+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Coping with Hair Loss in Every Day Life

Sometimes it is hard not to become markedly depressed about hair loss.

I would like to put forth the idea of creating a new subforum. Something along the lines of 'Coping and Acceptance' or 'Coping with Hair Loss in Every Day Life'.

The new subforum would be a place of solace; of comfort and consolation. People could vent, others could choose to listen and respond, give input.

There is a whole lot of compassion on this forum, in my eyes such a subforum would be a welcome addition.

(i.e. Bald Truth Talk - Hair Loss, Hair Transplant and Hair Restoration Community > Men's Hair Loss > Coping and Acceptance)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I think its a good idea.

I'm "new" to my thinning. Its so funny. It took one picture this past summer that was taken looking at me from the left side that exposed, to me, the assymetrical loss going on. I'm sure there was an acceleration that occured to this past Fall but I didn't exactly track it with photos.

Since then I've gone back through photos and realize it started sometime in 2009. I was in Jamaica in Sept 2008 and there was maybe a teensy bit of thinning on the top back of my head, but my hair was also wet, in the pool. Every other photo from that trip my hair is thick. Unfortunately my "right side" is my "good side" so majority of photos of me are taken at that angle, and not from a top down...so all of the photos my hair looks fine from your typical family gathering photo. Plus as I've said in other threads, I've always kept it short.

But a couple specific photos from June 2009, looking at them now knowing what to look for, you can see it happening.

Also, I'm disappointed my barber never said anything specifically about it (or any family/friends for that matter...) I didn't really have a relationship with the barber per se. It was a group of 4 people in a tiny little barbershop and I never cared who did my hair, I didn't get it styled or anything. But again, knowing now that my hair was thinning, I can recall many times being asked "little longer on the top to comb" and always going sure...it never dawning on me why the question was being asked, just figuring that it was a courtesy type question or something.

So I switched to a stylist. I know its going to be more expensive, but I also made it clear why I am going to them - I want my hair to look as good as it can as it progresses, however it will. At some point I will likely make the decision to get it cut ultra short and the stylist will no longer be terribly necessary. But right now unless you're on top of me, you can't really tell unless you're looking at me directly from the left and I'm not looking at you and then you still gotta be close enough to make it out.

I have my bad days and good days. I had a lot of bad days for a couple months after 'realization' and I have less of them now, but it gets to me every so often. Frankly I don't care that I'm going to lose X% of my hair - what I care about is looking dumb while its happening. The asymetrical crap going on is mainly the reason.

I like the idea. Hair loss is affecting things I do on a daily basis now. I can't get my hair wet - so no swimming, and I avoid going out in rain without a hat/umbrella/hood. If my hair loses its style then I feel extremely vulnerable and paranoid that my hair loss is evident. I like to run, but now it must be with a hat because if I get my hair sweaty it looks bad.

Let's have somewhere to discuss these daily nightmares, with perhaps tips on how to cope with such situations and support where needed.

yeah mate, i think its a fantastic idea. it has also changed my life, i refused an outing to the beach with some friends as i dont want my hair wet when just 8 weeks ago i was going to the beach 5 times a week on my holidays. its srsly f*****. and when you have a bad hair day, like i did today and eysteray, it is terrible. feel worthless and feel like im expiring.

Default Coping with Hair Loss

Hi I agree.. I am a female and boy has HL really affected my life. I started with thinning over the years but now I have severe HL. I am now a hair wearer. It has been very hard especially being a female because It is not as accepted. Im not saying that as a male it is easier to deal with, but men can shave their head and get away with it. HL has made me a stronger person, but everyday I have to make sure I fight and not let it take over. It is not easy, but I try to remember that I am a healthy, beautiful person who has many things to be thankful for

Glad you all feel similarly. This condition is indeed life-changing. Hair, in most cases, is a big part of who we are as a person. It is intrinsically part of our identity for the better part of our youth. Losing our hair can be seriously detrimental to our lives in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynx24 View Post
    Hi I agree.. I am a female and boy has HL really affected my life. I started with thinning over the years but now I have severe HL. I am now a hair wearer. It has been very hard especially being a female because It is not as accepted. Im not saying that as a male it is easier to deal with, but men can shave their head and get away with it. HL has made me a stronger person, but everyday I have to make sure I fight and not let it take over. It is not easy, but I try to remember that I am a healthy, beautiful person who has many things to be thankful for
    Hair loss is never easy, no matter your gender. This is a tough battle, but all we can do is stay optimistic. Never should we let this affliction dictate how we live our lives. You are indeed beautiful, I'm glad you realize this. We all have many things to be thankful for.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    I like the idea. Hair loss is affecting things I do on a daily basis now. I can't get my hair wet - so no swimming, and I avoid going out in rain without a hat/umbrella/hood. If my hair loses its style then I feel extremely vulnerable and paranoid that my hair loss is evident. I like to run, but now it must be with a hat because if I get my hair sweaty it looks bad.

