Can drinking cause hair loss?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • becky25
    • Nov 2008

I thought the same thing after I spent 4 months in Ireland getting shit faced and my hair looked awful. Good thing everyone else was too drunk to notice. But I do know that red wine increases HDL which decreases blood cholesterol and cholesterol is used to make sex steroids....so I think it helps. Either way high HDL is associated with a long life so you may be bald, but your gonna live a long time. Maybe even long enough to see a permanent cure, so drink to that.

Comment

• THLG
      • Mar 2010

Yea and drinking also causes free radicals in the body which can lead to high levels of toxins in the body ...My aunt was an alcoholic and she was pretty bald we used to make fun of her as a child how things change..

Comment

• KeepTheHair
        • Mar 2010

Hair loss causes drinking.

Comment

• Clinicspots
          • Aug 2015

Alcohol is a diuretic, so it causes accelerated dehydration. A lack of body fluid causes dry and brittle hair. Excessive alcohol consumption can deplete levels of iron in the body, leading to hair loss.

Comment

• HelloVera
            • Oct 2015

Really hard to say because my Gf's dad can drink 5/6 cans a night and he's mid 50's with the perfect hairline, i mean sickly jealous norwood 1 hairline, my dad used to drink a lot when working away and he had hippy hair into his 70's, my uncle drinks like a machine but again decent norwood 2 in his 60's but my Aunties husband Norwood 7 at 60 and since he was mid 40's and my Gf's Brother drinks alot after work and is now thinning at 30. Notice Drinkers go Grey earlier though.

Comment

• LogicalBald068
              • Oct 2015

Hi, There are three main reasons as to why drinking (alcohol) causes hair loss:
              • Hair loss due to alcohol consumption is mainly due to the fact that alcohol affects the levels of estrogens and zinc in the body, which subsequently affect hair growth.
              1.Excessive drinking RAISES the level of estrogens, high levels of estrogens causes hair loss.
              2.Excessive drinking REDUCES zinc levels in the body. Zinc is essential for healthy hair growth.
              • In addition, constant consumption of alcohol can also induce a lower level of vitamins B and C in your body.
              • Furthermore, folic acid levels can also fall which is also vital in maintaining healthy and strong hair.
              The fact that alcoholics rarely have a balanced diet can also add to vitamin deficiencies which contribute to weakened hair.

Comment

Working...