+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by itssomuchfun View Post
    Wow, you have the exact same hair loss pattern I had at 28. I'm 31 now. I didn't do anything about it at the time because no noticed it and everywhere else was thick with no receding hairline. I agree it's probably the onset of MPB, especially since you have hairloss in your family.

All the other posters here seem to have covered everything pretty well. See a hair loss dermatologist and see what they can do for treatment. Make sure you weigh the risks/rewards of drugs like propecia/proscar. I have chosen not to try it because the possibility (I didn't care how small the possibility) of sexual side effects, both long or short term. I started Rogaine this year and it has been slow going and there has been some shedding involved which is something you might want to keep in mind if you start it. It's like a lot of drugs where it makes things worse before it makes things better, but supposedly if you stick with it for 6-8 months. Also it apparently works better when you're younger. The company Rogaine claims 85% of men regrew hair, but I've seen clinical studies that report it's closer to 55%.

Lastly, start conditioning yourself for what baldness might be like. I rarely see people suggest this on websites. With treatment you may keep your hair looking pretty damn good for many years, but eventually it will fall out if it's in your genes. I wouldn't hold my breath for "the cure" even though there have been some great advances and I don't think it's healthy to pin so much hope on the possibility coming soon, even though I hope it does.
    Did it happen aggressively for you? How is it now?

Quote Originally Posted by mnx View Post
    Did it happen aggressively for you? How is it now?
    Yeah it's been pretty aggressive over the last 8 months. I had a thick head of hair beforehand, just thinning at the crown. It's still coming out pretty badly. Don't know how much longer before I'm gonna need to buzz it. My doctor isn't sure now if I have aggressive mpb or telogen effluvium. I'm having allergy tests done this week to see if it might be the chemicals in Rogaine that is causing the redness/irritation on my scalp, which he thinks might be a reason I'm having hair loss all over. I also have drops to put on my head. I'm none too pleased since he got my hopes up a few weeks back when he said it was probably just the diet/weight loss that was causing the excessive hair loss. Now he says if the allergy tests don't show anything then I should go on Propecia. Despite the successes of so many others I don't want to go on the drug.

I didn't want to go on Propecia either, but to be honest, it was the biggest anti-climax of my life when I actually did get round to taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    I didn't want to go on Propecia either, but to be honest, it was the biggest anti-climax of my life when I actually did get round to taking it.
    Kirby; how long have you been on propecia?