Let's have somewhere to discuss these daily nightmares, with perhaps tips on how to cope with such situations and support where needed.
    Glad you support the idea. And I feel you man. Hair loss has literally become a daily struggle for me. Every time I see myself in a mirror or a window reflection I'm reminded of this affliction. My confidence, gone. Vulnerable and paranoid are very accurate words to describe what I've been feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    I think its a good idea.

I'm "new" to my thinning. Its so funny. It took one picture this past summer that was taken looking at me from the left side that exposed, to me, the assymetrical loss going on. I'm sure there was an acceleration that occured to this past Fall but I didn't exactly track it with photos.

I have my bad days and good days. I had a lot of bad days for a couple months after 'realization' and I have less of them now, but it gets to me every so often. Frankly I don't care that I'm going to lose X% of my hair - what I care about is looking dumb while its happening. The asymetrical crap going on is mainly the reason.
    The rate at which hair loss can progress surprises me sometimes as well. Looking back at old facebook photos is terrible man, just terrible. Not the least bit helpful (obviously), but I try to stay off facebook most of the time anyway. Interesting that you're not necessarily worried about losing hair in general, but the issue of asymmetry is more bothersome for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rupe View Post
    yeah mate, i think its a fantastic idea. it has also changed my life, i refused an outing to the beach with some friends as i dont want my hair wet when just 8 weeks ago i was going to the beach 5 times a week on my holidays. its srsly f*****. and when you have a bad hair day, like i did today and eysteray, it is terrible. feel worthless and feel like im expiring.
    Appreciate the input, rupe. Thanks for the support. You're not alone with what you're feeling. Hair loss is ****ed up for sure.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Glad you all feel similarly. This condition is indeed life-changing. Hair, in most cases, is a big part of who we are as a person. It is intrinsically part of our identity for the better part of our youth. Losing our hair can be seriously detrimental to our lives in so many ways.

Hair loss is never easy, no matter your gender. This is a tough battle, but all we can do is stay optimistic. Never should we let this affliction dictate how we live our lives. You are indeed beautiful, I'm glad you realize this. We all have many things to be thankful for.

Glad you support the idea. And I feel you man. Hair loss has literally become a daily struggle for me. Every time I see myself in a mirror or a window reflection I'm reminded of this affliction. My confidence, gone. Vulnerable and paranoid are very accurate words to describe what I've been feeling.

The rate at which hair loss can progress surprises me sometimes as well. Looking back at old facebook photos is terrible man, just terrible. Not the least bit helpful (obviously), but I try to stay off facebook most of the time anyway. Interesting that you're not necessarily worried about losing hair in general, but the issue of asymmetry is more bothersome for you.

Appreciate the input, rupe. Thanks for the support. You're not alone with what you're feeling. Hair loss is ****ed up for sure.
    Good call definitely need this sub forum.

What to do? I am feeling so depressed about this About 4 weeks after stopping propecia (around 2.5 months ago), my hair has been shedding intensely and it has not stopped or slowed. It is like its progressing so fast, now i have to use toppik or you can see my scalp, and you can see my scalp anyway as toppik is not perfect. This morning I woke up and laid in bed for over an hour debating about whether to go to get a hair cut and get it cut short... which I ended up deciding to do but couldn't find anything on a Sunday. Its like cutting it short means I have accepted my hair is going, and I have no idea what it is going to look like short. Might it look even worse?! They say you shouldn't have long hair when thinning as the long hairs stick together and make it look thinner. Just over a month on minoxidil, nizoral and saw palmetto and now it has been 3 days on revivogen. Every time I shampoo my hair tens of hairs come out i will no longer use nizoral.

I know of someone who I hung out with once recently who went bald (he is friend of friend). We were going out, and he went in a seperate car, and the others were bitching about him, saying he said he had something called 'alopecia' and they told him to just to shave his head cos it will look better. Just went through his facebook photos and feel so sorry for him. I don't want this to be me next I am trying everythign I can to stop it, I tried propeca but this is no longer an option. I wish there were others around with same thing, but you never see a young guy balding in the streets

...saying he said he had something called 'alopecia' and...
    All types of hair loss are called alopecia. Male and female pattern baldness, hereditary hair loss, is called "androgenetic alopecia".

...I don't want this to be me next I am trying everythign I can to stop it.
    You are wasting your time, money and hair on things that are not going to help you and avoiding the very things that are most able to help you. This problem obviously does not bother you enough to take treating it seriously. Sure we all wish there were more options. We all wish there were better options - but at this time there aren't any better options. The current proven treatments work for most people who use them and most people who use them do not experience side effects. Use them or don't use them. It is entirely up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    You are wasting your time, money and hair on things that are not going to help you and avoiding the very things that are most able to help you. This problem obviously does not bother you enough to take treating it seriously. Sure we all wish there were more options. We all wish there were better options - but at this time there aren't any better options. The current proven treatments work for most people who use them and most people who use them do not experience side effects. Use them or don't use them. It is entirely up to do.
    What are you taklign about saying the problem does not bother me enough to take treating it seriously? What makes you say that?