Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JustJoe
    • Oct 2008

Transplants - Good experience(s)

Hello. I have heard so many horror stories about hair transplants, but I must say my experiences have been nothing but good!

I started losing my hair in 1997 (I think), so I started taking Propecia. After many months, my hair stopped falling out and much of it actually grew back. In fact, only an expert would know that I had some hair loss. I didn't use any combovers or masking "dust". So basically, I had what looked like a full head of hair.

Then in 2007, I went to Dr. Alan Bauman in Boco Raton, Florida and asked him to thicken up my frontal hairline and fill in my crown with some quailty grafts. A year later, my hair was ultra thick in the front.

Just recently, days ago, I had another 2500 grafts to "double thicken" my front and crown.

In both cases, I had very little shock loss and the procedure was simple for me. Really, only had 1 evening/night of pain controlled by Vicoden.

I used a transplant to make my hair better quality, I didn't need a tranplant, but I like a full thick head of hair. I'm not saying get a transplant if you're not bald, I'm saying if you go to the right doctor, the results can be amazing. No shock loss, 1 day of discomfort, 90% of the results in about 1 year, and I did it twice!

My advice is to find the right doctor (one from the IAHRS) and check out all options. My hair is super thick and will just get better! I was supposed to be bald 10 years ago! Propecia and the transplants improved my look, and I had no problems. In the end, as a patient, you need to make an informed decision, but there are good doctors out there who get amazing results.
  • SpencerKobren
    Administrator
    • Oct 2008

Looking Good Joe!

Hey Joe,
    You should definitely link to your Youtube page to show off your results. You're looking good my man! Dr. Bauman should hire you to stand outside of his office wearing a sandwich board with before and after shots on it.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Comment

• JustJoe
      • Oct 2008

Good hair....this way

Originally posted by SpencerKobren
      Hey Joe,
      You should definitely link to your Youtube page to show off your results. You're looking good my man! Dr. Bauman should hire you to stand outside of his office wearing a sandwich board with before and after shots on it.
      Thanks. I'd do that. Hang outside Dr. Bauman's in South Florida on the water and say "You want hair like this? Do ya?"

Also, for viewers, here is my Youtube video just using Propecia, no transplant at the time of this video:

Last edited by JustJoe; 11-01-2008, 12:20 PM. Reason: embed video

Comment

• SpencerKobren
        Administrator
        • Oct 2008

I love the video...I think it says it all!

It's so important for people to fully understand the importance of compliance. They have to stick with the medication for at least a year in order to assess their results. Even those who don't see the significant regrowth that you've achieved, should understand that Propecia can still be doing it's job at reversing the miniaturization process and slowing the progression of their hair loss.
        Spencer Kobren

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Comment

• JustJoe
          • Oct 2008

Results as of 11/3/08

Originally posted by SpencerKobren
          It's so important for people to fully understand the importance of compliance. They have to stick with the medication for at least a year in order to assess their results. Even those who don't see the significant regrowth that you've achieved, should understand that Propecia can still be doing it's job at reversing the miniaturization process and slowing the progression of their hair loss.
          True. Very True. Here are my results after ~2300 grafts. I have another 2500 that are 2 weeks old, which should be in visible in the growth phase by Feburary 09. There is hope people, I should be bald by now! Propecia allowed me to keep most of my hair and the transplants made it thicker.

Frontal View:

Side View:

- Work by Dr. Alan Bauman, Boco Raton, Florida.

(PS: I do not work for, nor am I paid Dr. Bauman.)
          Last edited by JustJoe; 11-03-2008, 05:08 PM. Reason: Embeded Image

Comment

• TeeJay73
            • Oct 2008

Lookin' good Joe!

Joe -- looks awesome! In a few months, when I reach 1 full year post-op, I'll put up some of my pictures. I had 1,661 grafts by Doctor McAndrews, and plan to do another one with him for more density and fullness.

But you're lookin' good!

TeeJay

Comment

• JustJoe
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by TeeJay73
              Joe -- looks awesome! In a few months, when I reach 1 full year post-op, I'll put up some of my pictures. I had 1,661 grafts by Doctor McAndrews, and plan to do another one with him for more density and fullness.

But you're lookin' good!

TeeJay
              Thanks. Just curious, why only 1661? Cost issue or donor issue?

Comment

• SpencerKobren
                Administrator
                • Oct 2008

Nice Hair!

