+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Hi, 28 year old, lack of hair on crown

Hey all.

I am currently 28, and I became aware of a minor spot on the crown about 4 years ago. For about 3 years time, it was a minor bother, I was not sure as to whether it was the beginning of hair loss or just a hair whorl I had since I was a child being more pronounced.

I kept a loose eye on it, with the help of mirror and camera, but it did not start to genuinely bother me until about 6-7 months ago.

I would say that it had not rapidly diminished, in fact, at times I've not been sure if I'm just paranoid about it, and that it is a non issue. At any rate, I have been watching it closely, and taking pictures.

Over the last month or two however, it went from a concern into an obsession. It appears to me to have gotten significantly worse in a significantly small amount of time, noticeable change in 1-2 weeks after years of little to no change. Over the last two weeks I have trouble thinking of anything else, and I have studied hair loss quite a bit lately.

Even now, it isn't quite what I'd call severe hair loss, but it is getting to being worrisome, and I don't feel comfortable with it. I often feel obligated to wear a hat or beanie. It has finally got to the point where I feel a strong sense of urgency to do whatever I can to turn back this tide.

I will post a pic or a few in a bit, but here's some information.
    -no baldness on mothers side of family, tons on fathers side(I had though mothers side was what mattered, and so I hadn't feared going bald)
    -I've always been susceptible to stress, and I lost a lot of hairs when I was 19-20 a midst a mental breakdown of sorts, but had since grown them back, never had a bald patch from it
    -Several months ago, I had small lighter hairs in my crown. If I died them, almost all skin was covered up and I felt confident. The small light hairs seem to have gone away, and this concerns me.
    -I recently moved, and have been relatively stressed lately, but I have my doubts that this is the cause of my problems

Anyways, among my research I've learned that stopping DHT is integral in preventing further loss, and allowing regrowth. I've heard propecia(finasteride) is effective, but I fear the sexual side effects too much to use at this stage. So as a result, I've been looking into all natural ways of dealing with DHT(Saw Palmetto, Pumpkin seed, etc.). I have been somewhat interested in Provillus.

My current planned course of action is to aggressively take supplements geared at stopping DHT and 5 alpha reductase. I have formulated my own regimen based on some treatments on the market as well as my own research. I'll put a complete list of this regimen up if anyone is interested later.

Another prong of my attack is going to be the use of a shampoo http://www.swansonvitamins.com/AVL025/ItemDetail
    This shampoo has saw palmetto as well as a few other supplements that supposedly help attack DHT as well.

Thirdly, I am going to start Minoxidil soon. I plan on going to doctor this week to see if I can confirm the cause of my hair loss, then go ahead with the use of Minoxidil. I am somewhat hopeful since Minoxidil is most effective seemingly for people with my description.

Also, as a side, I'm keeping my eye on a product called cabooki. It shakes fibers onto your hair and is a concealer. I want to try to fix before I try to conceal though. I am impressed with the effect of that product though.

Ok, all that is out of the way. I appreciate any advice and encouragement anyone can give me.

Thanks,
    mnx

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

These are both from a few days ago.

Not great lighting, but this was only 2 months ago.

Also to note I haven't lost a single hair from the front. At first I took relief from that thinking it might rule out MPB, but then I learned it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Inactive

I wouldn't bet its MPB, some people seem to have that appearance on the crown naturally.

Glad to hear You are staying off propecia.. its a health hazard. Its now officially linked to permanent erectile dysfunction, cancer, depression etc. by 2 top US studies of Dr. Traish(Boston) and Dr. Irwig(Washington)..
    http://www.examiner.com/courts-in-ba...#ixzz1mLgDjzw3

I myself am using several natural DHT inhibitors.. 510mg of beta sitosterol, 300mg saw palmetto, 200mg pygeum etc. As for saw palmetto in the shampoo, its good stuff overall, but I haven't seen reports of it beeing to block DHT when used topically. It can't hurt though, so if You wish give it a try and do send some updates.

