+ Reply to Thread

Default I dont think propecia is for me :(

Hey people

Im currently 5 weeks in to propecia. I know it can take 6 - 12 months for it to work but i think im one of the unlucky ones who are getting sexual side affects.

Without going in to detail im not waking up in the morning "feeling in the mood" and am generally not feeling the need to getting on it on with a girl. This has only started since i begun taking propecia.
    Im unsure what to do because at he moment i am single so unless i get lucky on a night out i dont have a regulare sex life, so i guess it wont harm me taking them until i do meet someone.
    This makes me feel abit down because once i stop taking them ill know im going to be bald sometime in the near future.

My hair seems to be rapidly receding and im only 23 so leaves me feeling upset because then i worry ill never get a girl (even though i know a relationship is not about hairstyles - i just think ill feel less confident) i was really close to shaving my hair the other day and to be done with it all but just lost the bottle. Arghhhh

Sorry for the rant lads!

I think you might just be depressed, consult a physician before quiting, could be something else. It is so remote for a young man to have side effects from propecia, its mainly mid life men that do, i think you have psyched yourself out.

Hi mate,

If it really is affecting your sex drive, have you tried anything else to boost your libido and general wellbeing?

-More exercise (weight training, cardiovascular training)
    -Suppluments (Ginkgo Biloba, Korean Ginseng, Saw Palmetto, L-Arginine, Zinc, Magnesium)

Also as Speegs pointed out, it could be a mental thing. The above remedies will help with that.

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Daz---- in some men, the sides will exist for a bit, but then disappear in the next few months.

Another point not brought up is the mental reaction to taking a pill that may or may not interfere with our libido. I have spoken to many men who have developed a mental issue simply due to reading the warning label---over time, many of these men have overcome this issue by having patience, and in many cases a caring, understanding partner.

Given the fact that you are single, I think continuing taking the meds, monitoring yourself is a solid approach to this issue. If you need to lose 10-15 pounds, or need a tan, do it. Buy a new suit or something---but don't dwell on this---if these problems or thoughts persist, you can discontinue use and any actual side effects will go away.

Remember, do not let your hair or some Hollywood image of "manhood" define you---be the confident person you are normally and things will work out.

Take Care,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

Thank you all again for your replies, i really apreciate it.

Known me i have probably got it in to my head that the tabs are affecting my libido and therefore have convinced myself it is them when hopefully it will be just down to worrying to much !!

Im really fit in terms of exercise so cant improve that (before taking the meds my libido was really high, i think due to the amount of exercise i put in)
    These supplements you were on about - are they safe?? do they carrry side effects aswell??

Once again - thank you

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG View Post
    Hi mate,

If it really is affecting your sex drive, have you tried anything else to boost your libido and general wellbeing?

-More exercise (weight training, cardiovascular training)
    -Suppluments (Ginkgo Biloba, Korean Ginseng, Saw Palmetto, L-Arginine, Zinc, Magnesium)

Also as Speegs pointed out, it could be a mental thing. The above remedies will help with that.
    would i need take all of them supplements or just pick one and see if it works??

Quote Originally Posted by daz1985 View Post
    would i need take all of them supplements or just pick one and see if it works??
    You can pick and choose. Try each one at a time to see which one has what effect. Do some research on Wikipedia or elsewhere.. I'd try the first two first. I just got back on them, and noticed a huge difference after one day. Magnesium and Zinc can normally be supplemented in a good multivitamin, but you can take extra if you want (just don't overdo it).

L-Arginine (and a varient, AAKG) is often taken by bodybuilders, and studies I've read found it improved erection strength considerably after 2 weeks in ~80% of men.

Aside from increasing libido, I have read Saw Palmetto is good for your hair too, so that's another bonus.

With all these kinds of supplements, I think it is important to 'cycle' them, meaning giving your body a rest from them periodically so it doesn't become dependent.

e.g. take a supplement for a month, then a few days to a week off, and back on them again. Or two months on, two weeks off, etc.