Chrisis Intro! 28 year old male with receding hair!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kirby_
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by chrisis
    Thanks guys.

Spm: did you get results in receded areas with the propecia? I've been on it 3 months and not really seeing anything yet I added the minoxidil and Nizoral shampoo to help it along but that's quite recent.
    3 months is too early to notice anything positive with Propecia, just ride it out. You may get increased shedding for a bit, but that is documented as a sign that the tablets are working for halting hair loss.

I've got the same hopes about new therapies! When I was in my teens I assumed/hoped we'd have a cure by the time my hair loss came about and here we are!
    I know how you feel. Didn't think hair loss would ever be an issue for me, but a combination of hair loss starting too early and scientific progress being too slow... Well, you'll get me. Let's keep up the hopefulness though, maybe there won't be a cure soon but it's inevitable than an improved (or ever drastically improved) new generation of treatments are just round the corner.

Comment

• chrisis
      • Feb 2012

Thanks Kirby.

By the time my consultation comes around I'll have been on the propecia for about 6 months. I wouldn't consider surgery until I've been taking the meds for at least a year, so I'll be reviewing it at the start of 2013 before scheduling any surgery.

Fingers crossed for promising new treatments!

Comment

• ryan555
        • Oct 2010

Chris:

1) Ignore the hysteria posted by the stressed bald guy. He apparently wants everyone to be as miserable and unempowered with their hair loss as he is.

2) I was on propecia for 12 years. I had to quit two years ago due to an unrelated medical issue. Anyway, by the end of the first year, I had completely regrown my childhood hairline, but it did take a few months to see the real results start showing. I think it does work in the hairline for a lot of guys, especially ones like you who don't have advanced loss.

3) You look good as you are now. The fact that you're 28 and just experiencing a receded hairline is probably a good sign that you won't end up with really advanced hair loss, at least not before some better treatment options come along. If you are planning on staying on the "big 3," and you keep up with that regimen, I have a feeling you won't be posting in here or really thinking much about hair loss at all in a few more months time.

Ryan

Comment

• chrisis
          • Feb 2012

Ryan555:

1) It's obviously a very controversial topic
          2) Would you say my hair loss isn't advanced even after viewing the pics of my receded areas in the link? Also, did you apply minoxidil lotion/foam along with the finasteride pills?
          3) Thanks it would be nice to think hair loss won't be big on my mind soon, but unless the medication fixes my receded hairline I will definitely be looking at a transplant It will be a long journey. I'll be beyond 30 before it's resolved :/

Comment

• ryan555
            • Oct 2010

Ryan555:

1) It's obviously a very controversial topic
            2) Would you say my hair loss isn't advanced even after viewing the pics of my receded areas in the link? Also, did you apply minoxidil lotion/foam along with the finasteride pills?
            3) Thanks it would be nice to think hair loss won't be big on my mind soon, but unless the medication fixes my receded hairline I will definitely be looking at a transplant It will be a long journey. I'll be beyond 30 before it's resolved :/
            1) Your hairline looks to be a bit beyond the "mature" zone but you do not look like a "balding guy." I was at a party with a bunch of guys my age this weekend (mid-30's) and noticed that at least half of them had hairlines that were receded as much or more as mine (and yours). Then there were the few poor saps who are actually really bald and will probably end up being a Norwood 6/7. The receded hairline looks pretty normal at my age and I'm not that much older than you. Of course, it will inevitably get worse if we do nothing about it, so I think you are doing good to take control of it now.

2) Yes, I did use minoxidil too and felt like it really helped my hairline. I just used the liquid because it was easier to get onto my scalp since I had pretty thick hair. I will tell you that it does indeed cause a bad shed when you start it and if you ever stop.

3) I know companies have been blowing smoke up our a**es for many years about how this condition is "almost cured," but I am optimistic that we are on the cusp of some very good things. I have made a pretty large investment in one of the more famous companies currently testing cell-based therapies for hair loss and I keep in close contact with their management team. I can tell you that there is some really good progress being made with these therapies that are not being publicized yet. I am hopeful that given a couple more years we will be in a much better position. And I can tell you that if you continue to use the minoxidil and propecia for the next several months, your hair will look better than it does now and will not continue to recede, probably until these better options come to the market.

Comment

• Kirby_
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ryan555
              3) You look good as you are now. The fact that you're 28 and just experiencing a receded hairline is probably a good sign that you won't end up with really advanced hair loss, at least not before some better treatment options come along.
              I'm a few years older, but I feel (relatively!) fortunate for similar reasons; I began hairloss just after my 20s ended, unlike many of my peers who sadly started losing hair in their very early 20s. And we are possibly be on the cusp of several new treatment options being commercially available... I say "treatment" rather than "cure" because that is what in effect they are, but front he sounds of it, far better treatments that the existing Big 3 are.

