+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 19 and starting to lose hair

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum however, I have been lurking it for the past month. I am 19 and starting to lose my hair on only one side of my temple (this has been going on for 5 months, at least when I started to notice). At first my hair was only thinning in the far corner of my temple but it has now begun to slowly spread toward the middle of my hairline. About one week ago I also notice that my crown is starting to thin as well but is not yet as noticeable.

My father started losing his hair around 19-20 but his hair began to fall out very fast and in very large portions, whereas mine has been a slow progression and not as dramatic. I went to a dermatologist two days ago and all she did was look through my hair where it was thinning and then she did a “pull test” on both sides of my temples. She declared negative on both tests (no hair came out). She told me I most likely have MPB and that she wants me to do a blood test just to check (my father and his mother had bad thyroids and didn’t realize later in life). She said I should start using 5% Rogaine and take 2.5mg of Biotin and that I should come back in 3 months to check my progress (she didn’t even mention procepia).

What I am wondering is what the best treatment would be for someone who is just barely starting to lose their hair? I heard that Rogaine has a better chance of working if you use it early on in your hair loss but I have also heard that if you have MPB procepia is better than Rogaine because it blocks the DHT which is what is really causing your hair to fall out. Advice would be much appreciated! I would look terrible bald and this is really starting to depress me. I know I’m still in the early stages of hair loss but I am trying to PREVENT it from getting worse considering how my father turned out. I still have a pretty thick head of hair but at this rate it seems like it’s only going downhill. The pictures I attached are of the temple that is receding.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1037.jpg

Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	13581   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1038.jpg

Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	13582   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1041.jpg

Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	13583  

first of all: check your thyroids if there is a history of thyroid problems in your family.

If it's just MPB: start usin propecia + rogaine + nizoral.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    first of all: check your thyroids if there is a history of thyroid problems in your family.

If it's just MPB: start usin propecia + rogaine + nizoral.

I am actually about to head down to a lab in a couple hours to take my blood test. My family doctor could do it for free but my next appointment is in April and I can't wait that long, so I'm having this lab that the dermatologist recommended go ahead and do it. This way I will get my results faster.

Make sure you're aware of the side effects before starting propecia.

Inactive

rupe's right, and please do read the latest reports, this drug is now officially linked to permanent ED, cancer and depression; manufacturer has pulled down their own website and damaged people are going with first class lawsuits..

http://www.examiner.com/courts-in-ba...#ixzz1mLgDjzw3

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    rupe's right, and please do read the latest reports, this drug is now officially linked to permanent ED, cancer and depression; manufacturer has pulled down their own website and damaged people are going with first class lawsuits..

http://www.examiner.com/courts-in-ba...#ixzz1mLgDjzw3
    Yes, please do read the latest SCIENTIFIC reports... Examiner.com is not a reliable source for anything

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    Life.Love.Regret,

You need to know that this "study" that StressedToTheBald keeps cluster bombing this forum with was tainted. Therefore this was NOT a legitimate study. Much of the information StressedToTheBald cluster bombs this forum with is not legitimate information.

If you want to read a legitimate study, here you go:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21980923

There are possible negative side effects from using Propecia or generic Finasteride. This is rare but you do need to know about it. The truth is that most men do not experience them at all. They usually go away for those few men who do experience them, even if they continue taking the medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Life.Love.Regret,

You need to know that this "study" that StressedToTheBald keeps cluster bombing this forum with was tainted. Therefore this was NOT a legitimate study. Much of the information StressedToTheBald cluster bombs this forum with is not legitimate information.

If you want to read a legitimate study, here you go:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21980923

There are possible negative side effects from using Propecia or generic Finasteride. This is rare but you do need to know about it. The truth is that most men do not experience them at all. They usually go away for those few men who do experience them, even if they continue taking the medicine.
    I have read his exact same posts in other threads. I'm going to try and do whatever I can to keep my hair, if a dermatologist recommends it i'll do it.

I've been using Rogaine for about one week and I'm already seeing that I'm shedding a lot more hair. Should I be worried about this? I know shedding means that the treatment works and that it's supposed to be a good sign, but I didn't know the results would be this quick. My hair has always grown pretty fast, so I'm wondering if this is related to that. What do you think? Am I worrying too much? Also, is hair supposed to be shedding all over or just the areas that I'm applying the foam (because it seems like I'm shedding all over my head)?

Quote Originally Posted by Life.Love.Regret View Post
    Am I worrying too much?
    Yes. It's easy to do. The shedding can be very alarming but it needs to happen. Shedding stops eventually and with continued use your hair will grow back a little thocker than it was before.