hairs (normal hairs) - and hair grows slowly. Terminal hairs grow about a half inch per month. New regrown hairs from medications do not start out as terminal hairs. They start out as peach fuzz. Eventually the restarted follicles go through enough cycles for the peach fuzz to become terminal hairs. All this takes time - a long time.

Thanks for the reply and yeah like I said I do plan on keeping with the treatment for a year. I was just curious as I've seen some say they stopped or regrown hair after just a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSage View Post
    I was just curious as I've seen some say they stopped or regrown hair after just a couple of months.
    If you understand how hair follicles work and understand hereditary hair loss, you will know that this is not likely. It takes time for damaged hair follicles to heal, re-enlarge and start growing terminal hairs again.

I can understand what you are saying but why would it look worse after six months he is the same situation as me but my hair looks worse than it did before I started the treatment, surley it must get better or be the same after 6 months?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSage View Post
    Thanks for the reply and yeah like I said I do plan on keeping with the treatment for a year. I was just curious as I've seen some say they stopped or regrown hair after just a couple of months.
    My hair loss stopped after the first month of use of finasteride by itself. It's now been 1 year and going on 7 months now.