X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpm
    • Nov 2011

Propecia and the gym

Hi,
    I've been on propecia for just over 2 months and I've decided to hit the gym. I'd like to put on a bit of weight because I'm quite skinny! Nothing drastic, not looking to body build, just maybe some more strength and muscle definition. I will be going 3 times a week.

Just wondered if going to the gym will affect my propecia, or vice versa. I'm not going to take any supplements like creatine because I have read it can raise dht levels!

Your thoughts would be greatly received
  • spm
    • Apr 2011

Great question. Im about to go to the gym myself and was wondering the same thing. Would love to hear from a doctor or doctors rep or someone who has been told advice from a doctor.

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
      • Oct 2011

Supplements do not boost DHT levels, they boost testosterone levels which in turn means there is more free T floating around to be converted to DHT.

So it is inevitable that if you take a workout program seriously you will be boosting your T levels to begin with which will in turn boost the amount of DHT. To what degree? Thats person dependent and unanswerable.

You will read a lot on body building forums about guys taking aromatase inhibiters and DHT blockers for a reason. Guys with high T and high DHT and the evil hair will lose it at an accelerated rate. Thus they take a DHT blocker. Unfortunately this then means DHT is not there to antagonize and prevent the conversion of T to E (estradiol) - with an unnatural balance at play like that you will inevitably get side effects, which ones and to what degree is a genetic unknown until the road has been traveled (this is something that should be studied, but honestly who wants to risk it?!). Therefore AI's are also taken to keep the E levels in check.

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
        • Oct 2011

Let me clarify:

Unless you plan to unnaturally boost your T - don't worry so much about that last paragraph I wrote. I just wanted to try to make it a bit more clear if you search for "propecia weight lifting" and read some forum on a bodybuilding website.

Yes, if you lift you may see a shed occur since your DHT is going to go up.

But look on the bright side - the best looking bald(ing) guys also have muscular definition and good physiques

Comment

• jpm
          • Nov 2011

Thanks for the reply.

I read on Wikipedia (i know its not the most reliable of places) that creatine boosts dht production.

would the increase of T adversely affect propecia's function? Would it make it less effective if there is more T in the body? or will this be inhibited?

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by jpm
            Thanks for the reply.

I read on Wikipedia (i know its not the most reliable of places) that creatine boosts dht production.

would the increase of T adversely affect propecia's function? Would it make it less effective if there is more T in the body? or will this be inhibited?
            DHT is not a hormone that is produced, it is converted from testosterone by the enzyme 5 Alpha Reductase. Finasteride binds to the 5AR receptor thereby preventing/lessening any conversion that relies on 5AR.

Effectiveness is rather relative quite honestly. Your hair may be more sensitive to DHT then another, and while Propecia works for you now with your DHT levels where they are, having those levels altered because testosterone was raised may decrease its relative effectiveness but again, it is an unknown per person until the road is traveled.

Comment

• 8868alex
              • May 2010

This is a good thread -

I'm 32 years with a receding hairline but no loss in the crown thus far. I think Propecia is helping to keep what I have. Here's my question: I'm 5'10", about 220-230lbs and out of shape. I want to start exercising again but fear that the exercise will build testosterone and thus will accelerate my hairloss. Is this a

As long as you eat a healthy diet and balance any resistance training with cardio, then you should be fine. I would avoid Creatine and even be wary of other supplements. Whilst Testosterone levels will be raised during exercise, this is temporary and providing that you are not looking to adopt a heavy body building regime, then you should be ok.

On a personal level, I have found the above to be true. A common sense approach should prevail to avoid any problems.

Comment

• 8868alex
                • May 2010

Here is another from Dr Charles -

I always kind of thought people were worried about nothing. Found this on CNN health. http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/expert.q.a/11/19/weight.lifting.hair.loss.jampolis/index.html

Comment

• jpm
                  • Nov 2011

thanks for all your responses.

I'll only be doing the gym 2 or 3 times a week and nowhere near the level of intensity of a body builder. if you saw me and then thought body builder you would die of laughter.

I'm hoping my gym sessions won't cancel out fin! but just one more question about protein shakes. I have read that they do increase T and therefore DHT, I've read they dont, I've read some shakes do and some don't etc etc.

can anyone one clarify?

thanks

Comment

• 8868alex
                    • May 2010

Personally I avoid the lot. If you eat a balanced diet, it's surplus to requirement anyway. Good luck!

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by jpm
                      thanks for all your responses.

I'll only be doing the gym 2 or 3 times a week and nowhere near the level of intensity of a body builder. if you saw me and then thought body builder you would die of laughter.
                      Be aware, you aren't going to change much of your musculature unless you do heavy resistance training. If you are eating a caloric surplus and you are gaining weight but not lifting heavy, thats likely not muscle weight.

I'm hoping my gym sessions won't cancel out fin! but just one more question about protein shakes. I have read that they do increase T and therefore DHT, I've read they dont, I've read some shakes do and some don't etc etc.

can anyone one clarify?

thanks
                      If a shake is designed to be a growth hormone supplement and boost T, it will state that on its labeling because its a huge selling point.

So don't just go grab whatever shake because it says it has 25g of protein, read the labels.

Keep in mind, an uptake in protein, unless coupled with a sufficient increase in T due to heavy resistance lifting, won't actually help build muscle mass to gain strength, lose body fat and gain definition.

You're kind of stuck here. You want to avoid higher T, but want the benefits that only higher T (+protein) can provide.

You have a choice to make. Gain size and definition and risk a bit more shed, or become one of the guys who visits the gym but never makes any *real* progress.

Comment

• StressedToTheBald
                        Inactive
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by NotBelievingIt
                        If a shake is designed to be a growth hormone supplement and boost T, it will state that on its labeling because its a huge selling point.
                        I take a protein shake very high in arginine - over 1500mg per serving. Arginine is growth hormone related, but also NO - Nitric Oxide related, its actually a precursor to NO.. and nitric oxide boosts cell energy and circulation in hair folicles.
                        Any thoughts ?

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by StressedToTheBald
                          I take a protein shake very high in arginine - over 1500mg per serving. Arginine is growth hormone related, but also NO - Nitric Oxide related, its actually a precursor to NO.. and nitric oxide boosts cell energy and circulation in hair folicles.
                          Any thoughts ?
                          It would be specifically testosterone boosting as the growth provider.

Never heard of Arginine so... http://www.livestrong.com/article/29...ine-hair-loss/

Apparently Arginine is actually beneficial to hair! In addition NO helps with blood circulation as you stated, so your erections will be more potent!

Comment

• StressedToTheBald
                            Inactive
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by NotBelievingIt
                            It would be specifically testosterone boosting as the growth provider.

Never heard of Arginine so... http://www.livestrong.com/article/29...ine-hair-loss/

Apparently Arginine is actually beneficial to hair! In addition NO helps with blood circulation as you stated, so your erections will be more potent!
                            Its all good then, yeah thats what I believe too about arginine.
                            As for specific testosterone boosters, I stay away from those..

Comment

• jpm
                              • Nov 2011

The shake I have is all natural with no hormones added.

just wanted to get a bit more protein to help after a workout, I'm not looking to bulk up massively at all.

Comment

Working...