+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Anyone who had eliminated side effects of finasteride with lower dose

Title pretty much sums up this topic. I always do a lot of research before posting a question, but I'd like some more feedback on this if possible.

Are there any guys who have experienced side effects on the recommended dosage of finasteride (1mg-1.25mg), and then successfully eliminated them with a lower dose?

If so:

1) What was your new dose?
    2) What did you notice in terms of your hair?
    3) Did the side effects go away completely? Or is it a compromise?

My story:

Started taking finasteride in November.
    Side effects hit me in February: fewer erections, less volume and thinner consistency of semen, lower libido/interest in sex.
    Stopped taking finasteride this week and waiting for my libido to return before considering my options. I am still applying minoxidil and using Nizoral shampoo, as I assume they aren't responsible for the sides.

Thanks

P.S. I don't really want a debate on whether finasteride causes side effects or not! I've heard both sides of the argument and I'm simply interested in a solution to my situation

The risk of finasteride side effects does seem to correlate, at least to some extent, with dosage. The rates of side effects for 5 mg users are significantly higher than for 1 mg users. This is especially true for loss of libido (which is something like 2-3% for 1 mg users but 18+ % for 5 mg users).

It would probably be worth experimenting with lower doses if 1 mg side effects are intolerable. Maybe try 1/2, and if that doesn't help, maybe 1/3 or 1/4. But at a certain point there will be almost no positive effect from the drug; 0.1 mg seems to do virtually nothing for DHT inhibition when you look at blood tests.

Thanks. Going from the studies and charts I think 0.25mg would be an acceptable compromise. Waiting for my libido to come back first before I touch it again though. It's actually scared me a bit

It's been 2-3 days. I guess it could take a few weeks.

Definitely see a doctor if your libido doesn't return to normal (but I'm sure you know that already).

If you start taking the drug again at lower doses, maybe consider having your DHT levels tested before you start, and then every so often after that. This will help give you an idea of how much DHT is being suppressed and whether it's worth continuing.

2-3 days isn't that long after stopping so it's not a bad sign that the side effects haven't improved yet.

The actual length of time it takes can vary - much like the time it takes for them to appear. Many users who experience side effects notice them much sooner than you did. Some users report that the side effects improved in a week while for others it can take longer.

I'm saying this so you don't go and read a post from someone was back to normal in a week and then worry when you aren't.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Default I'm gonna quit fin for a bit or lower the dosage too

My story:

I've been taking 1 - 1.25 mg per day since 1998. I'm 34 now. Over the years I've had no problems sexually besides a slight lower libido, watery semen and things like no morning wood. I honestly didn't care because I could rise to the occasion easily and to me that wasn't a problem. Sometimes I took supplements to increase libido and that seemed to help actually. You can get lots of natural supplements online. I won't post any name brands cuz I'm not a shill.

I did start to have depression / anxiety problems over the last several years and lately its been particularly bad. Just problems focusing and concentrating. I just rolled with it and didn't let it bother me but now I'm sick of feeling spaced out. Sometimes I would feel fine but other times just totally out of it. I live a healthy lifestyle with eating and exercising but I still would get the foggy feeling. I've taken anti-depressants that didn't really help but I noticed that taking clonazepam really helped clear my head though.

I'm hoping to lower my fin dose but I might just quit altogether as I'd rather be able to think straight. I don't know if fin is to blame for my psychological state but perhaps over the long-term it has played a role.

My plan is to quit for a while (probably lose hair ..) and attempt a natural regimen. Once my head is straight I will probably start fin at a lower dose.

I think you can gauge the level of how much fin is affecting you by whether you have morning wood or not.

I don't like the idea of being off fin because I think it has really helped my hair over the years! So hopefully I can get a lower dose that works for me.

I'm also NOT yet convinced that my mental state is from fin because:

1. All my docs including psychiatrist have said it wouldn't give me depression/anxiety
    2. I have friends on it and are fine
    3. I have depression / anxiety in my family

Anyway I'll be checking to see if you find a good dosage. I read that .2mg every 3 days is pretty good.

since 1998??? Fin has maintained your hair for 14 years?

You should do some tests to see what could be causing those side effects... It might be Propecia but it might be not!

Default I know, I don't want to stop fin

But my anxiety is bad and it's becoming more important than my hair fml

Anyway, the good news is I found some pics I took on exactly Feb 2, 2002 and just took one right now for comparison. Again, I started Propecia close to when it came out in 1998. The GP hadn't even heard of it when I went to the clinic.

Over the years I've taken nothing but fin (1mg then later 1.25mg). In the last 5 years I've been using a Ginger Scalp shampoo with Piroctine olamine in it that I honestly think has done wonders for my hair. I used to be paranoid about my hair until I starting using that shampoo.

I tried minox for about 3 months in 2004 but hated it so I stopped.

Before and after shots. (white shirt is 2002, grey is today)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	feb2_02.jpg

Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	13621   Click image for larger version

Name:	feb20_12.jpg

Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	13622  

wow you barely lost any hair between 2002 and 2012

Can you imagine what would happen if you stop using it?

Go see a doctor about those side effects! It could be a thyroid problem which in some cases CAN be triggered by Propecia!

Hey Chrisis I know what you mean. When you ask a simple question around here you get bombarded with everything but a simple answer to you question. Oh well. I just started Fin last week and am hoping for the best. If I have the sides that everyone speaks of I will stop taking it. Let me know if a smaller dose decreases your side effects. Good luck.

PS: it seems to me that a lot more than 2% of men get side effects from Fin. Let the smart-ass useless comments begin!!