+ Reply to Thread

Default 19 years old thinking about getting a hair transplant

Hi guys,

My hairline started receding around three years ago and now my hair looks terrible. I wouldn't mind if I had a wife and pretty face (so I could get a buzz cut) but I don't .I am desperate to look have my hairline back for university which I start in November. Would there be any drawbacks to getting a hair transplant at my age? If anyone reading this post has had a hair transplant was you pleased with the results and was there any downsides?

Thanks in advanced.

Recede,

You're much too young for any HT surgery. Take the time to understand your hairloss, the fact that it progressess over a lifetime. It's called Male Pattern Baldness (MPB).

Even before you ever consider a HT, you must understand your hairloss and where it can be headed according to your own family history. If there are advanced classes of MPB on either side maternal or paternal, then it is very likely that you will be headed for the same. You need to "first" understand both the benefits and risks of HT surgery.

You need to reserach what the effective hairloss meds are and how they work. No doubt at your age, you are more a candidate for a medicinal approach to your hairloss than surgery.

Do your own research online. Stay away from hungy sales reps and consultants who are eager to sell "anyone" with $ to pay for a procedure.

After you have an understanding of your own hairloss, then see a reputable doctor who would first need to make a formal diagnosis of MPB and also to get you started on Propecia, etc.

The worst thing you can do is to be driven by your emotions looking in a mirror at your hairline every five minutes, and thinking you will solve everything by just jumping into a HT.

Take the time and do your homework first or you may regret making the biggest mistake of your life.

Best wishes to you...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Buddy you a way to young. I know you may want to punch me in the head for saying that but there are plenty of people who will want to take your money and promise you the world.

Just be careful.
    I know how you feel, I was in the same boat but now I am 28.
    I have two friends that have had hairline recceed and stop falling out but that is not always the case.

Go see you doctor and see what he can offer. Do not get a HT now buddy trust me on this one

Thanks for the replys. My hairline is so bad though

18 is much too young

But if you can muster up the courgae, your concerns will be solved for life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvO6...layer_embedded

WAY TO YOUNG FOR HT! Don't do it...... Trust the opinions your getting on this thread. Don't let any Doctor talk you into it becouse no one will know the longterm hairloss your going to have. I was your age when I started loosing my hair. If I could do it again, I'd put a #2 clipper on my entire head, grow a gotee and call it a day. It's a good look. Give it a try.
    Add propecia and Rogain foam to your daily routine and that should slow the progress.

Save yourself the frustration, cost, and disapointments. This is your best option for now untill there is a clear understanding of how much hair your ultimately going to lose.

Also, look into Good look ink. Just another option.

Try not to stress about it....

Good point Highlander. Only thing I disagree on is the social pressure is still there. You never really want to give up looking good. The buzz cut is a decent look and many can pull it off. I think the stress comes now from hiding scars or worrying about loosing more hair and not having enough donor to prevent looking like a clown.

If you can put it off, I would.

That's why thinking in terms of planning over a lifetime is so crucial. We never know how the rate of progession will go in the future and the extent. Yes family history is the best long term indicator yet most of our predecessors did not use finasteride or minoxidil that we have today.

We have to be careful to consider what areas in the future are most apt to need work/coverage, and also to not dedicate too much donor (density) in the lower visual impact areas.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin