+ Reply to Thread
    Inactive

Default Some Races Balder Than Others

I find it very interesting that baldness varies so much in different races. Turns out that white people, myself included are worst affected.. If You are born Native American or Eskimo, by default chances are way much lower that You'll end up bald.. Asians and African Americans are also doing much better in that sense than white men.. Is it all in genes or maybe nutrition & lifestyle plays a role too ?

I havn't read any studies, but I keep seeing it mentioned that MPB in the Japanese culture was very rare until after WWII when a more western diet took over. They ate a lot less red meat and dairy though IIRC. Much more seafood. Kale, oily fish etc.

I think ultimately diet (and environment to a degree) plays a key role in many men as to *when* it kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    I think ultimately diet (and environment to a degree) plays a key role in many men as to *when* it kicks in.
    ^ probably. There are so many asians and indians at my University, you'd think they had good hair genes but a lot of them do show signs of balding already nonetheless...
    The only constant here is an American lifestyle.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    I havn't read any studies, but I keep seeing it mentioned that MPB in the Japanese culture was very rare until after WWII when a more western diet took over. They ate a lot less red meat and dairy though IIRC. Much more seafood. Kale, oily fish etc.

Yeah, I saw that too. Well, diets of eastern cultures I believe were and are still much more healthier than diets of white people - consisting of highly processed foods, plenty of sugars and saturated fats - all these have an impact not just on overall health, but hormonal balance as well.. I'm not sure how this works genes wise - if hormonal balance impacts genes and bad genes then jump from one generation to another..

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    ^ probably. There are so many asians and indians at my University, you'd think they had good hair genes but a lot of them do show signs of balding already nonetheless...
    The only constant here is an American lifestyle.
    Hairloss seems to be quite common in India. I don't know just how common compared to white people.

I get the impression that MPB is also common in China. It would be interesting to know how the Chinese compare to, say, the Japanese.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Hairloss seems to be quite common in India. I don't know just how common compared to white people.

I get the impression that MPB is also common in China. It would be interesting to know how the Chinese compare to, say, the Japanese.
    I'm sure the baldness rates are still much lower in India and China, comparing to white people in the West and elsewhere.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/articl...erview#showall
    "Race
    The incidence and the severity of androgenetic alopecia tend to be highest in white men, second highest in Asians and African Americans, and lowest in Native Americans and Eskimos.
    A community-based study of androgenetic alopecia in 6 cities in China indicated that the prevalence of androgenetic alopecia in both Chinese males and females was lower than that seen in whites but similar to the incidence among Koreans.[3]"