Inactive

For stress btw, I currently use B100, complex of all B vitamins, 1500mg vitamin C.. I also use 5-HTP 100mg, but unless You're really stressed and have trouble with sleeping like I do, You might want to avoid it. Melatonin is also good for sleep BUT can easily leave You groggy the next day.

Hi mnx,

It does not matter which side of your family has hereditary hair loss. You can inherit it from either side.

What you have going on does not look bad but it does look like the typical start of hereditary hair loss. If this does bother you, you should see a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss. Here is a link to help you find a good one. Though these doctors are hair transplant surgeons, don't let that scare you off. You do not need a transplant and they will see that. They will tell you what you need to do to manage it.

http://www.iahrs.org/hair-transplant/

Provillus is a complete scam. Natural DHT blockers do nothing to slow down, stop or reverse hereditary hair loss. No one has ever been able to slow down, stop or reverse hereditary hair loss with natural DHT blockers. Taking the natural course is a waste of time, money and your hair. Don't listen to the fear mongers about Propecia. The medicine does have possible side effects but the percentage of males who experience them is very small and the side effects usually go away, even for those who continue to use the medication. Talk to a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss to get the real information about Propecia.

You can find the most truthful information on treating hereditary hair loss at this link:

http://www.americanhairloss.org/

You will learn that there are only two medications that are proven to work and FDA approved to treat hereditary hair loss. Those medications are Propecia (or generic Finasteride) and Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil). Nizoral shampoo and low level laser therapy can help as adjunct treatments but everything else on the market is a complete scam. Don't fall for the scams.

Tracy C, I've read people who've had success with saw palmetto. The number of men who have side effects from finasteride is up for debate.

I think that's the balanced view on this topic, since it's a complex and uncertain one.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Tracy C, I've read people who've had success with saw palmetto.
    Ask them to provide photo evidence as proof.

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    I wouldn't bet its MPB, some people seem to have that appearance on the crown naturally.

Glad to hear You are staying off propecia.. its a health hazard. Its now officially linked to permanent erectile dysfunction, cancer, depression etc. by 2 top US studies of Dr. Traish(Boston) and Dr. Irwig(Washington)..
    http://www.examiner.com/courts-in-ba...#ixzz1mLgDjzw3

I myself am using several natural DHT inhibitors.. 510mg of beta sitosterol, 300mg saw palmetto, 200mg pygeum etc. As for saw palmetto in the shampoo, its good stuff overall, but I haven't seen reports of it beeing to block DHT when used topically. It can't hurt though, so if You wish give it a try and do send some updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    For stress btw, I currently use B100, complex of all B vitamins, 1500mg vitamin C.. I also use 5-HTP 100mg, but unless You're really stressed and have trouble with sleeping like I do, You might want to avoid it. Melatonin is also good for sleep BUT can easily leave You groggy the next day.
    Thanks for the reply. I recently started using melatonin for stress, also started taking multivitamins to help with that. I'll look into 5HTP, thanks.

I'm basically trying to take a bunch of different natural supplements that have shown some 5 alpha reductase inhibiting ability in various studies, as well as certain nutrients that nourish the hair I do have(msm, silica, PABA etc).

I intend to update as I go.

It's true I've not seen photo evidence, but the problem is not many people are bothering with saw palmetto, given that finasteride is heavily promoted as superior. Of those men, a fraction will be actually administering it effectively (the correct type of saw palmetto, the correct dose, in conjunction with beta sitoserol and over a long enough time period). Of those men, a fraction will be documenting it with photos over the space of several years. Of those men, only a fraction will actually be successful at controlling their hair loss (as with finasteride).

It's easy to understand why it's hard to get testimonials, let alone testimonials with photographic proof.

All I'm saying is the topic is too complicated to boldly write-off saw palmetto.

We're all feeling around in the dark here.