+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Do you guys think that having a small hair transplant to see if I would be happy with the outcome is a good idea? I'm a little short on cash and can only afford to spend about $5000 at this point. i would like to have my hairline filled in but I am nervous that I won't be happy. I always hear Spencer telling guys not to rush into having a hair transplant. I don't know, just curious to hear what you guys think.

Default Just tread cautiously and stay with the IAHRS

Hey PayDay,

I think you already know this, but, my first piece of personal advice would be to only with the doctors of the IAHRS. And be careful with this too! Make sure they belong to the IAHRS. If Spencer lists them on his site (iahrs.org), then I'm certain they belong. But interestingly I came across a website this weekend for a hair transplant doctor that claims to be a member of the IAHRS and recommended by The American Hair Loss Association (AHLA), and I don't believe either is true! Check out this doctor's site that I found: http://www.rosanelli.com/patient_faqs.aspx . Scroll down and ou'll see the logos of the IAHRS and AHLA. Spencer, does this guy belong? Or did they just rip off your logos? It's just so frsutrating for people that are seeking genuine help.

Second thing PayDay, once you're with the IAHRS, just be honest and let the doctor know you're financial position. The cool thing about IAHRS doctors is that you can be perfectly honest and real; there's no sales pitching. What you want to do is get enough grafts for $5,000 that produces a COSMETICALLY SIGNIFICANT result. Otherwise you have nothing to measure it against. In my 1st transplant, I got 800 grafts from a non-IAHRS doctor for about $7000, and the results were not noticeable, especially since I continued to lose hair. Getting a comestically significant result depends on several things that the doctor can walk you thru, such as amount of balding you are experiencing, how much area has to be covered, cost of grafts, etc. I can't say for certain, but I am willing to bet that there are people out there that have realized cosmetically significant results for $5,000. Just do your homework and be careful!

Hope this helps, TeeJay

TeeJay,

Great response to PayDay's question! As for Dr. Rosanelli, you are correct in stating that he is not an accepted member of the IAHRS or recommended by The American Hair Loss Association. The truth is, it is not uncommon for for some of the less than ethical physicians in this field to claim that they are recommended by our organizations. We have asked Dr. Rossnelli to remove our certification seals from his marketing materials in the past and will be contacting again today.
    No less than a month ago we had to request that our certification seals be removed from the website of a well known Chicago based hair transplant clinic. It saddens me to think that patients might have been persuaded to book surgery with one of these physicians based on believing that they were recommended my our organizations.

Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    Do you guys think that having a small hair transplant to see if I would be happy with the outcome is a good idea? I'm a little short on cash and can only afford to spend about $5000 at this point. i would like to have my hairline filled in but I am nervous that I won't be happy. I always hear Spencer telling guys not to rush into having a hair transplant. I don't know, just curious to hear what you guys think.

My opinion is to save the $5,000, it's not enough to get a good cosmetic result. I wouldn't do less than 2,000 grafts personally because some of the grafts are going to get damaged during the procedure and some may not grow at all. To get good results, I have found more is better. For me, between 2,000-3,000 is a good number of grafts. Just my opinion and my results are excellent.
    Last edited by JustJoe; 11-04-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Default Trademarked Logos?

Spencer,

Out of curiosity, have you ever sought trademark protection for the AHLA and IAHRS logos? While I don't know for sure, and while I realize it is none of my business, it seems registered trademarks could act as legal deterrents to those falsely trying to use them?

Just curious!

TeeJay

Default Good Point!

Hey TeeJay,
    Both are United States registered trademarks.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I just have to save my money before I have surgery. Can I ask you how much you paid for 2000 grafts Justjoe? Do you think it's worth traveling to see Dr. Bauman for a consultation or should I just see a good doctor in my area?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I just have to save my money before I have surgery. Can I ask you how much you paid for 2000 grafts Justjoe? Do you think it's worth traveling to see Dr. Bauman for a consultation or should I just see a good doctor in my area?

You could send him some pictures via email and he can make a good estimate from there. You don't have to travel to Florida to get an estimate. I travel from Maryland (over 1000 miles) to see him. He's not at bargin basement pricing, he doesn't claim to be, but he does get results and he is well known in the US and around the world. I also had no shock loss, which takes skill!

I think I paid about $10,000 for 2,000 grafts. Dr. Bauman paid for the hotel for 2 nights, which is the Hilton in Boca Raton, Florida.

Check him out on Youtube, user name AlanBauman.

Thanks for your help!

Junior Member Gregory Pistone, MD's Avatar

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question Dr. Pistone. I asked a hair transplant question in the hair transplant veterans forum.

I got some good answers but was wondering what a doctor like yuorself thought.
    here is a link to the thread.
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=76&page=2

I'm guesing the admin here wants to keep hair transpalnt stuff in the hair tranplant section.

Thanks again!

Hi PayDay,

Good question. I agree completely, for the most part, with all the advice from the above posts. Bottom line, never get a partial transplant because you can't afford to have a full one. Some "clinics" offer "starter sessions" when they find out you can't afford the fee they want. Not a good idea.

On the other hand, prices vary with geographic location and I don't think you need to spend $10,000 for a great hair transplant. Naturally, you would expect to spend that in Manhattan or Boca. In Philly/South Jersey where we are located, prices are more moderate. On the other hand, a high price, especially prevalent at some clinics is no guarantee of a good result. I just had a patient in from a consultation at such a clinic who quoted him $21,000. Absurd. So beware.

If you could upload a few photos, either to the forum or to me privately, I could give you an idea as to whether you should even be considering a HT at this point. Your age and hair type are also quite important. Maybe you should just start on finesteride. In any case, more info is needed to give you an honest assessment. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Best regards,

Dr. Greg Pistone
    www.pistonehair.com