+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Jkel View Post
    People have to realize by now that these sites and list of good doctors exist for a very good reason. Why would anyone go to a doctor who is not well received on the internet?
    I have found that one of the main reasons patients go to "no name" HT doctors is because they are lured by the cheap prices being offered. No Name doctors usually advertise in their local newspapers with display ads and other local media with deals that are extremely cheap compared to the top docs.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Default Virginia Surgical Center

I had a 1500 graft session at VSC 13 months ago and am not all that pleased with the results. The new hair is still immature and wispy, and isn't very dense. There's not much of a difference in my overall appearance. They want to do a 2nd HT and I'm conflicted about giving them another chance. I did consult with a local doctor who is recommended by the IAHRS, and he said it was unclear if my first HT was poorly done or not -- he said it's possible there are other factors, such as my physiology, stress levels, or possible damage during the first few days post-op.

One thing that confuses me on these forums is the fact that the doctors reputation and expertise is used to gauge the likelihood of a good HT -- but isn't just the donor scar a good way to gauge the skill of the doctor, and the success of the HT is actually more a reflection of the staff? My understanding is that all HT docs come in to take a strip from the donor area and the staff actually makes the transplant. Is it just assumed that the most skilled/experienced staff are only with doctors approved by the IAHRS? I'm not insinuating that they're not -- I'm a rookie here -- I'm just trying to collect as much info as possible before taking next steps, and it seems like the doctors get all the credit or blame but never actually perform the transplant. Isn't it possible that a doctor just starting in HT's could have experienced and skilled staff?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by RHINO3 View Post
    I had a 1500 graft session at VSC 13 months ago and am not all that pleased with the results. The new hair is still immature and wispy, and isn't very dense. There's not much of a difference in my overall appearance. They want to do a 2nd HT and I'm conflicted about giving them another chance. I did consult with a local doctor who is recommended by the ISHRS, and he said it was unclear if my first HT was poorly done or not -- he said it's possible there are other factors, such as my physiology, stress levels, or possible damage during the first few days post-op.

One thing that confuses me on these forums is the fact that the doctors reputation and expertise is used to gauge the likelihood of a good HT -- but isn't just the donor scar a good way to gauge the skill of the doctor, and the success of the HT is actually more a reflection of the staff? My understanding is that all HT docs come in to take a strip from the donor area and the staff actually makes the transplant. Is it just assumed that the most skilled/experienced staff are only with doctors approved by the ISHRS? I'm not insinuating that they're not -- I'm a rookie here -- I'm just trying to collect as much info as possible before taking next steps, and it seems like the doctors get all the credit or blame but never actually perform the transplant. Isn't it possible that a doctor just starting in HT's could have experienced and skilled staff?

Thanks...
    Rhino,

You ask some very good questions and also bring up some very credible issues. My advice to you is to stay away from VSC simply because of some things that their patients have said in these forums. I live in the area and have not heard good things.

I cannot comment on their docs because I do not know them or their backgrounds. Nor do we know anything about their techs.

Yes it's true that the surgeon in most cases takes out the strip. Legally, the licensed physician is the only one who is allowed to do it. They must be competent in closing the area after strip excision so that the linear scar comes out as thin as possible.

In addition it is also the surgeon in most cases that creates the recipient incision sites that the grafts are placed in. This takes a fair amount of skill, talent, and expertise because of the acute angulations that are needed to create a natural appearing hairline.

But whenever I hear from patients who are complaining about lack of yield, poor regrowth, etc usually has to do with how the strip was dissected by the techs. If the techs are inexperienced, do not dissect using microscopes, alot of damage can be done to the grafts and they do not grow or a smaller percent of them grow.

So the doc may take the strip out and close the area sufficiently, but if the techs are new or substandard, you can still get a poor result.

The more incompentent clinic/docs usually will inform the patient that they simply need more work done which is the worst thing you could do, go back for more of the same.

You will note that the best docs have been around for a long time, belong to communities like this one, and do not have patient complaints.

Feel free to contact me for recommendations in getting your situation resolved.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks, Gillenator. I sent you a personal message with some questions -- hope to hear from you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RHINO3 View Post
    Thanks, Gillenator. I sent you a personal message with some questions -- hope to hear from you soon.
    Rhino3,

Have not received anything from you yet. Did you try sending me an e-mail?

Hope you are well.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Gillenator, I wrote on your profile page, but I'll send an email this time. Thanks.

