+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Post HT advice

Default Post HT advice

Hi Guys

I am due to have a HT procedure done in a fem months but have a few pressing questions that Im hoping can be resolved.

I am wondering if there is ANY point in getting a HT without propecia use?
    I ask because I was on propecia for a while and seemed to be getting sides. However on reflection, I may have pre programmed my brain as I had read a lot of horror stories and scaremongering before I started the treatment.
    I have been using topicals for the last few years and I havent noticed any major recession/thinning, but I recognize the finite time span within which they can work.

I have heard that cutting propecia into smaller dosages and taking every 2nd day may in fact reduce or eliminate the sides. Does anybody have any experience of this?

I would appreciate some feedback from people who have had a HT and are on a post HT course of treatment. Please no scaremongering

Much appreciated

J

Anyone??

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jairus View Post
    Anyone??
    O.K...

Personally, I don't think there is much point in having hair transplant surgery if you cannot or will not take medication to block the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss.

I have heard that cutting propecia into smaller dosages and taking every 2nd day may in fact reduce or eliminate the sides. Does anybody have any experience of this?
    I've heard of people successfully doing that also. I don't know how much it would reduce effectiveness but it would definitely still be better than taking nothing in most cases.

Other than that, I tend to agree with Tracy that a hair transplant without a DHT suppressant isn't a very useful long-term approach. To be honest I would consider it risky in a lot of cases.
    A few question if you don't mind: where are you on the Norwood Hamilton scale and how fast is that changing? How old are you? How many grafts are you planning to get and in what areas of the scalp? Where are you going for the procedure?
    Not to invade your privacy, these are just factors that might affect how good or bad an idea it is to get this procedure done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    O.K...

Personally, I don't think there is much point in having hair transplant surgery if you cannot or will not take medication to block the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss.
    Cheers Tracy, I will prob start propecia again and see how I get on.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    I've heard of people successfully doing that also. I don't know how much it would reduce effectiveness but it would definitely still be better than taking nothing in most cases.

Other than that, I tend to agree with Tracy that a hair transplant without a DHT suppressant isn't a very useful long-term approach. To be honest I would consider it risky in a lot of cases.
    A few question if you don't mind: where are you on the Norwood Hamilton scale and how fast is that changing? How old are you? How many grafts are you planning to get and in what areas of the scalp? Where are you going for the procedure?
    Not to invade your privacy, these are just factors that might affect how good or bad an idea it is to get this procedure done.

Thanks for reply - Im about a 3 on the NWH scale. I have always had a high hairline and with the recession Im looking to kill 2 birds essentially.

I havent really receeded a lot in the last 6/8 years but I have been on topicals so they have prob helped. Im not balding at a fast rate.

Im 28 and have been receeding since I was 19 or there abouts.

In terms of grafts I would be looking to get around 2500 - The majority are for the re-establishment of the hairline. My crown isnt too bad so the remainder will prob be put in there.

The procedure will be done at H&W - I have done a LOT of research and the general consensus seems to be these guys.

J

I will prob start propecia again and see how I get on.
    If you do, start very low and work up to find what dose you can tolerate. I cannot say much more than that because the possible side effects do not apply to me.

The procedure will be done at H&W
    They are spoken of very highly.

If you're a NW3 after 9 years of hair loss, it doesn't sound like your balding is very aggressive. If you do decide to take finasteride again you could likely maintain the results of your transplant for a very long time (i.e. prevent the native hairs from falling out).
    From what I've read, if you go to Hasson & Wong you will be in good, ethical hands! Good luck!