+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy Can drinking cause hair loss?

a friend of mine told me that alcohol usage can cause hair loss! is this true? Am I making my hair loss worse by drinking?

Any thoughts? this is very disturbing.

Doesn't alcohol increase estrogen levels? If anything wouldn't it be good for your hair? Drink Up!

Yeah that's my theory too. Drink up baby! Im no doctor but from what I understand alcohol increases estrogen and suppresses testosterone. So I certainly dont think it's going to hurt you hair-wise. And who knows maybe it can actually help.

Question It's difficult to say.

Before I comment, I would like to make it clear that I am NOT a physician and this information is my opinion based on over a decade of experience being a consumer advocate for men and women suffering with hair loss, and from a layman's understanding of the subject matter.

While moderate alcohol consumption is known to have positive, possibly even protective, cardiovascular health effects, the truth is people who drink in excess like Dave (just kidding man)on a regular basis cause their body's to undergo significant stress reactions that can lead to a host of physical and psychological issues.

As we all know heavy alcohol consumption taxes the liver, and other vital organs which can contribute to a breakdown in the body's "normal” functioning. The liver for instance helps to manage hormones in the body's metabolism. As we know, hormones are basically chemical messengers that coordinate the functions of all of our organs and tissues. Each hormone is secreted from a particular gland and distributed throughout the body to act in a very specific way.

For hormones to function normally, your body can not be over taxed by physical or psychological stress. Heavy alcohol consumption can seriously impair the functions of the hormone releasing glands and potentially cause serious medical issues. Since alcohol's wide ranging effects on the hormone system can present many health concerns, there is good reason to assume that in some cases heavy, habitual drinking can cause hair loss.

On the other hand you don’t see many bald bums(winos) around, so who knows? Dave and M Law might be right.

Smile

Yeah, just like that guy said............"Bums are never bald! Ever seen a bald bum?"

Default I sure hope not

Good god, I hope drinking doesn't cause hair loss. Otherwise I am doing a number on myself. It's my preferred choice of treatment.

yeah, mine too. actually i havent been hitting it as hard lately with the booze. but eight years ago when i was first facing the realization that i was losing losing my hair i certainly used alcohol to deal with my depression.

Default Good Show Tonight!

Hey Dave it's Paul here,

So did you hit the bottle after the show tonight? I had a few while I was tuned in. Is Joe from Staten Island really bed ridden because he's bald???

So is the official conclusion that we should all keep drinking?

hey paul, no i didnt hit the bottle after the show last night. ive actually been really good lately.

i dont know about joe--im worried about him. i hope he is exaggerating about his situation and being bed ridden and all. i think he may need real help though.
    Last edited by davesolazzo; 11-24-2008 at 08:31 AM.