+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stopped Using Rogaine

I have had four transplants between 2000 and 2008 and had been using Rogaine 5 percent since 1999. I have only been using it in the frontal area as that is where my hair has always been thin and week. After my last HT in 08, I now have a nice strong hairline but continued to use Rogaine. I finally decided to stop using it around x-mas time and it has now been about six weeks. I think I might have lost some hair but very minimal. Is it safe to say that after stopping Rogaine for 6 weeks and losing little to no hair that the Rogaine is not working for me. I'm thinking about starting up again as i'm afraid I still may lose a lot more hair. I'm also afraid to keep using this if it's not doing any good. Are there any members who have used Rogaine long-term and than stopped?

thanks,

Richard

It can take several months for the hair that Rogaine was maintaining to fall out. If you are thinking about starting back up again, you may only need to use it once per day as a maintenance dose rather than twice per day.

Talking Stop it with the Rogaine

Why are you using the Rogaine when you can use the generic for less than 1/2 the price? I believe Rogaine is the reason that 15% is now off the market.

I personally would continue with 5% minox, but twice daily...the once daily probably isnt doing much. Either go in all the way, or stop completely and see where you are after about 6 months.

Thanks for the reply. The reason i'm using the brand is because the foam is easier to apply. The problem is I need it only on my hairline and I have a difficult time getting my scalp covered without drenching my hair in the stuff. This is the reason I decided to use it only one time per day as my hair is a mess after application. If i had a simple issue like a bald spot on my crown,
    Rogaine would be a piece of cake to use. But trying to get good scalp coverage where you already have a decent about of hair is very difficult.

ps.......I did notice that they took the higher strength of the market. But you can go to medicalwellnesscenter.com and they will give you a stronger version but they charge you for a dr. consultation. They have been good to me and have been calling avodart into my local pharmacy for about 5 years now for a 49.95 on-line consult. They never specified that it is for hairless so my insurance company is picking up the cost of the med.

Quote Originally Posted by bryceverest View Post
    I believe Rogaine is the reason that 15% is now off the market.
    The reason the 15% formulas were taken off the market is because of the potential health risks associated with over dosing Minoxidil. There are also potential health risks associated with the additional ingredients many of those shady suppliers were adding to it.

The FDA's primary job is to stop people from selling products to the public that pose health risks. This was a example of the FDA doing it's job.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    The reason the 15% formulas were taken off the market is because of the potential health risks associated with over dosing Minoxidil. There are also potential health risks associated with the additional ingredients many of those shady suppliers were adding to it.

The FDA's primary job is to stop people from selling products to the public that pose health risks. This was a example of the FDA doing it's job.
    The problem with this view is that in giving 'their reasons' for closing down Dr Lee, for instance, the FDA saw to it that Dr Lee listed this same formulaic catch-all 'potential health risks' for his entire range of products. This included minox 5% and his niz-like products.

By the same token, 5% minox and fin have 'potential health risks'.

In the UK, for decades, 1% hydrocortisone cream, for instance, could not be sold without prescription. Now, it can be. Similarly 2% niz cannot be sold without prescription; 1% niz can be - again, because of 'potential health risks'.

For my money, cigarettes carry far more of a 'potential health risk'.

Quote Originally Posted by *******user View Post
    The problem with this view is that in giving 'their reasons' for closing down Dr Lee, for instance, the FDA saw to it that Dr Lee listed this same formulaic catch-all 'potential health risks' for his entire range of products. This included minox 5% and his niz-like products.

By the same token, 5% minox and fin have 'potential health risks'.

In the UK, for decades, 1% hydrocortisone cream, for instance, could not be sold without prescription. Now, it can be. Similarly 2% niz cannot be sold without prescription; 1% niz can be - again, because of 'potential health risks'.

For my money, cigarettes carry far more of a 'potential health risk'.
    listen to tracy c, high concentration can cause serious side effects not for most people but for a few. ex: heart problems like me.

The FDA's primary job is to stop people from selling products to the public that pose health risks. This was a example of the FDA doing it's job.[/QUOTE]

As I understand it, the FDA sees itself as protecting the citizens of the USA. The rest of the world may think differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    listen to tracy c, high concentration can cause serious side effects not for most people but for a few. ex: heart problems like me.
    Indeed, as I understand it, NO minox should be used by anyone with a 'heart condition'.

On the 'extra strength minoxidil', this was Dr Lee's view:

SIDE EFFECTS AND CONTRAINDICATIONS

Q. What is the margin of safety from having systemic effects due to minoxidil when dosing with *******15 daily?

Minoxidil requires a serum concentration of 20 ng/mL to have any hemodynamic or other systemic effect in the human body. Allowing for the average 1.4% absorption (range 0.3 - 4.5%) of minoxidil from the topical application of 1 mL of *******15,

there will be a serum concentration of minoxidil of ~4 ng / mL of minoxidil in the serum. So, there is an estimated 5-fold safety margin from any systemic effects of minoxidil due to the use of *******15, when it is used once/day. For optimal results, it is suggested that topical minoxidil be applied twice/day. One dose should be 1mL *******15 and the second dose, at least 8 hours apart, should be 1mL of the lower concentration ******* 5% or 5% Minoxidil. If the second daily application is 5% Minoxidil, using it with topical spironolactone will inhibit the DHT and stimulate hair growth where they are applied.

Our incidence of having any systemic side effects with the ******* 12.5% Lotion is less than 1 patient per 1500.

I'm not about to idealise Dr Lee. He was in business. But, I do like to see evidence and arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by DrHerr View Post
    Yes, stop using Rogaine. There is only one stable & long term product on the market right now: Hair growth Remedy
    As a medical professional it is the only product I would recommend these days!

Medical professional?