+ Reply to Thread

Default Rapid thinning in early 20's - head on fire

Hey guys, I'm new to posting but I've been observing for the past month or so. I apologize in advance for the poor pictures and long message I know is going to follow:

So, a brief introduction to my problem: I'm 24 (turned so this month), and I've been experience a pain that can only be described as a burning/pulling sensation that is ever-present on my scalp. This pain is frequently followed by a nice little trail of hair.

I should set the stage real quick for my situation: In May of 2011 I moved to Japan just after getting a house in the states and spending the past year moving into it. I had lived with my girlfriend at the time for the totality of that year, as well as the prior two years. In a moment of random spontaneity we both decided to up and move to Japan. However, she had a a good job at the time and couldn't just immediately leave, so I decided to gone on ahead of her. Here I lived for 4 months by myself waiting (and working). Long story short, she came for two days then left (the whole "I changed-you changed" thing), leaving me here. Boo hoo, not the main point.

Anyways, since the first week I arrived in Japan this burning sensation has been present. However, since the day my ex took off I've been actually seeing a rapid decrease in hair volume. (To help get the timeline straight, she left in early August).

To just fully grasp the hit my goofy scalp was taking from this obnoxious and increasing problem of "firehead" (literally, it feels like someone set my head aflame), I decided to go with the buzz having never really had my hair short in my life before.

I would take better pictures but I don't have a camera other than my iphone. Either way, the following pictures show, albeit poorly, my hair from May to December. The diffuse thinning all over the top of my scalp became noticeable to me before I buzzed in November.

Now the question I pose to all you, since everyone is so well researched here, is this: does MPB (which I'm certain I have) usually obliterate the entirety of your scalp within a matter of two months? And does it usually do it with such an intense pain that it's difficult to sleep at night?

I've been to 4 different Japanese doctors that all say it's stress related, but the burning began before my breakup (although it did intensify greatly afterward) and even though I feel I've recovered from the emotional blow my hair is still rapidly shedding.

Other things to note: I have psoriasis, eczema, arthritis (recent development - within 2 years) caused by the psoriasis, and a few doctors have noted that I may have a gluten intolerance. Also, when I came to Japan I was 220 pounds. After only 3 months in Japan I lost about 40 pounds putting me at 180 in August. I am currently 160lbs. That's a total of 60 pounds in 10 months. That's not too extraordinary, but it's worth mentioning that I drink sodas, eat fast food, and generally pig out on 6 meals a day every day.

Thoughts? Thanks a bunch guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1- May_2011.jpg

Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	13602   Click image for larger version

Name:	2- late_july.jpg

Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	13603   Click image for larger version

Name:	3- Early_aug.jpg

Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	13604   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - lateaug.jpg

Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	13605   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 - Sept1.jpg

Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	13606   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 - Nov_early.jpg

Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	13607   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 - Nov1.jpg

Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	13608   Click image for larger version

Name:	8 - Nov2.jpg

Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	13609   Click image for larger version

Name:	9 - Dec1.jpg

Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	13610   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 - Dec2.jpg

Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	13611  

Quote Originally Posted by germ View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to posting but I've been observing for the past month or so. I apologize in advance for the poor pictures and long message I know is going to follow:

So, a brief introduction to my problem: I'm 24 (turned so this month), and I've been experience a pain that can only be described as a burning/pulling sensation that is ever-present on my scalp. This pain is frequently followed by a nice little trail of hair.

I should set the stage real quick for my situation: In May of 2011 I moved to Japan just after getting a house in the states and spending the past year moving into it. I had lived with my girlfriend at the time for the totality of that year, as well as the prior two years. In a moment of random spontaneity we both decided to up and move to Japan. However, she had a a good job at the time and couldn't just immediately leave, so I decided to gone on ahead of her. Here I lived for 4 months by myself waiting (and working). Long story short, she came for two days then left (the whole "I changed-you changed" thing), leaving me here. Boo hoo, not the main point.

Anyways, since the first week I arrived in Japan this burning sensation has been present. However, since the day my ex took off I've been actually seeing a rapid decrease in hair volume. (To help get the timeline straight, she left in early August).

To just fully grasp the hit my goofy scalp was taking from this obnoxious and increasing problem of "firehead" (literally, it feels like someone set my head aflame), I decided to go with the buzz having never really had my hair short in my life before.

I would take better pictures but I don't have a camera other than my iphone. Either way, the following pictures show, albeit poorly, my hair from May to December. The diffuse thinning all over the top of my scalp became noticeable to me before I buzzed in November.

Now the question I pose to all you, since everyone is so well researched here, is this: does MPB (which I'm certain I have) usually obliterate the entirety of your scalp within a matter of two months? And does it usually do it with such an intense pain that it's difficult to sleep at night?

I've been to 4 different Japanese doctors that all say it's stress related, but the burning began before my breakup (although it did intensify greatly afterward) and even though I feel I've recovered from the emotional blow my hair is still rapidly shedding.

Other things to note: I have psoriasis, eczema, arthritis (recent development - within 2 years) caused by the psoriasis, and a few doctors have noted that I may have a gluten intolerance. Also, when I came to Japan I was 220 pounds. After only 3 months in Japan I lost about 40 pounds putting me at 180 in August. I am currently 160lbs. That's a total of 60 pounds in 10 months. That's not too extraordinary, but it's worth mentioning that I drink sodas, eat fast food, and generally pig out on 6 meals a day every day.

Thoughts? Thanks a bunch guys.
    it could be MPB and the symptoms of burning scalp which are often mild could have been made strong because of your existing medical condition.

You know MPB is just DHT attacking the hair follicles, then you might have your inmune system killing your hair follicless which is alopecia areata but thats just an example.

I really think it's overrall inflamation which is causing your hairloss and not MPB, im certainly no physicians but I know it happens sometimes and I've read about it.

Hi Maradona! Thanks for the speedy reply!

In the bit of research I've done, I'm inclined to agree that it's inflammation due to DHT aggravation and the pain is a result of my skin sensitivity. I'm also aware that DHT buildup and hair loss can occur at varying rates in men.

I'm major concern, however, is the speed of my change. In everything I've read I've seen 2-4 year spans before really visible loss, but mine happened over the course of 2 months.

Another noteworthy point: During November, December, and January I actually saw an obscene amount of hair in the shower, floor, pillow, and generally everywhere. I was shedding so fast that even though I vacuumed daily it still look like a dog lived in my apartment. Now (as of February) this shedding seems to have subsided, although I haven't seen any kind of improvement in hair regrowth.

I'm in Japan and fin and rogaine arn't readily available. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by germ View Post
    I'm in Japan and fin and rogaine arn't readily available. Any suggestions?
    how are they not? Most online pharmacies will deliver to any place in the world...

let's put it this way, general fin or fin of any type is a terrifying drug and to have rogaine shipped in costs about $50+ a month.

Being right out of college and living abroad money is a bit tight.

" but it's worth mentioning that I drink sodas, eat fast food, and generally pig out on 6 meals a day every day."
    I think you kind of answer your own questions at the end. Sorry to be the dick to point out the obvious- but what about changing your diet? Also, go see a dermatologist or better still, a naturopath, rather than asking random idiots like myself to give you advice.