Receding hairline adds how many years to your appearance?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • john2399
    • Jan 2012

Receding hairline adds how many years to your appearance?

People are always telling me i look older. I am 19 with a receding hairline. can a receding hairline really add that many years to a person's appearance?
  • jman91
    • Jan 2012

Yes, unfortunately it does add years to your appearance in most cases. However it will not make all people look older as this really does depend on a lot of other factors e.g their age, the stage on the Norwood scale and characteristics of their mpb and whether or not they have other physical traits of a person older than they are.

Also bare in mind that you can do some damage control if you think something like baldness is ageing your appearance by working on another of aspect of your appearance to compensate (that could be hitting the gym more, wearing different clothing, keeping nice teeth, taking more care of your skin etc)

For example you may have one person who is in bad physical shape who is completely bald at 25 making him look 10 years older where as someone else who is in much better physical shape who also goes bald at 25 may only appear 5 years older than they really are, or quite possible much less than that!

Comment

• KeepTheHair
      • Mar 2010

Years isn't unattractive. It is the frame of your face that you lose.

It looks less fashionable. Something that women are quite obsessed with.

Comment

• chrisis
        • Feb 2012

Yes definitely! I have a young face for a 28 year old, but a friend I've been confiding in says he can understand why my receded hair bothers me because it's the only thing that betrays the fact I'm heading towards 30.

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
          • Jan 2011

It definitely does.

I'm 23 and some people who don't know me, may think i'm a teenager....until they see my head.

As long as i'm wearing a hat, I get the "Oh, I thought you were 18", when I tell them my age. If i'm not wearing it, well no one says anything.

Comment

• chrisis
            • Feb 2012

I had a party on Wednesday night and one of the attendees thought I was around 20. Considering I'm 29 in July that's pretty good going. If I didn't disguise my hairline I think she'd have guessed closer to the truth.

Comment

• clandestine
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by chrisis
              I had a party on Wednesday night and one of the attendees thought I was around 20. Considering I'm 29 in July that's pretty good going. If I didn't disguise my hairline I think she'd have guessed closer to the truth.
              chrisis, how are you going about disguising your hairline?

Comment

• chrisis
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by clandestine
                chrisis, how are you going about disguising your hairline?
                I have a good hairdresser who keeps length at sections where it matters, so I can style it and blend it in.

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by chrisis
                  Well you're lucky, I need a whole entire hat to disguise my ugly head. No hairdresser would help me lol.

Comment

• clandestine
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by PatientlyWaiting
                    Well you're lucky, I need a whole entire hat to disguise my ugly head. No hairdresser would help me lol.
                    If that's you in your profile pic, your head looks very nice imo.

Comment

• MacB87
                      • Mar 2012

I think when you hit your mid 20's and you keep a realistic hairstyle (not a combover) and a good sense of humour then you'll look your age no problem.

Hit the gym, keep on a decent diet, keep your skin healthy and you'll have no bother!

Comment

• john2399
                        • Jan 2012

anyone think it can add atleast 5-10 years to your age thou even if you do workout and stuff?

Comment

• MacB87
                          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by john2399
                          anyone think it can add atleast 5-10 years to your age thou even if you do workout and stuff?
                          Honestly, being bald in your teens and early 20's then yes, some people will think you're older because it's not so common to see bald people that young. Once you hit your mid 20's then it evens out. Just make sure you shave it off, dont try to cling on to every thinning hair on your head!

Comment

Working...