Comment

• chrisis
                • Feb 2012

Thanks Ryan555, makes me wonder if I'll even need a hair transplant. Do you think the new therapies will come to market soon enough to be an alternative for me? Year or two? Will they even be good enough?

I'm not sure if you're able to answer these questions, sounds like you may be unable to disclose some of this info. I'm very curious about the company you've invested in though!

Kirby, yeah let's hope something comes to fruition soon that is more effective than what we have available now and without any of the negatives.

Comment

• 25 going on 65
                  • Sep 2010

I remember when the US government was severely limiting stem cell research, starting during the Bush Jr. administration, and I sometimes wonder if that had any significant impact on the progress of upcoming MPB treatments.
                  I did notice that when major research got underway for stem cell balding therapies, the major players all seemed to be in Asia or Europe.

I feel fortunate that I started treating MPB at early stages, but not so fortunate to have started losing hair in my early-to-mid 20's. So far so good, but if my regimen starts losing effectiveness before next-generation treatments are available, I will be annoyed.

Comment

• ryan555
                    • Oct 2010

Thanks Ryan555, makes me wonder if I'll even need a hair transplant. Do you think the new therapies will come to market soon enough to be an alternative for me? Year or two? Will they even be good enough?

I'm not sure if you're able to answer these questions, sounds like you may be unable to disclose some of this info. I'm very curious about the company you've invested in though!

Kirby, yeah let's hope something comes to fruition soon that is more effective than what we have available now and without any of the negatives.
                    I tend to believe that the new cell-based therapies will be treatments and not cures. I think if they perform as well or maybe a bit better than Propecia, and are side effect free, that would be HUGE progress. They will possibly be treatments that need to be repeated every year or two, but who on this board would not gladly replace daily pills and lotions for that? I don't think anyone is working on a solution that will grow thick hair on a bald scalp. However, they are working on hair cloning, which could make a truly scar-free, full-density hair transplant a reality. The only "cure" would be gene therapy, but I think science has a way to go to make that a reality.

As far as timeframe goes, the company I have invested in is optimistic on getting a product in the marketplace in Asia in the next couple of years. I would imagine it would probably be another year or two after that to see it in the US and Europe. Again, I think most of us will gladly take a vacation to Thailand if we can avoid surgery. Anyway, I think if you can maintain what you have for now (which Propecia will almost certainly do), then you can probably avoid ever having a transplant.

Comment

• chrisis
                      • Feb 2012

Cheers Ryan, that sounds encouraging! I'll probably still go for some HT consultations. If the meds don't fill in the receded areas I may just need one to tide me over until these new therapies come to market

Good luck with your investment. I hope for everyone's sakes you make MILLIONS

Comment

• Kirby_
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ryan555
                        I tend to believe that the new cell-based therapies will be treatments and not cures. I think if they perform as well or maybe a bit better than Propecia, and are side effect free, that would be HUGE progress. They will possibly be treatments that need to be repeated every year or two, but who on this board would not gladly replace daily pills and lotions for that?
                        That's my opinion also, based on the available data out there. Which is why I'm maintaining via fin for the time being. Better treatments will emerge some day, I'm sure: something called c-a-p-i-t-a-l-i-s-m makes in inevitable.

Comment

• chrisis
                          • Feb 2012

Ryan, is the company you invested in RepliCel?

Comment

• mfc
                            • Oct 2011

hairline

i was told by a dermatologist that the hairline will never grow back once it loses the hair. I have been on Propecia since 1999... I just introduced myself on the board if you wanna read it. Thank you

Comment

• chrisis
                              • Feb 2012

I think the dermatologist is probably wrong. The mistake might be because drug companies are only legally able to promote effectiveness at the crown, because they didn't test it at the hairline. Many men have had success with propecia/minoxidil on the hairline. I've noticed mine thickening up on minoxidil alone.

Moral of the story: even "authority" figures in this industry can be wrong. Trust no one.

Comment

• mfc
                                • Oct 2011

Hi Chrisis, OK. I'm gonna ask my current dermatologist, I think my previous dermatologist told me that. Do you use Nizoral 1% twice a week or more? Have you heard of the Kevis Program? I have been researching it, thought of just trying their shampoo, but they have a complete program. But I've also been researching Regenepure and Nisim. Of course I was told no shampoo can help with hair loss.

Comment

Working...