+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Got a haircut yesterday.

Felt good for a little while, but the hair loss is still noticeable. Really hits my confidence. This, mostly when I'm going out with friends or being around other people. Turning into a sort of social anxiety in some instances.
    Try not looking at yourself in the mirror. Out of sight out of mind.

Of course as a guy that can be tough when you have to shave

Just wrote a reply. A long one, rather decent. About 5 paragraphs about how I'm currently feeling. Pushed the wrong button on my keyboard somehow, lost it.

Somehow I feel it doesn't matter anyway. It was more just my thoughts, realizing how truly inhibited I am by this affliction. Then some what ifs, what if I were truly uninhibited? Imagining a scenario where I could maybe care less about hair loss.

Feels like I'm falling short of my potential. Losing sight of who I am as a person sometimes. Held back. This all sounds very dismal. Fact is, it is. I apologize.

I encourage you all to vent. However you're feeling currently. Good; bad; optimistic; ****ing pissed; apathetic; abysmal; high; low. Doesn't matter. Writing helps.

Writing thoughts and feelings down is cathartic - so is talking to someone and just letting it spill. It allows you to release emotions on your terms.

About what clandestine said regarding losing out on potential. This is exactly how I feel. If my head was not always filled with worries about my hair and if hairloss was not inhibiting me from doing things I would be doing otherwise, it seems I could be accomplishing so much more. Before I began losing my hair I was able to be good at anything I put my mind to, now it seems that a portion of my brain function is constantly spent worrying and that losisng my hair makes me feel like an overall failure.

I'm finding myself having second thoughts if friends ask me out somewhere. If I don't fix this I fear I will become a hairless hermit!

Also tired of the wind recently. I didn't notice until recently how windy my city is. You can get an umbrella for rain, but with wind you can do nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Also tired of the wind recently. I didn't notice until recently how windy my city is. You can get an umbrella for rain, but with wind you can do nothing!!!
    Best defense against wind and rain is to just keep it short such that any minor "swish" can be easily hand fixed.

I look best with my hair grown out a bit or I'd definitely have it shorter.

I just realised that straightening my hair makes it much more susceptible to wind, so may stop doing that.... at least until after my ht.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    I look best with my hair grown out a bit or I'd definitely have it shorter.

I just realised that straightening my hair makes it much more susceptible to wind, so may stop doing that.... at least until after my ht.
    Interesting, you've decided to go the route of HT? Does this not however require continual use of propecia post-op?

Hows your endeavour to experiment with lower dosages going, chrisis?

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Interesting, you've decided to go the route of HT? Does this not however require continual use of propecia post-op?

Hows your endeavour to experiment with lower dosages going, chrisis?
    I'm not touching finasteride again until I'm happy that my sides are totally gone. I think things are getting better, so maybe I'll start on 0.25mg in a few weeks.

If I can't tolerate finasteride, I'll just have to use minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo and some of the other supplements outside of the big 3, e.g. zinc, maybe saw palmetto (if I don't get sides).

I'm also keeping an eye on Replicel and other companies. If they come out with something promising, then it's possible any future hairloss could be remedied at a cellular level. It's gonna take a few years to come to market, so I doubt I'll be waiting that long even if they get 100% success!

So long as I get my hairline sorted, I feel relatively confident given, a) my comparatively minor balding pattern at age 28, and b) advances in therapies, that I will be ok

Great attitude, stay hopeful mate.Hope your sides subside (no pun intended).

Saw palmetto might be an option. I've contemplated using it myself. Along with beta sitosterol, or whatever it was STTB was pushing. Problem is I've had sexual sides on SSRI's in the past, and am skeptical to use anything that might have negative effects in that respect. Especially not propecia, regardless of potential risk.

I've been trying out nanogen fibres for the last little while. I've been generally happy with them, aside from the fact they don't necessarily work the best on the hairline or where my temples are slick bald.

Try em out maybe, if you're up for it. Hey, if women are allowed makeup, we should be allowed concealers too!