Dude, your hair looks so healthy and full! Good for you.
                Spencer Kobren

Comment

• TeeJay73
                  • Oct 2008

Neither actually. Doctor McAndrews takes a conservative approach and will transplant only 20% density in a single session. For my head, 20% density equates to 1,661 grafts. All grafts were placed in the front/top region. Doctor McAndrews' philosophy is to be conservative, for several reasons, including the fact that hair banks (donor areas) are all that balding men have to work with if they are seeking a hair transplant. So, he moves conservatively, in 20% density increments.

TeeJay

Comment

• JustJoe
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by TeeJay73
                    Neither actually. Doctor McAndrews takes a conservative approach and will transplant only 20% density in a single session. For my head, 20% density equates to 1,661 grafts. All grafts were placed in the front/top region. Doctor McAndrews' philosophy is to be conservative, for several reasons, including the fact that hair banks (donor areas) are all that balding men have to work with if they are seeking a hair transplant. So, he moves conservatively, in 20% density increments.

TeeJay
                    I see. Some doctors are the opposite, they want at least 2500-3000 per session. Either way, I'm sure you'll get good results!

Comment

• PayDay
                      • Nov 2008

Do you guys think that having a small hair transplant to see if I would be happy with the outcome is a good idea? I'm a little short on cash and can only afford to spend about $5000 at this point. i would like to have my hairline filled in but I am nervous that I won't be happy. I always hear Spencer telling guys not to rush into having a hair transplant. I don't know, just curious to hear what you guys think.

Comment

• TeeJay73
                        • Oct 2008

Just tread cautiously and stay with the IAHRS

Hey PayDay,

I think you already know this, but, my first piece of personal advice would be to only with the doctors of the IAHRS. And be careful with this too! Make sure they belong to the IAHRS. If Spencer lists them on his site (iahrs.org), then I'm certain they belong. But interestingly I came across a website this weekend for a hair transplant doctor that claims to be a member of the IAHRS and recommended by The American Hair Loss Association (AHLA), and I don't believe either is true! Check out this doctor's site that I found: http://www.rosanelli.com/patient_faqs.aspx . Scroll down and ou'll see the logos of the IAHRS and AHLA. Spencer, does this guy belong? Or did they just rip off your logos? It's just so frsutrating for people that are seeking genuine help.

Second thing PayDay, once you're with the IAHRS, just be honest and let the doctor know you're financial position. The cool thing about IAHRS doctors is that you can be perfectly honest and real; there's no sales pitching. What you want to do is get enough grafts for $5,000 that produces a COSMETICALLY SIGNIFICANT result. Otherwise you have nothing to measure it against. In my 1st transplant, I got 800 grafts from a non-IAHRS doctor for about $7000, and the results were not noticeable, especially since I continued to lose hair. Getting a comestically significant result depends on several things that the doctor can walk you thru, such as amount of balding you are experiencing, how much area has to be covered, cost of grafts, etc. I can't say for certain, but I am willing to bet that there are people out there that have realized cosmetically significant results for $5,000. Just do your homework and be careful!

Hope this helps, TeeJay

Comment

• SpencerKobren
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 2008

TeeJay,

Great response to PayDay's question! As for Dr. Rosanelli, you are correct in stating that he is not an accepted member of the IAHRS or recommended by The American Hair Loss Association. The truth is, it is not uncommon for for some of the less than ethical physicians in this field to claim that they are recommended by our organizations. We have asked Dr. Rossnelli to remove our certification seals from his marketing materials in the past and will be contacting again today.
                          No less than a month ago we had to request that our certification seals be removed from the website of a well known Chicago based hair transplant clinic. It saddens me to think that patients might have been persuaded to book surgery with one of these physicians based on believing that they were recommended my our organizations.

Thanks for the heads up!
                          Spencer Kobren

Comment

• JustJoe
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by PayDay
                            Do you guys think that having a small hair transplant to see if I would be happy with the outcome is a good idea? I'm a little short on cash and can only afford to spend about $5000 at this point. i would like to have my hairline filled in but I am nervous that I won't be happy. I always hear Spencer telling guys not to rush into having a hair transplant. I don't know, just curious to hear what you guys think.

My opinion is to save the $5,000, it's not enough to get a good cosmetic result. I wouldn't do less than 2,000 grafts personally because some of the grafts are going to get damaged during the procedure and some may not grow at all. To get good results, I have found more is better. For me, between 2,000-3,000 is a good number of grafts. Just my opinion and my results are excellent.
                            Last edited by JustJoe; 11-04-2008, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• TeeJay73
                              • Oct 2008

Trademarked Logos?

Spencer,

Out of curiosity, have you ever sought trademark protection for the AHLA and IAHRS logos? While I don't know for sure, and while I realize it is none of my business, it seems registered trademarks could act as legal deterrents to those falsely trying to use them?

Just curious!

TeeJay

Comment

Working...