+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

how come you cant edit threads on your mistakes on this site.?

Im just gonna try .5 every other day.
    It doesnt grow hair maybe it will still maintain what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by bob13 View Post
    how come you cant edit threads on your mistakes on this site.?
    You can, but there is a time limit.

StressedToTheBald, I repect your opinion on this one, but I disagree. The word permanent does not just mean that sides effect will not eventually go away.

Infact the word permanent means alot more than just that. It means that not only will the sides effects never go away on their own, but nothing can be done about it aswell. No medicine, or anysort of long term treatment will have any effect because its a permanent side effect and sufferers have to live with it for the rest of their lives.
    I don't think we know that for sure and I am extremely hopeful something will come up. Unless Propecia cuts off the actual organ, I would like to think and hope nothing is lost permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    Using the word 'persistent' would mean that ALL side effects with ALL people eventually go away.. That however is not the case, and thats why the word permanent is appropriate.

Inactive

People should know the risks and stakes if they wish to gamble with their health. Whats in stake may include temporary or permanent side effects, the fact that it doesn't happen to majority does not in any way diminish the tragedy that comes upon minority.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    "Side effects of finasteride include impotence (1.1% to 18.5%), abnormal ejaculation (7.2%), decreased ejaculatory volume (0.9% to 2.8%), abnormal sexual function (2.5%), gynecomastia (2.2%), erectile dysfunction (1.3%), ejaculation disorder (1.2%) and testicular pain. According to the product package insert, resolution occurred in men who discontinued therapy with finasteride due to these side effects and in most men who continued therapy. The PPI also states that patients have reported persisting erectile dysfunction despite discontinuing the drug. In December 2010, Merck added depression as a side effect of finasteride.[6]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finaste...dverse_effects
    Those side effect rates are for people who take 5 mg of finasteride daily, not 1 or 1.25 mg.
    The rates for people taking 1-1.25 mg daily are extremely low.

The claims about permanent side effects aren't confirmed by scientific study.

Also, the poster who said finasteride can't lead to hair regrowth is incorrect, as I have experienced regrowth on the drug. So have others.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Those side effect rates are for people who take 5 mg of finasteride daily, not 1 or 1.25 mg.
    The rates for people taking 1-1.25 mg daily are extremely low.

The claims about permanent side effects aren't confirmed by scientific study.

Also, the poster who said finasteride can't lead to hair regrowth is incorrect, as I have experienced regrowth on the drug. So have others.
    I said it maintains hair to a certain extent.
    I doubt but a few experience any regrowth except for a few fine hairs.
    Ive taken it for 6 years. I ought to know.
    Maintain it yes, regrowth doubtful. Still the effects after time stop working.
    Propecia is no miracle drug.

I have yet to see anyone's meaningful growth I truly believe.

In areas that are completely bald, it won't regrow hair, but in other areas it can. This is especially true if you use minoxidil as well.
    It's not a miracle drug, but it was the first treatment to effectively prevent genetic hair loss in men, which made it a major jump forward. Before finasteride, there was minoxidil. That's it. The only other options were to wear a hair system or to get a transplant (which would normally yield terrible results until the last 10-15 years or so).
    Until the next generation of treatments is available, this drug (or dutasteride, which works in a very similar fashion) is basically the one chance a balding man has of keeping and improving his hair. Supporting treatments like minox and ketoconazole can help, but on their own they won't stop the balding process.
    Yes it sucks that there isn't something better out. It sucks that the drug loses effectiveness eventually. But if it takes 8 or 10 years for something like hair multiplication to come out, and you can survive those years a NW2-3 instead of a NW5-7, then why not? That can mean a major difference in quality of life.

Edit: Of course, if you have aching testicles and it's from the drug, I can understand wanting to quit. I would seriously consider talking to a doctor about it if you haven't yet.
    Last edited by 25 going on 65; 02-12-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Acknowledgement of other poster's concerns

[QUOTE=
    Edit: Of course, if you have aching testicles and it's from the drug, I can understand wanting to quit. I would seriously consider talking to a doctor about it if you haven't yet.[/QUOTE]

It aches because I quit for 6 months and restarted. The same thing happened
    when I started it and sometimes along the way.
    The Aches is subsiding.
    Koburn said he had it too.

It aches because I quit for 6 months and restarted. The same thing happened
    when I started it and sometimes along the way.
    The Aches is subsiding.
    Koburn said he had it too.
    I had occasional nut aches throught out my first 2 months. It would happen for about 2 hours around 2-4 times a week. Very annoying, didn't go away all at once, the frequency kept decreasing, and by the 3rd month were completely gone.

Inactive

I said it maintains hair to a certain extent.
    I doubt but a few experience any regrowth except for a few fine hairs.
    Ive taken it for 6 years. I ought to know.
    Maintain it yes, regrowth doubtful. Still the effects after time stop working.
    Propecia is no miracle drug.

I have yet to see anyone's meaningful growth I truly believe.
    What else need to be said.. And those finasteride promoters here claim so loudly how its 'proven' and it 'will work' and its 'safe'... With all the serious effects and side effects, and doubtful regrowth.. one more experience says that its simply not worth it.