• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sausage
    • Jan 2012

FUE Transplant

Is the possible:

2500 FUE over 2 days then.....

in 6-12 months time another 2500 FUE over 2 days ???

In terms of graft numbers is this ok for FUE?
  • Spex
    Dr Representative
    • Nov 2008

It ALL very much depends on the individuals physiology and their eligibility for FUE.

Everyone is so very different and not everyone is an eligible candidate foe FUE.

Every individual also has different donor supplies which determine the number of grafts available to them by both strip and FUE.

FUE is not magic - its surgery. You can not just keep going in time after time after time.

FUE is a great surgery in the right hands on the RIGHT patient however its no substitute for strip in my honest opinion especially if your requirements are large. FUE lends itself more appropriately and with much greater success to small sessions.

EVERYONE i speak to initially wants FUE. What you need to understand is FUE is a very difficult procedure to perform and there is a reason the best FUE clinics only perform small sessions of approx 1000 grafts in a session in order to increase the chances of success.

I have met with many guys from different clinics over the last 10 years who went the FUE route as they didnt want to compromise and have a strip scar. On reflection due to FUE being somewhat unpredictable regardless of the experience of the surgeon wish they had understood better that FUE can and the FACT is does produce lower yield and on reflection based on their actual requirements and goal gone strip, or not at all.

No clinic has 100% success rate with FUE - FACT - If they tell you that then they are flat out liars in my opinion as i have seen personally unsuccessful FUE surgeries from a handful of different reputable clinics. Was it their fault.. knowing FUE and how unpredictable is it , no.

Strip is a MUCH better way to utilise YOUR donor area much more efficiently and effectively LONG TERM in my opinion. FUE is only suitable for small sessions up to around 1000 grafts. Strip enables you to use your donor supply safely and enables you to achieve more grafts in one session whilst managing it effectively for further sessions if needed.. Once you have used up the strip donor sufficiently THEN its a better idea to go in via FUE to tap in to further donor supply. FUE is not magic you will soon run out of it as a supply of donor hair.

Think of it like a grid of marbels. Removing marbels at random from all over (FUE) compared to a line through the middle (strip) which then you close up leaving the grid uni from as it was. Much more efficient way to UTILISE your LIMITED donor supply.

This is only MY opinion, take it on board or ignore, its up to you.

Just trying to give you an insight based on my experience. Dont rush in , stabilise your loss and research, research , research.

If your intensions are to get FUE and then shave all your hair down then let me save you a fortunate in money and countless years in time - just shave it all off now.

Best
    SPEX
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Comment

• sausage
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Spex
      It ALL very much depends on the individuals physiology and their eligibility for FUE.

Everyone is so very different and not everyone is an eligible candidate foe FUE.

Every individual also has different donor supplies which determine the number of grafts available to them by both strip and FUE.

FUE is not magic - its surgery. You can not just keep going in time after time after time.

FUE is a great surgery in the right hands on the RIGHT patient however its no substitute for strip in my honest opinion especially if your requirements are large. FUE lends itself more appropriately and with much greater success to small sessions.

EVERYONE i speak to initially wants FUE. What you need to understand is FUE is a very difficult procedure to perform and there is a reason the best FUE clinics only perform small sessions of approx 1000 grafts in a session in order to increase the chances of success.
      I don't mean to be rude, but I have heard this many many times, I understand the differences between FUE and FUT.

I understand people are different but in general would most people be able to have this amount of grafts via FUE?

I have met with many guys from different clinics over the last 10 years who went the FUE route as they didnt want to compromise and have a strip scar. On reflection due to FUE being somewhat unpredictable regardless of the experience of the surgeon wish they had understood better that FUE can and the FACT is does produce lower yield and on reflection based on their actual requirements and goal gone strip, or not at all.
      I have heard many people on forums curse FUT for the fact they have a massive scar in the back of their heads.

No clinic has 100% success rate with FUE - FACT - If they tell you that then they are flat out liars in my opinion as i have seen personally unsuccessful FUE surgeries from a handful of different reputable clinics. Was it their fault.. knowing FUE and how unpredictable is it , no.
      So that must mean there are many clinics that have 100% rate with FUT?

