Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I need your advice?

Meds: Propecia (3.5 yrs)
    Hair loss began: Age 22.

Considering the following Docters for FUE:

Hasson and Wong in Vancouver,
    Dr. Feller in NYC
    Dr Lindsey in VA (Feller Medical)
    Please feel free to make a recommendation!!

My questions:

1. My goal with HT's (FUE) is to keep a step ahead of the impeding loses and hopefully in about 5 years have a thick full head of hair again. Is this possible?

2. Do you recommend placing grafts on the scalp area where good hair is still growing - such as the center front? Some people on the boards have said it will cause good hair to fall out.

2. How many grafts would I need to restore my hairline in the frontal region? How many to restore the crown? I was thinking around 2000 to 3000 for the frontal region?

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg

Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	13547   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg

Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	13548  

Inactive

I have very similar hair loss.
    How do You range on Norwood scale - 4 or 5 ?

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    I have very similar hair loss.
    How do You range on Norwood scale - 4 or 5 ?
    Between a 3 and a 3v... I think.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by mandg View Post
    Between a 3 and a 3v... I think.
    Many thanks for the answer. Then I'm surely not 5. I'm either late 3 or early 4. I have receding hairlines, same as You, and balding in the crown, same as You. Not sure density wise, its hard to tell, I might somewhat worse but not too much.

I think You are right regarding the number of grafts.. it could take around 2000 grafts for the front, and probably similar for the back.. to achieve good density.

I too would only go for FUE, thats if I could afford it..
    As for the details.. surgeon would know best, maybe ask Dr. Cole - he is much focused and mainly does FUE.

Its hard to predict I guess, even with transplant, what would happen to the rest of the DHT non-resistant hair.. Your question in that sense in a excellent one - would it make sense to implant hair even in these places, it would be like acting in advance, just in case. Trouble however is - even if this is done - You'd then need way many more grafts and the cost of the procedure would sky rocket as well.

Inactive

Forgot to ask.. You used propecia for 3,5 years with no results ?
    I myself am against propecia. Don't know which is worse - that it carries significant side effects or that it doesn't even work with so many people.

Thanks for the tip!... I will check out Dr Cole. I've actually read some posts about him, he seems reputable.

Its hard to predict I guess, even with transplant, what would happen to the rest of the DHT non-resistant hair.. Your question in that sense in a excellent one - would it make sense to implant hair even in these places, it would be like acting in advance, just in case. Trouble however is - even if this is done - You'd then need way many more grafts and the cost of the procedure would sky rocket as well.
    Propecia or no propecia - I'm headed for a 5V. Without an HT, I will be there by 45. I like the idea of being preemptive and placing grafts where hair exists so long as there is enough donar hair to cover everything. I'm not rich but I really value my self confidence.

I'd like to get all the work done at once rather than breaking it up over a ten or fifteen year period. When all is done, I'm thinking it will take 4 procedures to cover the frontal and crown region. The big question is... Do I wait for the area to go completely bald?

Forgot to ask.. You used propecia for 3,5 years with no results ?
    I myself am against propecia. Don't know which is worse - that it carries significant side effects or that it doesn't even work with so many people.
    Its hard to say... I started taking it over three years ago and haven't stopped.

Inactive

Thanks for the tip!... I will check out Dr Cole. I've actually read some posts about him, he seems reputable.

Propecia or no propecia - I'm headed for a 5V. Without an HT, I will be there by 45. I like the idea of being preemptive and placing grafts where hair exists so long as there is enough donar hair to cover everything. I'm not rich but I really value my self confidence.

I'd like to get all the work done at once rather than breaking it up over a ten or fifteen year period. When all is done, I'm thinking it will take 4 procedures to cover the frontal and crown region. The big question is... Do I wait for the area to go completely bald?
    It may or may not be, with some people I guess it progresses down the road, for others its slower or remains pretty much the same. I'm not absolutely sure even about my own case.. I think my baldness hasn't gotten any worse.. I believe I'm not any worse today than I was a few years ago.. but then again, its hard to be sure, and its hard to predict what will happen in the next few years.

I understand, selfconfidence is a big thing. Baldness has killed my selfconfidence to a very good degree.

Donor hairs are limited as far as I know, although I still fail to understand why as we all have plenty of hair sideways.. anway, If You need at least 2000 for the front and 2000 for the crown, its a question how much there would be left to increase density elsewhere.

It would be more straightforward if Your areas was completely bald, then it would be easier to know where You stand and results couldn't be compromised later in the future. The trouble is, if You can wait or even if thats gonna happen at all. I'm not sure even the surgeon would be able to predict if You'll eventually end up completely bald.

Some seem to claim that for extensive hair loss, only FUT can be a solution. Regardless of the answer, due to scarring etc. I personally would never do FUT.

Inactive

Its hard to say... I started taking it over three years ago and haven't stopped.
    Well, judging by the pictures, unless You started as Norwood 5 or 4 those 3 years ago, that would be a proof that it worked to a degree. This way, I don't see You regained full density like in those advertising before/after pictures, even though You've been on the drug for much longer ! Those pictures showcase 1+ or 2+ years of treatment and supposedly very much increased density after that time.

I need your advice?

Meds: Propecia (3.5 yrs)
    Hair loss began: Age 22.
    Hi mandg,

You need to be aware that Propecia is more for maintaining what hair you still have than for growing hair back, though for some people it can allow hair that can grow back to grow back. To conclude that Propecia is not working for you based on lack of regrowth is not accurate. If you haven't gotten any worse, the medication is working for you. If you are not experiencing negative side effects from Propecia, you should continue using it. Though you may want to consider going to a generic to save money.

Propecia blocks the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss - but it does nothing to stimulate hair follicles that can grow hair to start growing hair. Rogaine is a growth stimulant. Rogaine stimulates hair follicles that can still grow hair to start growing hair again - but Rogaine does nothing to block the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss. These two medications do two different things. When used together, they help each other.

You are currently a NW3 with the beginning of NW3v. I do not know how long you have been at that stage. I bet it has been at least three years though. However, if it has been longer than five years, you will not likely see appreciable benefit from using Rogaine. If it has been less than five years, you may see appreciable benefit from using Rogaine.

Concerning your questions about hair transplant surgery, you need ask the doctors those questions. Certainly do not listen to StressedToTheBald. He is heavily misinformed and will likely steer you down the wrong path. You can find the most truthful information about treating hereditary hair loss at this link.

http://www.americanhairloss.org/