+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

chrisis,
    Has there been any change in your life style recently. In my case, stress really has a negative effect on libido and other related functioning.

You could try lowering the dose for a few weeks and then seeing how thing go, instead of completely quitting. At the end of the days it your hair and your life, but if I were you, I wouldn't listen to anyone that hasn't tried the drug himself.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Is it possible that my side effects are due to minoxidil or Nizoral, since I've only started taking them recently??
    nope. The side effects you're describing could not have come from those two products.

I read a topic about a guy who apparently lost libido after trying Nizoral.
    that could not happen... it's all in his head.

The numbers are up for debate, but it's something we should all be both aware of and less dismissive of.
    Please don't take it as being dismissive, it is not itended to be that way. The current rash of fear mongering can certainly make it seem that way - and certainly make people act dismissive. This is yet another danger of fear mongering - it masks the true nature of the risk - from both sides. It is important for people to know the possibility is there - but it is just as important for people to know that it is not common and it usually goes away for those few who do experience it.

I have said before that I know many men who take the 5mg dose of Finasteride for their prostate. I have directly asked each of them about this since joining this forum. None of them are experiencing these side effects. Most of their wives are fiends of mine - and they are not complaining. Yes, women talk about how their men perform when their men are not around.

Tracy C: Maybe there is some connection between the biochemistry that triggers hair loss and sexual side effects, that does not trigger in people who are only taking the medication for their prostate. It's all speculation, but possible...

Yeah 2020, I honestly can't see minoxidil or Nizoral being responsible for this. If anything, I'd suspect finasteride. I'm gonna cut down my dosage and see if anything improves.

Minoxidil has been associated with various sides, but to my knowledge none of them are pertain to sexual function.

An anti-androgen shampoo such as Nizoral would not give you any sides. This I'm rather sure of; I can think of no reported cases. I've seen that thread though, and I remain suspicious regarding the validity of OP's claims.

If you are indeed experiencing sexual related sides, finasteride is likely the culprit.

In fact I may quit for a week or two, and see if my libido returns. If it does, this would suggest I'm suffering side effects. At that point I either reject finasteride forever, or I take it at a lower dose. I'm not sure

In fact I may quit for a week or two, and see if my libido returns. If it does, this would suggest I'm suffering side effects. At that point I either reject finasteride forever, or I take it at a lower dose. I'm not sure
    how long you've been taking fin?

how long you've been taking fin?
    3 months almost exactly.

If you are indeed experiencing sexual related sides, finasteride is likely the culprit.
    I agree clandestine. I'm rather gutted that finasteride might not be suitable for me

Just a note, I would perhaps be cautious about going off, on finasteride in a repeated manner. This due to the fact that (to my knowledge) finasteride must be taken continually and consistently in order for it to be completely effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) stimulates hair follicles that can still grow hair to start growing hair again - but it does nothing to block the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss. How important is this? This can be pretty important depending on how long a persons bald patches have been void of hair. Once hair follicles stop producing hair they go into a dormant state. They can only stay dormant for so long before they loose their ability to be restarted and grow hair again. How long dormant hair follicles can remain dormant and still be able to be restarted is unknown. However my best educated guess after reading information for many doctors is that it is probably about five years. So with that thought in mind, if your hair loss is less than five years along, using Rogaine can be pretty important.

Thanks for this. How long does it usually take for rogaine/minoxidil to work? weeks? months? years?