+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Zinc! Zing!

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Thanks Stressed.

I feel totally overwhelmed with information right now... it's like being thrown into a pitch black room and having to find keys to a locked door. Gonna take a break and come back to this later
    You're very welcome chrisis.

I know how You feel.. Its a mountain of information all right. Just try to focus and digg out what might be crucial and most beneficial for You. On and off, I get tired of both information or mixing and drinking herbs and teas, sticking to it daily, I often fall out from the routine.. It is all both stressing and overwhelming...... and then I see someone who eats junk, drinks worse, does absolutely nothing - and yet has the best full set of hair in the world.. now thats a proper motivation killer. But what can we do, if we keep pushing and digging for answers, we might find a way, never give up - thats whats important and what I keep telling to myself. Sad reality is also that hair regrowth and testing of regimens takes time.. I used to take some stuff for a few weeks and when no results show up, I used to quit.. Never quitting is essential.. visible improvement takes 6-12 months minimum, regardless of the treatment..

Forgot to ask.. what is the daily intake of zinc Your father uses ? You mentioned that it helped him with skin condition. I use plenty of zinc, but I think I've read zinc might even be more beneficial if used topical.. I don't know if there is such a think as liquid zinc, as a separate supplement liquid.. but I do have zinc in one of my shampoos.

So I went to visit my parents today and talked about my hair loss and future options. Luckily they were very supportive On a side note, my Dad told me he'd been taking zinc for his psoriasis and had experienced the welcome side-effect of thickened hair on his scalp. He pointed it out and I did notice it was thicker than I'd seen it for awhile.

Anyone else supplementing with zinc? I'm thinking of adding it along with saw palmetto since I'm discontinuing finasteride for the moment. If anyone has an experience with these or other supplements, please comment
    Saw Palmetto isn't exactly safe. There are accounts of people that claim low libido and gyno from taking it. You try a simple google search. It blocks both Type1 and Type2 alpha reductase enzyme. A doctor I spoke to told me its particularly dangerous since the FDA has no regulation over it.
    Perhaps its "safer" than finasteride, I really don't know, but its definitely not safe in the absolute sense. Actually, nothing is safe in the absolute sense which is what most people have been trying to say on this forum.

I personally took saw palmetto (along with some other natural stuff) for around 9 months. It didn't stop my hairloss. Although I didn't have any change in libido/performance, at the very high dose of 640mg of the extract I started getting the occasional headache and slight nauseau. But if you are sure you want to quit Finasteride, than Saw Palmetto is worth a try, I know I gave it a shot just as a last attempt to avoid Finasteride, after reading stories of irreversible side effect.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by khan View Post
    Saw Palmetto isn't exactly safe. There are accounts of people that claim low libido and gyno from taking it. You try a simple google search. It blocks both Type1 and Type2 alpha reductase enzyme. A doctor I spoke to told me its particularly dangerous since the FDA has no regulation over it.
    Perhaps its "safer" than finasteride, I really don't know, but its definitely not safe in the absolute sense. Actually, nothing is safe in the absolute sense which is what most people have been trying to say on this forum.

I personally took saw palmetto (along with some other natural stuff) for around 9 months. It didn't stop my hairloss. Although I didn't have any change in libido/performance, at the very high dose of 640mg of the extract I started getting the occasional headache and slight nauseau. But if you are sure you want to quit Finasteride, than Saw Palmetto is worth a try, I know I gave it a shot just as a last attempt to avoid Finasteride, after reading stories of irreversible side effect.
    I personally have never had problems with saw palmetto and studies claim that compared to finasteride it is safe - safe in the sense that it will not cause significant nor permanent side effects. There are people out there who take both propecia and saw palmetto combined.. it might be them who end up blaming saw palmetto for side effects which are actually caused by propecia.

FDA doesn't regulate any natural compounds.. which I agree doesn't make all natural compounds in any doses absolutely safe. But the fact is - FDA regulates propecia and still latest findings link it to permanent ED, cancer and depression. Instead of accepting the blame.. Merck directs damaged people to report their cases to FDA.. so much of taking responsibilty, and initial safety guaranteed by the FDA.

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    But the fact is - FDA regulates propecia and still latest findings link it with permanent ED, cancer and depression. Instead of accepting the blame.. Merck directs damaged people to report their cases to FDA.. so much of taking responsibilty, and initial safety guaranteed by the FDA.
    you just don't give up...

StressedToTheBald,

Maybe you can argue FDA regulation is not perfect, but surely some form of regulation is much more safer than no regulation at all, which is the case for Saw Palmetto.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    you just don't give up...
    he is a massive fearmongering hijacking troll!

Our only hope is the report abuse button.

Quote Originally Posted by jpm View Post
    he is a massive fearmongering hijacking troll!

Our only hope is the report abuse button.
    How can a Finasteride-fearmongerer push Saw Palmetto?
    It also blocks conversion of DHT and both Finasteride and Saw Palmetto are used to treat the same issue (i.e prostate enlargement), if SPH is effective, than thats because it is very similar to Fin.

How can a Finasteride-fearmongerer push Saw Palmetto?
    It also blocks conversion of DHT and both Finasteride and Saw Palmetto are used to treat the same issue (i.e prostate enlargement), if SPH is effective, than thats because it is very similar to Fin.
    The vast majority of his posts just spout nonsense about the side effects of fin, which aren't true!

Inactive

StressedToTheBald,

Maybe you can argue FDA regulation is not perfect, but surely some form of regulation is much more safer than no regulation at all, which is the case for Saw Palmetto.
    Of course, that should be the case and it theory it is, but in the case of finasteride the FDA regulation failed big time.. they've only recently upgraded risk labels and now with the latest 2 studies coming out.. they'll either have to upgrade risk labels again and to the highest level, either that or to ban the drug completely. Both ways its a big failure of regulation.. the seriousness of risks should have been evaluated properly at the very starts, and not in the middle or the end of this drug's existance on the market.. because the damage is already done.

The natural line of inquiry then is, has anyone reported side effects taking saw palmetto?
    I got awfully low libido, ball-ache, nipple pains, bit of shock-loss from SP. Awful awful stuff, I'd never advise anyone to take that crap. (Added to which, there's no proof that is helps treat MPB.)

My dad tried saw palmetto for his prostate problems, and got nasty side effects too.