+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My story...

To the original poster:

The scare stories about finasteride are highly overstated by a vocal minority. Right now there's really no legitimate evidence for permanent side effects.

If you're worried about your hair, I strongly recommend trying finasteride for at least 12 months (18-24 would be ideal). This is the only product known to address the cause of hereditary male hair loss other than dutasteride, which is more experimental (i.e. it works, but much less is known about it for long-term use in hair loss sufferers).
    Ketoconazole and minoxidil are good supporting treatments, but without finasteride or dutasteride, they won't do much on their own.
    Good luck.

Inactive

Before You jump into fire, please read the conclusions of the two top US Universities studies. Professors and MDs, they all speak out against finasteride now. Conclusions and results are more than clear, this drug is a serious hazard. The only one silent is the manufacturer - Merck - they've even disabled their website, turning all the blame & complaints towards FDA.

http://www.examiner.com/courts-in-ba...#ixzz1mLgDjzw3

There is more than plenty of legitimate evidence of how dangerous finastride is and how side effects can indeed be permanent.

get on fin asap! Don't listen to StressedToTheBald, he's already bald and he is the proof that natural treatments don't work!

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    Don't listen to StressedToTheBald, he's already bald and he is the proof that natural treatments don't work!
    Oh, there is way more proof than just him.

Propecia isn't perfect, and there are unfortunately risks one needs to be aware of – unfortunately. Statistically speaking, you are more likely to get good rather than bad results, however.

I'd also rate it above that unproven Saw Palmetto crap too. I (foolishly) tried that for a few months, after the negative stories about Propecia/Finasteride I saw online. Not only did SP not help (it's not even proven), I got horrible side-effects that were remarkably similar to the negative problems associated with Propecia/Finasteride!

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    Many thanks for posting rupe, I appreciate the link too and will check it out. I'm surprised how people turn a blind eye on a story like Yours. It is personal, it is experience from within and should be heard and given proper attention. It serves as a warning to anyone willing to listen, that we shouldn't risk and go down the same road. Plenty of people have quit due to side effects, and all of You who have suffered, regardless if its temporary or permanent side effects, its insultive to be called minority when lives and health are at stake.
    You're welcome. It is insulting when people say we are 'scare mongering' when in fact we are only sharing our personal experiences. It's also insulting when I'm told things like I am wasting my time trying other remedies, or that I don't care enough since I am not willing to take finasteride, when having to endure the side effects and the realisation I had to quit the drug which some have find successful is distressing enough.

I just wish people could post their opinions without making personal attacks like those against you when simply posting a link to an article about studies by some top MDs.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by rupe View Post
    You're welcome. It is insulting when people say we are 'scare mongering' when in fact we are only sharing our personal experiences. It's also insulting when I'm told things like I am wasting my time trying other remedies, or that I don't care enough since I am not willing to take finasteride, when having to endure the side effects and the realisation I had to quit the drug which some have find successful is distressing enough.

I just wish people could post their opinions without making personal attacks like those against you when simply posting a link to an article about studies by some top MDs.
    I couldn't agree more rupe. It is insulting that in every thread we express our thoughts backed either by personal experience or scientific studies - we're instantly marked as fear mongering people, and how we're misinformed, and how everyone should either take propecia or accept their baldness, and every time a new guy comes here looking for help - first he is presented by propecia promoters with a claim of how propecia is the only proven and generally safe thing and how one should either take it or make peace with baldness. But I am so glad that now the truth is out there, I am glad its now public, what we have been saying all along, that propecia is a health hazard. Two top US Universities studies, Boston and Washington, top professors, MDs have exposed what we were suggesting all this time - that propecia is extremely dangerous. Dr. Traish and Dr. Irwig talk about permanent disorders, ED, but also cancer and depression. And Dr. Irwig's findings suggest way much higher risk percentages than ones presented by manufacturer. Lawyers are saying this makes it a completely new ball game - they are preparing for court, damaged people are pressing charges, Merck has shut down their own website ! Further more, it feels like an ultimate insult.. small note on the bottom of the website, telling damaged people to report their cases and complaints to FDA.. so much for taking the blame.. its a disgrace and it is an insult for all those people who have suffered and whose lives have been ruined by propecia.

At another thread, Bob asked if he should quit propecia, with all the news now coming to life. I've shared my own personal experience with another very similar and powerful drug called Accutane. I was on it for months on extremely high doses, with this drug beeing the only 'proven' and official medical solution for my skin condition. But had I known 7 years ago, what I know now - that this drug was so powerful to induce rapidly progressive baldness, suicidal depression and impact on wound healing, as side effects and who knows what else.. had I known it back then and realized what I am gambling with - I would have quit and look for whatever other alternative but safe route !

I mean well. Its not up to me to convince anyone, especially now when the truth is out there for all to see. I am deeply troubled my own baldness and Norwood 4-5, trust me it ain't easy ! Still, I feel blessed I haven't gone the propecia road, it is a health hazard and its not worth nor fair that one should put his health and life at risk for a chance of more hair. I will keep preaching against propecia, this drug will be off the market soon I believe, its not safe, its not proven, but don't give up.. do the research, think, there are natural alternatives. Just stay on the safe side, cause once You loose Your health, there might not be a way back, learn from those who have suffered on propecia and show them some more respect and compassion - they are human beeings, not a minority test subjects !

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    I couldn't agree more rupe. It is insulting that in every thread we express our thoughts backed either by personal experience or scientific studies - we're instantly marked as fear mongering people, and how we're misinformed,
    no.... we're simply saying that the risk of getting ANY side effects is very low and that is backed by MANY scientific studies.

If you got side effects, that mean you are part of that 2% minority. Why can't you understand that???

Quote Originally Posted by rupe View Post
    Post it once but not in every thread every day

Geez
    I am one of those that cannot take Propecia because the side effects bothered me - I was one of the 2 % - it sucks .

You don't see me telling people not to take it

We're all supposedly adults

We should all be able to make informed decisions ourselves

I don't care whether rupe shares his personal experience. That's part of what the forum is for.

I do care that StressedToTheBald is hijacking every active thread with a pop media article written about something that wasn't even news when it first came out over a year ago.