+ Reply to Thread

Default Adipocyte Precursor Cells Stimulate Hair Growth

In the article that I am linking below, it says that adipocyte precursor cells could be responsible for hair growth. It also says that these cells produce platelets derived growth factors, or PDGF's, which can stimulate hair growth. PDGF's are found in PRP. So therefore, if these adipocyte precursor cells were extracted from a person's fat and then reinjected into a person's scalp (possibly along with a PRP treatment), then hair growth could possibly be stimulated. There are 2 great things about this method (other than that it could stimulate hair growth): 1. It is entirely autologous so it would not require extensive clinical trials. 2. No permanent scarring would occur, even if this method didn't work. I really wish some doctors would try something like this because it sounds really promising.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-09-...ells-hair.html

Default Hope so

But seriously in so many years nothing's been better than propecia and minoxidil What hope should we have

Quote Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
    But seriously in so many years nothing's been better than propecia and minoxidil What hope should we have
    It is a matter of understanding cellular genetics as well as people focusing on what amounts to frankly far more important topics like cancer. I'd rather lose every bit of hair on my body and be immune to cancer then keep my hair and get even a benign skin lesion from the sun.

Think of it like any technology.

Computers existed in the 40s. They were used to calculate trajectories of projectiles. But they were slow, huge and cumbersome.

But as time went on, technology improved, things decreased in size, the rapidity of new ideas and mechanisms improved.

If you told me 15 years ago my phone would be more powerful then every single computer, combined, that flew every mission into Space - could watch "High Definition" TV, download the Encylopedia from Australia, talk to me and convert my voice to text, have a gyroscope and connect to military grade GPS I'd laugh in your face.

Minoxidil came out in the early/mid 80's right? There was nothing serious about hair loss prior - there just wasn't. The toupee was it.

But we've gotten to a point where we are working with the human body, the most powerful non-mechanical device that man kind has laid its hands on. We are only now beginning to understand how "smart" cancer is, how our vision can be corrected flawlessly.

Its only been in the last few years science has understood hair cycles. Oh we've always known it grows and falls out normally for everyone, but the actual science and genetics behind it?

We shouldn't be less hopeful because of the lack of progress on hair 'therapy' - we should be extremely excited at the rapidity in the last few years of scientific studies on the subject. Serendipity lead to RepliCel in the first place. It lead to Minoxidil and Finasteride as well - but now we have the awesome power of science doing something extremely specific about hair. Min and Fin were never specific, in fact, the side effect of hair growth/loss prevention were just that. Side effects.

The evolution and revolution of science and its application to genetics will lead to exponential increases in our knowledge and ability to "fix" problems that were unfixable even a few scant years ago.

Think of your hardened standby great Nokia phone from 2004 and how two very short years later, the iPhone revolutionized how we perceive the portable phone.

Cheer up mate.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    It is a matter of understanding cellular genetics as well as people focusing on what amounts to frankly far more important topics like cancer. I'd rather lose every bit of hair on my body and be immune to cancer then keep my hair and get even a benign skin lesion from the sun.
    To be fair, there is A LOT more you can do to prevent cancer unlike baldness...

Wonderful post NotBelievingIt. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    To be fair, there is A LOT more you can do to prevent cancer unlike baldness...
    Quite true.

But as I alluded to - whats more important? Living without hair or dying with hair?

You aren't going to see yourself at your funeral, and nobody is going to comment at your open casket visitation that "he should have wore a toupee he looks terrible" LOL

Here is a website that does something similar: http://www.the-stem-cell-center.com/ Not sure how legit they are.

Hey Montrose, I actually contacted that stem cell center last spring and had extensive conversations with them about their hair loss treatment, except I was a bit skeptical of them, considering that they're run by a naturopath and not a regular doctor, amongst other things.
    With regards to the other points in this discussion: Of course I believe that cancer deserves precedence over hair loss when it comes to research. But that doesn't mean that hair loss should not be researched more and eradicated as quickly as possible. Yet one can confidently say that cancer IS being thoroughly researched and taken very seriously. Yet baldness is a disease too and literally no one (outside of one handful of companies worldwide) is doing anything to combat it. There is really no excuse at to why doctors cannot perform some of these autologous stem cell therapies, like with adipose stem cells to possibly regrow hair. PRP is kind of a similar therapy in that it uses stem cells to attempt to regrow hair. Although it doesn't currently work that well, it hasn't even come close to giving anyone cancer. Lastly, I'll bring up an interesting thing. I remember reading a post on this message board not too long ago about some one who suffered from testicular cancer, I believe. And he said that despite all of the trials and trivails of dealing with testicular cancer, nothing compared to the despair that he felt when he lost his hair. The devastation and misery of hair loss is very real, my friends. And it is downright inexcusable that we're only currently given such very marginal options to deal with hair loss. That's why I post all of these new innovations that could be used to combat hair loss and regrow hair, because I sure as hell do not believe in the limited options that are out there right now.

DH, are there any any other companies or doctors that provide this or a similar treatment in the US besides Dr.Hitzig and his acell/prp. I would give it a try if it weren't for that ridiculous $7600 price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by montrose View Post
    DH, are there any any other companies or doctors that provide this or a similar treatment in the US besides Dr.Hitzig and his acell/prp. I would give it a try if it weren't for that ridiculous $7600 price tag.
    I really feel that acell/prp does not work

its one of those things they claim "works on some, but not others" aka we'll never know if it "worked" or just by chance some guy got a good transplant/minox/propecia result