+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Willy -

Please take my advice and be VERY careful with the clonazepam. It is the hellish withdrawal from that drug and the resultant neurological damage that forced me to quit taking fin and all other meds. It has been over two years since I stopped and I am still not well. Trust me, benzodiazepine withdrawal is far more hellish than any side effect fin could ever cause.

2020 -

I was on fin for 14 years and maintained ALL of my hair, even regrew my juvenile hairline. I stopped almost two years ago and the hairline has been slowly creeping up.

Quote Originally Posted by jayth View Post
    Hey Chrisis I know what you mean. When you ask a simple question around here you get bombarded with everything but a simple answer to you question.
    Dude I gave him advice - go see a doctor. Don't expect your side effects to go away once you discontinue Propecia because those "side effects" may not even be from Propecia!

Quote Originally Posted by jayth View Post
    PS: it seems to me that a lot more than 2% of men get side effects from Fin. Let the smart-ass useless comments begin!!
    it seems?? Of course it SEEMS that way because only those who DO get side effects post on the Internet... that's just how it is.

Just to correct something I wrote in this thread, the rate of reduced libido for 5 mg finasteride users was actually 10%. The 18% (18.5 to be exact) was for impotence.
    But, I also see that all participants in the 5 mg study were over 55 years old (compared to the study for 1 mg finasteride, which used men 18-41), so at least part of the higher rate of impotence was for that reason. In fact 12.2% of the control group (taking only placebo) in the 5 mg study also reported impotence.

That does still suggests 5.3% of cases resulted from finasteride, compared to less than 1% who experienced E.D. in 1 mg trials (using the same formula of subtracting the control group from the finasteride group). So there is still definitely correlation between dosage and the rate of (at least some) side effects.

Hopefully that all makes sense to somebody besides myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Just to correct something I wrote in this thread, the rate of reduced libido for 5 mg finasteride users was actually 10%. The 18% (18.5 to be exact) was for impotence.
    But, I also see that all participants in the 5 mg study were over 55 years old (compared to the study for 1 mg finasteride, which used men 18-41), so at least part of the higher rate of impotence was for that reason. In fact 12.2% of the control group (taking only placebo) in the 5 mg study also reported impotence.

That does still suggests 5.3% of cases resulted from finasteride, compared to less than 1% who experienced E.D. in 1 mg trials (using the same formula of subtracting the control group from the finasteride group). So there is still definitely correlation between dosage and the rate of (at least some) side effects.

Hopefully that all makes sense to somebody besides myself.
    which study was that? Post the link

The results I posted were for the MTOPS study. I'm now noticing that other 5 mg studies are showing much lower rates of side effects and I'm not sure why (maybe has to do with the patient samples used).

http://www.drugs.com/pro/proscar.html

The PLESS study shows no difference between the control and finasteride groups RE: impotence (and some other sides) after year 1. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    The results I posted were for the MTOPS study. I'm now noticing that other 5 mg studies are showing much lower rates of side effects and I'm not sure why (maybe has to do with the patient samples used).

http://www.drugs.com/pro/proscar.html

The PLESS study shows no difference between the control and finasteride groups RE: impotence (and some other sides) after year 1. Hmm.
    It also shows that people on placebo got the same side effects at almost the same rate as people on Propecia....

Yeah that's what I meant. After year 1 the rates get very similar (even identical for some sides) in the PLESS study.

Just to be clear, these studies are for 5 mg finasteride tablets (Proscar) and not 1 mg Propecia tablets.

How does someone who has suffered side effects interpret this study? I assume it means they may as well have been given sugar pills and the probability of having side effects would have been virtually the same.

Correct?

The study indicates that in years 2-4, the rate of side effects between the control and finasteride groups became extremely similar (not quite equal).
    I haven't read the complete study, so there are probably factors we're not considering.
    This doesn't mean that your sides were unrelated to finasteride or that they were psychosomatic. But it does seem to suggest that they have a high chance of resolving themselves if you continue on the medication. (Consider the side effect rates of year 1 vs. years 2-4 in that study).

That said, I don't see anything wrong with lowering your dose for the short term and seeing how you feel.

I'm not sure we know enough about these studies.

What if the people who took the finasteride and experienced lower libido withdrew from the study? That would lower the % after 2 year. Heck, some may have withdrawn before the first year.

Not trolling. Serious questions...