+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rupe View Post
    Rogaine is a proven treatment. I believe I have already mentioned that I tried finasteride but had to stop due to side effects or maybe you missed that part?
    I didn't miss that. I believe you are probably a victim of fear mongering. Fear mongering is causing a lot of damage for those coping with hair loss. Living with hair loss is tuff enough without all the fear mongering that is going on right now. Shills from all those bogus hair loss products on the market are capitalizing on it. They are taking advantage of your emotional state and doing everything they can to make sure you stay afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    don't act like you care about the topic at hand when all you've really come here to do is propagate your opinions.
    You are completely and totally out of line. I do care. More than you realize.

A sub-forum of that kind might be a good idea. Even after successfully treating my hair loss for more than a year, I still find myself mentally struggling with it. There are still days when I feel like I can't even leave my home.

I think depression from hair loss is very understandable and natural, especially for those in their teens, 20's and 30's. There isn't really any other "benign" condition that so radically, rapidly changes the image of a young adult. It's a bit like losing most of your teeth in 5 years, or seeing your nose or ears double (or halve) in size. It's just this sudden and very visible transformation that isn't even lifestyle-related.. just bad luck in the genetic lottery.

And just to do my part in hijacking the thread further (sorry OP): I understand Tracy's frustration with fear mongering on this forum. Someone WILL visit this forum who could, with treatment, be a solid NW2 in 8-10 years from now - but instead will be a NW5 or 6 because they think they'll be permanently impotent otherwise (or some other nonsense like that).
    Knowing first-hand how this condition affects our thoughts and emotions, I truly feel sorry for whoever that is. Tracy does too. That's why she hammers on these points; if she manages to save even one person's future, it's worth it.

I think a sub forum that sticks solely to the emotional issues related to hair loss is an excellent idea! I’m sure if enough of us ask for it the administrators of this site will eventually add one. Let’s please stay on topic so this thread can be recognized by the admins of the forum.

Feeling rather introverted lately. Continually self conscious in some respects. Worried about appearance in many social situations, anxiety kicks in pretty frequently.

Hm, been feeling more introverted since I've gone off to uni. Can't seem to shake negative thought patterns, though I can identify them.

How are you guys making out?

Feeling rather introverted lately. Continually self conscious in some respects. Worried about appearance in many social situations, anxiety kicks in pretty frequently.

Hm, been feeling more introverted since I've gone off to uni. Can't seem to shake negative thought patterns, though I can identify them.

man im same as you only difference that I'm still in College and ITS HELL to go to college for me but its my last semester !!! so everyone will probably remember me as the hairy guy if I can keep up with the hats and hiding as much as possible...good thing it's winter.

Another thing: i take the train at late night so it's less crowded thats how self concious I am.

I think we should sugest this idea of a sub forum in the bald truth show on sunday, its a great idea. However I think it would have like 1000 posts a day, idk if that could be bad.

If I'm alone, I think about my hair and strangely, I think about what others think even though there are no others - except the cats LOL. And that constant thinking about it leads to the negative thoughts.

I've found myself feeling better when I'm around people and simply stop thinking about my hair and think about the situation and the other people. Later I realize that I interacted with this person as myself and that was who was reacted to. Not my hair.

My advice to you would be to get the hell out of the dorm room. Spend time around people and interact with them. Especially at a university there has to be a social group you can join with like minded people about some hobby that you can talk about and enjoy an activity together.

Whats helped me since my "realization" back in October is going to a local indoor climbing gym and meeting some folks in classes. The people there simply do not care and if they do or even notice, they do not express it in any way which is basically exactly the same. I suppose it helps there is a good handful of regulars that have completed shaved it off, or have super short hair, so scalp isn't uncommon.

Its also been helpful that a couple of the friends I've met are good looking girls who climb with me, talk with me and laugh with me. That kind of interaction is a positive and uplifting.

Repeat to yourself when you're feeling down:
    Those That Matter Do Not Mind and Those That Mind Do Not Matter

Can't seem to shake negative thought patterns, though I can identify them.

It certainly is not easy. One of the tricks I've learned is to sit down and make a list of all the things that make me happy. More often than not doing this has a snowball effect because each thing I write down reminds me of something else that makes me happy.

Thanks for the replies everyone, as well as the support.

@Maradona; I think suggesting it on the bald truth talk to Spencer is a great idea. Try to stay strong my man.

@NotBelievingIt; Entirely true. Those that truly matter in life, won't mind. And those that do, don't matter. I think it's great you've taken up an interest in climbing. I've been a couple times myself, very fun.

"Later I realize that I interacted with this person as myself and that was who was reacted to. Not my hair."
    This is a great statement man, very true indeed.

And yes, I probably need to get out of my dorm room more often. Unfortunately I've had an ear injury that prevents me from really going out at night/ listening to music (i.e. going downtown). Sorta been rough.

I realize the steps I need to take towards acceptance, non-resistance. Nonetheless, I often feel along in this struggle among my age group.

Gotta be strong though, all we can do is try to be our best!

@Tracy C; Great tip Tracy. Reality is your focus, perception. We must remain grateful for that which we have in life. Wanted to apologize as well for my previous post in this thread towards you, I was frustrated at the time.

Also, I'd like to share this with you all.

http://8tracks.com/whatsyourname/i-w...ess-out-of-you

First couple songs are a great listen, rather inspirational. Brought my mood up.

Got a haircut yesterday.

Felt good for a little while, but the hair loss is still noticeable. Really hits my confidence. This, mostly when I'm going out with friends or being around other people. Turning into a sort of social anxiety in some instances.