+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi 19 years old

Default Hi 19 years old

Hi all,

I have recently just been browsing these forums, but now I feel that it is time for me to introduce myself and discuss whats going on with me. Firstly I am nineteen. I have never really paid much attention to my hair. I have always had a high hair line which isnt flat but arches. My mum says it because 'I have a irish forehead', not sure if this is her just trying to be nice. I would say that I have always had thin hair to a extend, more so in the temple area of my head. As long as I remember if I would itch and rub my head my a few hairs might come out. To be honest im not so worried about shedding yet. More recently I think that my temple area has thinned abit, but also has become quite flaky on onside. I have just ordered some Nizorial shampoo and will be using this 2x a week. The other shampoo I use is herbal essences full volume. I know this wont have a positive effect on thinning etc but thought I should still inform you of what Im doing.

From the symptoms described. Would you friendly people advise me to see a doctor and try and get a presciption for propecia. Because its not shedding im worried about and I dont think it is necessary I dont think ill use minoxidil as I thought it was for regrowth.

Im not really bothered about balding as I just see it a part of life tbh, but I would still prefer to prevent it if possible.

Many thanks

Welcome. I wish I could share your attitude to hair loss about not being bothered about it!

If it doesn't bother you, don't take finasteride (propecia). I'm sure you are already aware of the side effects. When I spoke to the cosmetic surgeon here who does a lot of hair transplants told me that a lot of younger guys particularly experience the sexual side effects.

If it is not too serious at this stage maybe you should start out trying some natural options. Nizoral is great, and maybe consider natural DHT blockers like saw palmetto which don't have side effects and see if it has any difference.

There will be others who respond telling you not to listen and that only finasteride is God but you need to have all the info to make an informed decision

Thanks for the info and response.

Its weird because sometimes I am bothered by it, I think I cant go bald etc. We have all been there.

But in other ways I think to myself, I am lucky to be here where I am in life now. I know people who have suffered with cancer or in a wheel chair, so sometimes I feel life could be alot worse and hair loss isnt the worst thing in the world. Dont get me wrong, but I chosen to take the attitude to take a step back and think 'is worth obessing and worrying about'. Something that most people in life turn a blind eye when you meet. I just think life is too short to be worrying about things like that. However there is still a large part of me that thinks its terrible, why me, but I am trying to stay in a positive state of mind and try and make best of a bad situation.