+ Reply to Thread

Default Itchy Scalp Problem?

For the last couple of months I've been having some really bad itches on my scalp, I'm not sure what the cause is or why it's happening; maybe cause of hair loss?

Anyways after it started I tried Nizoral and some coconut shampoo which sort of helped as I only got itches again occasionally but now it seems to be back and worse, I asked my doctor to book me an appointment with a Dermatologist but was denied it as it wasn't really a serious issue...

Anyways if can help me with this or can suggest a proven way of getting rid of this problem it would be great.

I too have an extremely itchy scalp. For a while I also had severe dandruff, and I was diagnosed by a dermatologist as having seborrheic dermatitis. The dermatologist prescribed 2.0 percent Nizoral and another prescription shampoo called Clobex. These resolved the dandruff, but I still have an extremely itchy and inflamed scalp.

At this point I have been to three different dermatologists, trying to get some resolution for my scalp itching, and they all prescribed some variation of the above treatments, which don't seem to work for me. I have heard that scalp itch is associated with MPB, and my scalp itch is definitely worse in my thinning areas. I'm sure whatever is causing my scalp itch can't be good for my hair.

I don't really any advice for you, but if you find anything that works for your itching, please post here!

Good luck to you!

I don't have much in the way of advice and all I can say is that I am experiencing this also. I never had this problem until I tried finasteride which I quit after 6 months because of side effects. Once I quit finasteride my scalp became very itchy and I got very bad dandruff and scaling. I also use 1% Nizoral twice a week and it does not seem to be clearing up the problem.

The itching and scaling is worse in areas where my hair is thinner so I am sure it is related to mpb. The only thing I have found which has even helped a little has been drinking more water, eating healthier, and drinking less alcohol, and this has only marginally helped. I am considering taking a very small dosage of finasteride, hoping to not have sides and maybe make this itching problem go away.

Good luck to you all also

I sometimes get mild scalp itch and it seems to be from dryness.

Have any of you tried conditioner after shampooing?

I had the same problem, tried everything and nothing worked, drove me crazy. Then while googling one day I found that caffiene could cause this scalp itch. I quit caffiene, in my case coffee and the itch disappeared. Wasn't easy to give up the coffee, but it's worth it not to itch.

Good luck

I use conditioner with my shampoo on days I don't use Nizoral however my dandruff and scaling seem to be making my scalp greasy. I have heard that excessive dryness or greasyness can cause dandruff and itching.

What kind of conditioner do you use, @25 going on 65, and does it seem to help with itchy scalp?

Well I typically don't use conditioner, unless my scalp/hair seems especially dry. I don't know much about conditioners or if any brands are better than others.

For what it's worth, my scalp seems to itch if I've been over-washing my hair. I don't know if it's due to chemical irritation, stripping the moisture from the scalp, or both. But conditioner does seem to alleviate the itch somewhat when it comes up.
    For awhile I was using Vichy Dercos shampoo on days when I wasn't using Nizoral, but I recently dropped it and started using simple glycerin soap instead. This has seemed to reduce the frequency of scalp itch for me, but it sounds like the cause of your itch may be different than mine.