Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stressdfella
    • Nov 2011

minoxidal widout propecia?

ok, i 'v finally decided to use minoxidal for my hair loss problem. The thing is that i read somewhere that minox hardly works widout propecia. I , being 21, dnt thnk propecia would be gud fr me. Plus, d potential side effects really freak me out. So , what should i do?
  • Tracy C
    • Sep 2011

Hi stressdfella,

Minoxidil is a growth stimulant. It stimulates hair that can grow back to grow back - but it does nothing to block the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss. Finasteride blocks the hormone that triggers hereditary hairs loss - but it does nothing to stimulate hair that can grow back to grow back. These two medications do two different things. When using them together they help each other.

Between Minoxiil and Finasteride, Finasteride is more effective beause it more directly addresses the cause of hereditary hair loss. Minoxidil basically only addresses the symptom.

What you choose to do is entirely up to you. It depends on how much your hair loss bothers you - and how aggressive your hair loss is. The best thing to do is see a doctor who specilizes in treating hair loss. Here is a link to help you find one.

Do not allow yourself to fall victim to the fear mongering over Finasteride that has been going on. Talk it over with a real doctor to get the real facts. You can find the most truthful information about treating hereditary hair loss at this link.

Since you are already using Minoxidil, consider adding Nizoral or Nizoral A-D shampoo to your regime. Use it once per week in place of your regular shampoo.

Comment

• 25 going on 65
      • Sep 2010

Tracy's advice is good.

I also want to add that there is nothing wrong with taking finasteride at your age. At 21 your body is done growing. If you were 16 I would have more reservations.

Last bit of advice: minoxidil without finasteride is not a good investment in my view. You may see short-term improvement, but you will lose your gains before long as DHT continues to attack your follicles.

Comment

• StressedToTheBald
        Inactive
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by stressdfella
        Plus, d potential side effects really freak me out. So , what should i do?
        Do not go down the propecia road. Its now official. I talked against it all along and I was right all this time. Two top US Universities studies have gone public, professors, MDs, they all speak out against propecia now. Risks are not only serious, but can be permanent too. Merck has no anwser, they have even disabled their own website - propecia.com

Please read the entire article:
        "Doctors link hair growth drug to sexual dysfunction, depression and cancer"
        At Examiner.com™ we help you excel personal finance, boost income, invest wisely, travel smart, reach financial freedom faster, and enjoy life on a budget.

Comment

• 25 going on 65
          • Sep 2010

A study of 71 patients who were complaining of undesirable conditions before being selected to participate?
          No representative sample, no control group, an unfunded study that no one can reproduce the results of...

This is about as "official" as a Michael Moore documentary.

"Every MD and professor speaks out against Propecia now"...

More fear mongering. Examiner.com, ha.

Comment

• StressedToTheBald
            Inactive
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by 25 going on 65
            A study of 71 patients who were complaining of undesirable conditions before being selected to participate?
            No representative sample, no control group, an unfunded study that no one can reproduce the results of...

This is about as "official" as a Michael Moore documentary.

"Every MD and professor speaks out against Propecia now"...

More fear mongering. Examiner.com, ha.
            No, disinformation again, they were completely healthy and with no problems whatsover, they weren't old either.

People can choose truth or believe in lies. Believe 2 top US universities studies, professors, MDs and professional journalist or believe Your attempts to discriminate perfectly legitimate evidence.

Comment

• 25 going on 65
              • Sep 2010

It's even worse than I thought.
              Spencer himself has addressed this:

Michael S. Irwig, MD is an endocrinologist at the Medical Faculty Associates in George Washington University, he is also an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Endocrinology. Dr. Irwig recently published a study in the Journal of Sexual Medicine that dealt with Post Finasteride Syndrome (PFS), which is a relatively unknown and misunderstood...

"Arizona Sexual Experience Scale." Hahaha

Comment

• Jan 2012

Originally posted by StressedToTheBald
                No, disinformation again, they were completely healthy and with no problems whatsover, they weren't old either.

People can choose truth or believe in lies. Believe 2 top US universities studies, professors, MDs and professional journalist or believe Your attempts to discriminate perfectly legitimate evidence.
                how about this:
                Before now, there has been no study of finasteride use exceeding 1 year in Japanese men with androgenetic alopecia (AGA) except the study subsequently conducted from the development phase. Since the launch of finasteride, no study in a larger population had been reported. Ethnic variation of the ons …

sample size: 3177
                people who got side effects: 23 (0.7%)

^ how could this happen if propecia is so dangerous??

Comment

• rupe
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by 25 going on 65
                  I also want to add that there is nothing wrong with taking finasteride at your age. At 21 your body is done growing. If you were 16 I would have more reservations.
                  Sexual sides effects are more common in men in their mid 20s and below.

Comment

• Tracy C
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by rupe
                    I do not know if that is true but it makes sense to me that a young male who is not yet finished going through puberty could have a problem. However, I am not a doctor so what do I know.

Comment

• jpm
                      • Nov 2011

I fear that you will be 'fighting' Stressedtothebald on every thread that comes out about the use of finasteride.

I personally have been on it for about 2.5 months with no sides.

I think that natural remedies dont work and even if they did, they would have the same sides as fin. If a natural remedy can lower DHT to the same level as fin, then its going to have the same effect in the body.

the only way this will be resolved is when Stressedtothebald realises natural remedies won't work. I hate to say it because I really wish they did. But like most drugs, synthesised normally trumps natural

Comment

• 25 going on 65
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by rupe
                        Teens I can understand, but men in their 20's? Where can I read about that?
                        Thanks in advance.

Comment

• StressedToTheBald
                          Inactive
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by jpm
                          I fear that you will be 'fighting' Stressedtothebald on every thread that comes out about the use of finasteride.

I personally have been on it for about 2.5 months with no sides.

I think that natural remedies dont work and even if they did, they would have the same sides as fin. If a natural remedy can lower DHT to the same level as fin, then its going to have the same effect in the body.

the only way this will be resolved is when Stressedtothebald realises natural remedies won't work. I hate to say it because I really wish they did. But like most drugs, synthesised normally trumps natural
                          No one is fighting me. If anything people are fighting the truth, and since recently they are fighting legitimate evidence, 2 top US Universities studies, propecia promoters are also fighting all these professors, MDs, they even fight the journalist because they don't like the fact that someone published the news..

Finasteride is a chemical drug, these natural anti-DHT compounds a completely different ball game. Mechanisms of action I believe are completely different, the side damage that appears with finasteride is not appearing with saw palmetto, beta sitosterol, ganoderma lucidum etc.

Besides, the truth is out now. Propecia is a finished drug. They've put down their own website and will be facing heavy charges on court. The game is over for propecia..

Comment

• Tracy C
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by StressedToTheBald
                            If anything people are fighting the truth...
                            That is a big pile of BS.

Comment

• Maradona
                              • Nov 2011

minoxidil is good as long as theres vellus hair or the hair loss is recent, for example you could have had hair loss for 10 years yet still have them minituarized, that's where it can help you, if the follicle is still alive.

I was able to regrow hair at my temples with minoxidil I was static but unfortunately I had the side effects and I am slowly quitting rogaine.

The side effects were too much for me...same with propecia.

However know that I am in the very very small percentage of rogaine side effects. With Propecia I had the sides but they were not permanent and the incidence is VERY VERY LOW for permanent sides.

You can only try minoxidil you never know.

GL.

Comment

Working...