Thumbs up Virginia Surgical Center True Experience

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Since I had my work done 9 months ago, I naturally wanted to see what others may be saying.

I'll try to be concise. I always do a LOT of research before spending money and this was no different. The Virginia Surgical Ctr. price was quite competitive, to the low end in fact. Now that I have had 2500 grafts in place for the better part of a year, I think they are way Under Priced.

They did an amazing job on the scar. I cant even feel it or see it with a mirror. Some kind of overlap thing where natural hair grows back through it. I was pretty skeptical when they described it, but it's true.

The hair at the grafts is about 80% grown in (my guess) and it looks great. What particularly surprised me was that no one...not even my mother, knew that I had the work done. I started routinely wearing a hat about a month before the work and for several weeks after during healing. After a few weeks, you couldn't tell that anything had been done. Now I get occassional comments like, Did you color your hair? or Is your hair growing back? (I credit my Laser Comb

Now that I see actual results, I am very pleased at how natural my hair looks. Nothing like some of the horror stories you see even with celebrities who are supposed to go to the biggest name doctors in the business.

Virginia Surgical Center (Virginia Beach, VA) completely outperformed my highest expectations. It's a shame that I'm not telling people that I had it done, because I would like to support this excellent business and professional staff. I hope that by sharing my experience here I can help others who may we considering hair transplantation. If I were to do it all over again, I would only choose Virginia Surgical!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. Since I had my work done 9 months ago, I naturally wanted to see what others may be saying.

I'll try to be concise. I always do a LOT of research before spending money and this was no different. The Virginia Surgical Ctr. price was quite competitive, to the low end in fact. Now that I have had 2500 grafts in place for the better part of a year, I think they are way Under Priced.

They did an amazing job on the scar. I cant even feel it or see it with a mirror. Some kind of overlap thing where natural hair grows back through it. I was pretty skeptical when they described it, but it's true.

The hair at the grafts is about 80% grown in (my guess) and it looks great. What particularly surprised me was that no one...not even my mother, knew that I had the work done. I started routinely wearing a hat about a month before the work and for several weeks after during healing. After a few weeks, you couldn't tell that anything had been done. Now I get occassional comments like, Did you color your hair? or Is your hair growing back? (I credit my Laser Comb

Now that I see actual results, I am very pleased at how natural my hair looks. Nothing like some of the horror stories you see even with celebrities who are supposed to go to the biggest name doctors in the business.

Virginia Surgical Center (Virginia Beach, VA) completely outperformed my highest expectations. It's a shame that I'm not telling people that I had it done, because I would like to support this excellent business and professional staff. I hope that by sharing my experience here I can help others who may we considering hair transplantation. If I were to do it all over again, I would only choose Virginia Surgical!
    Wow, if this isn’t spam I don’t know what is? I always get a big kick out of these phony testimonials. Real people don’t post like this buddy, it’s like a commercial for Vagina Surgical Center (Virgina Beach, VA) lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkel View Post
    Wow, if this isn’t spam I don’t know what is? I always get a big kick out of these phony testimonials. Real people don’t post like this buddy, it’s like a commercial for Vagina Surgical Center (Virgina Beach, VA) lol.
    Having spent my last 6 years as a copywriter (prior to acting), I can see why you might think that, Jkl. But you're wrong this time. I really like the place, got better results than I expected, and want to let other people who may be as conflicted as i was, know about them. Why is it only "not spam" if you dis a place, lol

I'm not going to blog about it, because I don't want to have it be common knowledge that I had this done. But, this ain't spam, nor is it paid for, nor am I in any way affiliated with VSC or any medical professional, service, or product.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
    Having spent my last 6 years as a copywriter (prior to acting), I can see why you might think that, Jkl. But you're wrong this time. I really like the place, got better results than I expected, and want to let other people who may be as conflicted as i was, know about them. Why is it only "not spam" if you dis a place, lol

I'm not going to blog about it, because I don't want to have it be common knowledge that I had this done. But, this ain't spam, nor is it paid for, nor am I in any way affiliated with VSC or any medical professional, service, or product.
    Well then, where are the pics to support your story like most credible testimonials do? It's odd that you suddenly appear 9 months after your procedure? It almost sounds like you just had it done and no pics?

You also just joined right this community right? People who have done reserach as long as you stated would have a much older join date for the amount of research done.

I tend to agree with Jkel's observations but not accusing you. Just my observations. And I have never seen a positive post about VSC anywhere online before.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net