+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rogaine foam with propecia

I have posted recently about my massive shed/thinning while taking propecia while being on it for 2.5 months. I have heard this could be normal, but the shedding is all over (front,sides,back). My questions is, should i begin to mix in rogaine foam to help alleviate this, thus initiating hair growth. thanks

The hairs that are shedding are from the follicles that have been damaged by DHT. Shedding is associated with every treatment for hereditary hair loss that actually works. Shedding means the treatment is working. The shedding will stop eventually and with continued use your hair will grow back a little thicker than it was before. Whether to add Rogaine or generic Minoxidil is up to you. Where are you on this chart?

Unless you have a larger head of hair, I'm starting to think if the shed is only within those first 2-3 months for most people, it might make sense to keep a really really short hair cut, so that any loss seen during that phase basically just blends in.

i would say im a 2A or so with tiny bald spot in the back, i have pretty long hair, but since taking propecia i have noticed a recesion in my hair line and temples and was curious if i should add in rogaine to these areas, since it is widely believed that propecia does not work for these areas, or does it?

also, when you say after the shedding is over and over the course of several months that my hair will return thicker than before, so the shed hair will eventually grow back all over? seems impossible, but id like to believe it

Quote Originally Posted by mcw View Post
    i would say im a 2A or so with tiny bald spot in the back...
    You would seem to have a combination pattern of 2a and 3v then.

...since it is widely believed that propecia does not work for these areas, or does it?
    Both Rogaine and Propecia work wherever the hair follicles have not yet died. So if your hair loss is recent, the follicles in those areas might not be dead yet. For Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil), focus your application of the medicine on your vetex and mid anterior where the medicine will do the most good. Before washing your hands, dry the medicine off your fingers by wiping them off in your hair line.

...so the shed hair will eventually grow back all over? seems impossible, but id like to believe it
    The follicles that have shed out hairs should grow hair back. This takes time. You need to give your regimen at least one full year to see.

About four to six months after you start Rogaine, you should start seeing peach fuzz starting to grow. After those hair follicles cycle a few times that peach fuzz becomes normal cosmetically significant hair.

If you are not yet using Nizoral shampoo once per week, you probably should think about starting it.

ok thanks tracy! i have been using Nioxin #1 every other day or so, should I also add in Nizoral shampoo. So overall what would you recommend. Im 22 and had no real evidence of balding so i got on propecia (2 months 2 wks) and my hair has drastically shed and thinnned all over. do you think i should hold off rogaine for now in hopes that the shed hair will eventually return. the reason im so inquizative is because as of right now, i highly regret ever giving propecia a try, and want to ponder all the affects of rogaine before i give it a try?

again, thanks

Im 22 and had no real evidence of balding so...
    I'm confused. If you had no evidence of balding, why did you start a treatment regimen for hair loss? You said eariler that you were a 2a with a tiny bald spot in the back. That is evidence of balding.

i had to recession in my hairline before taking propecia, and a tiny little bald spot (barely noticeable), and noticed slight shed 10 hairs or less in the shower. so i went to the derm and she diagnosed it as mpb, and put me on propecia in order to preserve what i have and as a precautionary bc my father is bald. But while being on propecia the past 2.5 months, I am now a #2,3 bc of the "shed"

no recession*