+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Almost two years of 100% maintenance and 0% side effects for me.

Same for other people I know personally who are taking it.

I don't know anyone online or offline that has taken it and gotten permanent side effects. I do know 1 person that got sides and stopped and everything was fine.

Dr. Irwig's study uses a sample, which is based on users of a forum based solely for the purpose of helping people suffering from Finasteride.
    This hardly constitutes as a random sample, even from the bare minimum standards.

His study is based on telephonic conservesation, there was no physical exam done, and absolutely no way to verify medical history or other medication that might have been used while on finasteride. There was no control group either.

The study is more of a survey, based on people that were on a certain website for the specific purpose of seeking help.
    Its definitely a step in the right direction, finasteride sufferers definitely deserve more attention from the medical community, but the survey should be a road to further research. It should not be used to spam every thread, It can hardly be considered conclusive but definitely a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    They indeed say so. Both Dr. Irwig and Dr. Traish point out to permanent ED and also link propecia to previously less known side effects such as depression and cancer.

And very good point as well - regarding whom to trust. These doctors actually come with undeniable reputation, unlike propecia promoters who still try to portray this drug as beeing 'generally safe'. The reputation of these studies is so significant that it has triggered first class lawsuits as well ! Dr. Irwig's percentages of side effects are also outstandingly higher than ones presented by the manufacturer. Take care and beware !
    even cotsarelis prescribes it for people who have aga and considers it safe.Not to mention other names like rassman or bernstein.

The length of time that side effects (including hair loss prevention) are seen is likely going to come down to something related to how 5AR is being binded to by Finasteride and how long term exposure to that is effecting all hormonal conversions that 5ar does and are important to the body. Also probably the levels of 5ar production in a person.

I wouldn't be surprised if it causes a mutation of sorts where the receptors are "permanently" fused or something - causing all 5ar conversions to become disrupted.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by khan View Post
    Dr. Irwig's study uses a sample, which is based on users of a forum based solely for the purpose of helping people suffering from Finasteride.
    This hardly constitutes as a random sample, even from the bare minimum standards.
    Believe that, or believe this:

“As my study shows, there are very real sexual health issues that are affecting a population of previously healthy men ranging in age from 21 to 46 years old who took Propecia,” says George Washington University Professor Michael S. Irwig, M.D.

Believe that, or believe this:

“As my study shows, there are very real sexual health issues that are affecting a population of previously healthy men ranging in age from 21 to 46 years old who took Propecia,” says George Washington University Professor Michael S. Irwig, M.D.
    numbers numbers numbers... where is that study?

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by born View Post
    even cotsarelis prescribes it for people who have aga and considers it safe.Not to mention other names like rassman or bernstein.
    “Over the years, I have prescribed Propecia to my patients and still do – I absolutely had no idea of its serious side effects and I do try to keep up with all the latest medical news,” says general practitioner Kenneth Kochmann, M.D. “Had I known, I would have never prescribed it in the first place,” says Dr. Kochmann whose practice is located in Lutherville, Md.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    The length of time that side effects (including hair loss prevention) are seen is likely going to come down to something related to how 5AR is being binded to by Finasteride and how long term exposure to that is effecting all hormonal conversions that 5ar does and are important to the body. Also probably the levels of 5ar production in a person.

I wouldn't be surprised if it causes a mutation of sorts where the receptors are "permanently" fused or something - causing all 5ar conversions to become disrupted.
    What makes propecia dangerous I believe is now what its known that this drug does, but what is unknown. Unlike natural DHT inhibitors, this drug is hardcore chemistry, I believe the mechanisms of action are different and the overall impact is either too high or too wide in the sense that it affects other areas as well, areas it shouldn't mess with. Dr. Irwig says that what makes propecia dangerous is the fact that its responsible for changes in the brain as well !

"What is known is that unlike the vast majority of drugs, whose side effects cease when you stop taking them, Dr. Irwig explains that “finasteride is different because it can actually change the brain’s chemistry. The enzyme 5 alpha reductase is present in many areas of the brain. It is rare for a drug to have the capability to persistently change the brain's chemistry.”"

What makes propecia dangerous I believe is now what its known that this drug does, but what is unknown. Unlike natural DHT inhibitors, this drug is hardcore chemistry, I believe the mechanisms of action are different and the overall impact is either too high or too wide in the sense that it affects other areas as well, areas it shouldn't mess with. Dr. Irwig says that what makes propecia dangerous is the fact that its responsible for changes in the brain as well !

"What is known is that unlike the vast majority of drugs, whose side effects cease when you stop taking them, Dr. Irwig explains that “finasteride is different because it can actually change the brain’s chemistry. The enzyme 5 alpha reductase is present in many areas of the brain. It is rare for a drug to have the capability to persistently change the brain's chemistry.”"
    then how do you explain the results of SO MANY LONG TERM STUDIES on finasteride??

This is not a NEW DRUG!!! It's been around forever and we already knows its risks.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    then how do you explain the results of SO MANY LONG TERM STUDIES on finasteride??

This is not a NEW DRUG!!! It's been around forever and we already knows its risks.
    Please link for us all of these long term studies. You must be armed with the URLs since you keep talking about there having been multiple.

AFAIK theres only been one, but thats simply because I havn't tried terribly hard to find them and when I google for it, all I find is the 2001 release of Mercks 5 year study that started with just over 1500 people and ended with just under 300.