+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zinc! Zing!

Hybrid View

Default Zinc! Zing!

So I went to visit my parents today and talked about my hair loss and future options. Luckily they were very supportive On a side note, my Dad told me he'd been taking zinc for his psoriasis and had experienced the welcome side-effect of thickened hair on his scalp. He pointed it out and I did notice it was thicker than I'd seen it for awhile.

Anyone else supplementing with zinc? I'm thinking of adding it along with saw palmetto since I'm discontinuing finasteride for the moment. If anyone has an experience with these or other supplements, please comment

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    So I went to visit my parents today and talked about my hair loss and future options. Luckily they were very supportive On a side note, my Dad told me he'd been taking zinc for his psoriasis and had experienced the welcome side-effect of thickened hair on his scalp. He pointed it out and I did notice it was thicker than I'd seen it for awhile.

Anyone else supplementing with zinc? I'm thinking of adding it along with saw palmetto since I'm discontinuing finasteride for the moment. If anyone has an experience with these or other supplements, please comment
    just stick to propecia that it is proven to work.Just get a daily multi vitamin tablets and you will be fine.

Tried propecia and got undeniable side effects after 3 months. Quitting for awhile and may resume it at a lower dose.

I don't know of any evidence for vitamin/mineral supplements impeding the progress of genetic hair loss, but they might have a noticeable impact on the quality of existing hair.
    I know a woman who has suffered from hair loss ever since giving birth to her first child, and she has taken zinc and biotin for years. She uses medicinal treatments too (minoxidil and keto shampoo that I know of) but seems to think the supplements are worthwhile to boost the appearance of her hair.

If nothing else, it seems like it would be a relatively cheap experiment to try for 6-12 months. Though it might be hard to assess the results if you're also just starting medicinal treatments like keto and minox.

Inactive

I'm taking good amounts of zinc.. don't know total daily intake as I use multiple products containg zinc, but I can check, sum up, and get back to You.

As for saw palmetto, I use 300mg daily. You might want to consider taking beta sitosterol with or instead saw.. I've found claims about beta beeing from 1000 to 3000 more potent than saw palmetto.

The famous saw palmetto+beta sitosterol study reports 60% of success rate.

"Background: Androgenetic alopecia (AGA) is characterized by the structural miniaturization of androgen-sensitive hair follicles in susceptible individuals and is anatomically defined within a given pattern of the scalp. Biochemically, one contributing factor of this disorder is the conversion of testosterone (T) to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) via the enzyme 5-α reductase (5AR). This metabolism is also key to the onset and progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Furthermore, AGA has also been shown to be responsive to drugs and agents used to treat BPH. Of note, certain botanical compounds have previously demonstrated efficacy against BPH. Here, we report the first example of a placebo-controlled, double-blind study undertaken in order to examine the benefit of these botanical substances in the treatment of AGA.

Objectives: The goal of this study was to test botanically derived 5AR inhibitors, specifically the liposterolic extract of Serenoa repens (LSESr) and β-sitosterol, in the treatment of AGA.

Subjects: Included in this study were males between the ages of 23 and 64 years of age, in good health, with mild to moderate AGA.

Results: The results of this pilot study showed a highly positive response to treatment. The blinded investigative staff assessment report showed that 60% of (6/10) study subjects dosed with the active study formulation were rated as improved at the final visit.

Conclusions: This study establishes the effectiveness of naturally occurring 5AR inhibitors against AGA for the first time, and justifies the expansion to larger trials."

zinc won't do jack... if anything, you could actually have problems with it as it is easy to overdose on

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    zinc won't do jack... if anything, you could actually have problems with it as it is easy to overdose on it
    I disagree that it won't do "jack". My Dad is nearing 60 and the only change he's made recently has been supplementing zinc, for his psoriasis. He's clearly noticed a side-effect that he wasn't expecting, but is welcome nonetheless. I'm not saying it's equivalent to finasteride, but it clearly has done something.

StressedToTheBald, I read about a guy who had his blood tested prior to and after saw palmetto supplementation, and while his DHT fell, it also reduced levels of testosterone. It makes me wonder if that would cause the same drop in libido that finasteride caused. Thoughts?

StressedToTheBald, I read about a guy who had his blood tested prior to and after saw palmetto supplementation, and while his DHT fell, it also reduced levels of testosterone. It makes me wonder if that would cause the same drop in libido that finasteride caused. Thoughts?
    of course it can.... there is absolutely no difference between propecia and all those other natural treatments that reduce DHT. If your body can't tolerate lower DHT levels, then you will get side effects no matter what you use...

StressedToBald is a bald troll... ignore & report him

The natural line of inquiry then is, has anyone reported side effects taking saw palmetto?