+ Reply to Thread

Default Am I a good HT candidate?

Hi,

I recently joined the forum and the battle against hair loss.

I'm 26 years old and taking Proscar split into quarters and using the Laser Comb. I have been doing so for about two months. I plan to take Proscar and use the Laser Comb for one year to see how I respond, then I'll take it from there.

About two months ago, I went in for a consultation with a non-IAHRS recommended doctor/clinic (I wasn't aware of the IAHRS before I went in for the consultation), and they recommended a 1,700-2,000 graft HT. But, since I've learned of the IAHRS and went to a non-IAHRS recommended clinic, I'm now a bit skeptical.

How do I know if I'm a good candidate for a HT?

I am attaching photos so you can see where I'm at. I model professionally, along with some acting, so my appearance is quite important to me.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	January 2009-20.jpg

Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1111   Click image for larger version

Name:	January 2009-21.jpg

Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1112  

I’m not a doctor but have been researching this topic for many years. Here’s my story:
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=435

Judging from your pictures it looks to me like you are a good candidate depending on your donor hair. You're hair looks very thick and you still have a good amount of it. Starting Proscar was very smart and might even grow back some of the hair in your crown while keeping what you currently have. Anyone who has done any research knows to go to an IAHRS surgeon which you have figured out.
    Where are you located? There is probably and IAHRS surgeon close to you if you are in the U.S. I would probably have a consultation with one to get an honest examination.

Thanks, Zao. I live in Virginia. I went to the IAHRS site to search for a doctor, but nothing came up for VA. I did find a couple in Charlotte, NC, though.

Default Dr. Baxa reply to Harry West 'Am I a good HT candidate'

Hello Harry,

You have some pretty good question ... but the fact that you also posted a couple of digital photos is of great help!

First off, based just on your age of 26 it does appear that you are having Male Pattern Hair Loss [MPHL]. However, with that said it is important to remember that before you just 'push the button' to have a Surgical Hair Restoration procedure ... You really have to be evaluated with a video-microscope [VM] to see if you have adequate numbers of Vellus hair, which can be stimulated for re-growth by Finasteride alone!!!

Also, it is important to state that at 26 .... You are probably just now starting to see a 'normal' degree of Temporal Recession [which is appropriate for males as we age] .... So do NOT have a procedure just to lower your hairline!! You will regret it later in life!

This is not to say that indeed you may be a candidate for a surgical procedure ... But I would recommend first a consultation with an MD, then move slowly with the other ancillary treatments [i.e. Finasteride & Laser], and re-evaluate in six months!

I always take digital photos of all patients [Mirror Image Program] and save them to review with you after an extended period of time [as neither of us will remember exactly what degree of hair loss you may of been having 6 - 12 months earlier].

Plus the VM definitely helps me show the patient exactly what we are looking at in 'real-time' and evaluating you for increasing Terminal to Vellus Hair changes.

I hope some of this helps you.

Bottom line, is first get a Physician consult ... Then proceed slowly [as needed].

Best Regards,

Mark D. Baxa, M.D.

Thanks, Mark. I may just end up coming to see you since I live in Virginia, and Charlotte seems to be the closest place w/ facilities. I do think that I'll continue with my original plan of Finasteride and the Laser Comb for one year before proceeding, however.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry West View Post
    Thanks, Zao. I live in Virginia. I went to the IAHRS site to search for a doctor, but nothing came up for VA. I did find a couple in Charlotte, NC, though.
    This is correct Harry, you'll need to travel.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Awesome to read Dr. Baxa comments on the VM. It's a great tool which I use myself. A little on the pricey side.

But not only will the video microscope allow one to see hair shaft caliber increases from the use of finasteride but it will also indentify which areas of the scalp are being impeded by DHT. In other words the scope will aid to indentify miniturization, where it is occuring, and to what degree!

Thanks for your transparency and putting up your pics Harry. There is no doubt in my opinion based on observation that you have MPB. My question is what is the most extensive hairloss class in your family history? If you do have any class 6's or more, than you definitely want to monitor those areas of scalp where you have more potential to lose and if in fact finasteride is working efficiently.

Most men respond favorably to finasteride so there is a good chance it is going to work for you. But let's sat that after time tested evaluation, you discover that the meds are not working. Moving ahead with surgery at that point could advance your hairloss and things could take a turn for the worse.

Dr. Baxa's post is good advice!
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Gillenator, you say:

"Most men respond favorably to finasteride so there is a good chance it is going to work for you. But let's say that after time tested evaluation, you discover that the meds are not working. Moving ahead with surgery at that point could advance your hair loss and things could take a turn for the worse."

Your last sentence confuses me. So if meds are not working, then I have no other option? Why could surgery "advance my hair loss"?

Harry,

Basically, if the meds prove to be ineffective, your hairloss will continue. Why? Because MPB is indeed a progressive disease, meaning it does not cease. It is a genetic predisposition.

The trauma of the surgery can cause shockloss to the exisiting weak hair, especially if it is in a diffussed state. The surgery can also advance the rate of loss in the neighboring areas such as the hair behind your temporal points where you have grafts placed. It can put you in a position of having to start to chase your hairloss with more and more surgery.

Now, if the hairloss in your family history is not in the advanced classes, say beyond class 4, then you may very well be okay because you should have enough donor to fill in limited missing areas of loss.

It's when the meds don't work and yet the patient has vast potential to lose far more hair than his donor can provide.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

You still have a lot of hair, which gives it the appearance of being quite thick. concrete companies hamilton