+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Yes it does work. But it takes a different time for different people to see results.

For example, some claim to see results in the first 3-6 months. Others claim to see results in under a year or within a year. Personally, i'm starting to see regrowth AFTER more than a year, 15 months to be exact. I've also been on finasteride for 15 months.

The most important thing is, that while it took a while for my hair to start regrowing, I had a set back because I was also diagnosed with Alopecia Areata in the middle of last year, on top of my already MPB. My AA has been treated and it's getting better, my Dermatologist has injected me with some steroid, I forgot what it was, I think it's a cortisone injection steroid, i've gotten injections on 4 different appointments. The injection seems to not only make my AA better, but I think it's aiding fin and minoxidil in my fight with MPB.

The bald patches infected by AA went from being completely bald, hair less, just skin, to now it's really filling up and doctors say I am lucky I have responded so well, they say it doesn't work at all for some people. They actually asked me if I wanted to be part of a study, they're trying to find a cure for AA, they wanna see why it works on some people and doesn't work on other people.
    That's interesting that they used steroid injections to regrow hair lost due to Alopecia Areata. I often wonder why they don't at least try to use steroid injections to regrow hair in people suffering from male pattern baldness.

but say you're balding at the top front of the scalp and there is peach fuzz there. If you use minoxidil 5% solution once a day before bed and nizoral 2% shampoo, will the peach fuzz turn into normal hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldasaurus View Post
    but say you're balding at the top front of the scalp and there is peach fuzz there. If you use minoxidil 5% solution once a day before bed and nizoral 2% shampoo, will the peach fuzz turn into normal hair?
    That depends.. results vary on how long the male pattern baldness has been on the individual..five years, ten years or maybe less.. in terms of peach fuzz has been there. And the severity of the baldness in terms of the Norwood scale

How long the hair follicles have been miniaturized and dormant in their growth phase might determine how responsive the treatment is or in some cases the peach fuzz might never darken and grow into full hair. The length of time the DHT has bound itself to the receptors in the hair follicle and to undo the damage might be quicker in some and in others it might be a slower process to rectify.

If it sheds and grows back you will have your answer. But based on the severity minoxidil 5% is to be used twice a day, nizoral twice a week and finasteride 1 mg once a day.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
    That depends.. results vary on how long the male pattern baldness has been on the individual..five years, ten years or maybe less.. in terms of peach fuzz has been there. And the severity of the baldness in terms of the Norwood scale

How long the hair follicles have been miniaturized and dormant in their growth phase might determine how responsive the treatment is or in some cases the peach fuzz might never darken and grow into full hair. The length of time the DHT has bound itself to the receptors in the hair follicle and to undo the damage might be quicker in some and in others it might be a slower process to rectify.

If it sheds and grows back you will have your answer. But based on the severity minoxidil 5% is to be used twice a day, nizoral twice a week and finasteride 1 mg once a day.
    Thanks Chris. Well im currently 17, turning 18 in a month and i started noticing my hairline receding at late 15. I am currently between a NW2 and NW3. I got a haircut about a month ago and thats when i noticed all of the peach fuzz replacing the terminal hair that used to be on my hairline. So i havent even been balding for 5 years. With this being said, do you think the vellus hairs will go terminal?

So I asked this elsewhere, but haven't gotten an answer, so maybe someone here can chime in: exactly how bad is the shed, typically? Does it just blow your hair out, or is it relatively minor? I just want to brace myself for how bad I'm gonna look.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    So I asked this elsewhere, but haven't gotten an answer, so maybe someone here can chime in: exactly how bad is the shed, typically? Does it just blow your hair out, or is it relatively minor? I just want to brace myself for how bad I'm gonna look.
    shed for what? Fin? or Minoxidil?

for Minoxidil, I havent heard of any massive/major shed, at most a minor shed.

Dont expect massive results from minoxidil, the best receptor may gain a little bit of ground and thickness, but you wont be getting a full head of hair back for sure.

Finasteride the shed varies but on average it's not bad, i'm shedding on it now but it's fairly minor, noticeable but minor. Not clumps of hair coming out of my head or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldasaurus View Post
    Thanks Chris. Well im currently 17, turning 18 in a month and i started noticing my hairline receding at late 15. I am currently between a NW2 and NW3. I got a haircut about a month ago and thats when i noticed all of the peach fuzz replacing the terminal hair that used to be on my hairline. So i havent even been balding for 5 years. With this being said, do you think the vellus hairs will go terminal?
    on average some do grow back, I havent heard or read anything guarenteeing all vellus hairs to return to normal, but most say that some will get reinforced.

the earlier or bigger the vellus hair, probably more likely they'll work and they give you a bigger chance to regrow than slick bald spots that's for sure!

Default Rogaine 5% works!

(18 year old)3 month results using rogaine 5%. Had my doubts but after shredding a couple weeks it started growing back thicker. First pic 2 weeks using rogaine second pic 3 months later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4C655CB1-69B2-4789-B4A4-45824370838E.jpg

Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	53901   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC4DA8F1-54EC-4064-A89C-B36D6D915E73.jpg

Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	53902  

Looks much better Congratulations, more often than not minox causes the miniaturization of follicles over time(more hair but vellus hair only) does nothing for thicker looking hair in the front, while the crown looks slightly better from the vellus hair. Glad its working for you!

Quote Originally Posted by ravegrover View Post
    Hello All:

I'm NW III with thinning hair in top frontal region. Take finasteride daily so have been retaining hair.

I'm wondering if I should start Minoxidil 5%. I'm prepared to do it sincerely twice a day if it will re-grow or thicken hair in front.

Please let me know if anyone has had success with this product and whether it causes noticeable improvement.

I have been unable to see good before/after pics on internet. Thank you all!!

Rave
    I don't believe Rogaine actually causes permanently dormant hair follicles to grow hair again.

Rather, Rogaine likely keeps follicles that are already functioning normally (i.e., not yet killed off by mpb) in the growth phase of the hair life cycle (Google that). If, say, 20% on average of a person's living hair follicles are in the resting phase at any one time, then Rogaine will wake them up and keep them awake, so you'll get maybe a 25% increase in density because all your follicles are producing hair at the same time.

But then after a while, the body adjusts (follicles, like people, need their sleep), and the Rogaine loses its effect. In my case, Rogaine started losing its effectiveness after a few years.