If you hate FUE so much why do you work for a clinic who offer it? I think your be better suited at Hasson and Wong they hate FUE too and only offer FUT.

If your intensions are to get FUE and then shave all your hair down then let me save you a fortunate in money and countless years in time - just shave it all off now.
      Why? Some people do not want to be a slap-head and like to have their hair short. Why would it be a bad idea for someone that wants short hair to have any type of hair transplant?

Comment

• Spex
        Dr Representative
        • Nov 2008

Sausage, I like how you twisted it round there...

Just giving you my opinion based on 10 procedures 4 strips and 6 FUE sessions over the years and also being heavily involved with actual HT patients for sometime as after meeting 100's in person and visually seeing and inspecting results in person.

How many HT's have you seen in person might i ask ? Not being funny just interested ?

So that must mean there are many clinics that have 100% rate with FUT?
        Nope i didnt say that - yet don't put too much faith in FUE mega sessions. You will find clinics that will tell you what you want to hear all day long i just hope they also tell you what you need to hear also.

If you hate FUE so much why do you work for a clinic who offer it? I think your be better suited at Hasson and Wong they hate FUE too and only offer FUT.
        CLEARLY you do not know me or have any idea what you are talking about with all due respect. I represent one of the most respected and experienced FUE surgeons in the world and had FUE repair surgery with him 8 years ago when FUE was in its infancy. I advocate FUE - when its appropriate. Possibly get your facts right.

Why? Some people do not want to be a slap-head and like to have their hair short. Why would it be a bad idea for someone that wants short hair to have any type of hair transplant?
        You clearly have not seen FUE/ HT surgery shaved down in person . Its evident that 'something' has been done - its not 100% natural and when shaved to the bone especially a HT can create more issues than you realise. FUE CAUSES scaring whether you want to believe it or not. HT causes scaring minimal in most cases but scaring can be evident. HT hair when shaved to the bone is different than that of native hair. Its darker, thicker etc. The purpose of a HT is to grow the hair to enable it to create the illusion of coverage and density.

However regardless - You seem to have it all sown up in your mind so i wish you the very best of British luck. I hope your FUE sessions work out as you intend them to, i truly do.

A word of advise - do not rush in and inspect and see several patients in person.
        Last edited by Spex; 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM.

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Comment

• Tracy C
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by sausage
          I have heard many people on forums curse FUT for the fact they have a massive scar in the back of their heads.
          You can't even find my donar scar. My doctor knows where it is and he can barely find it. My hair stylist knows where it is and she can only just barely find it.

A gifted surgeon can make the scar almost non-existent. I chose a very gifted surgeon.

Comment

• topcat
            • May 2009

Sausage go in for an extremely small fue session and figure it out for yourself. You can always choose the strip scar if you feel fue does not achieve the desired result in the donor area or the yield you expected while doing very little damage. Or you could choose to pursue a larger fue session if you are happy with what you see. This is what is key in my opinion, take as little risk as possible but assume that risk 100% because it is real.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
              • May 2011

Everyone wants FUE but most of us are better served by FUT as Spex says. I think if you're going to need a lot of hair it's best to do FUT and FUE after. I suppose you could FUE into the scar to augment the effect of the tricho closure. You could probably go pretty short on the sides and back after that. Maybe even a 2 but a 3 seems realistic. I'd be happy with a 3.

Comment

• sausage
                • Jan 2012

Sausage, I like how you twisted it round there...

Just giving you my opinion based on 10 procedures 4 strips and 6 FUE sessions over the years and also being heavily involved with actual HT patients for sometime as after meeting 100's in person and visually seeing and inspecting results in person.

How many HT's have you seen in person might i ask ? Not being funny just interested ?

Nope i didnt say that - yet don't put too much faith in FUE mega sessions. You will find clinics that will tell you what you want to hear all day long i just hope they also tell you what you need to hear also.

CLEARLY you do not know me or have any idea what you are talking about with all due respect. I represent one of the most respected and experienced FUE surgeons in the world and had FUE repair surgery with him 8 years ago when FUE was in its infancy. I advocate FUE - when its appropriate. Possibly get your facts right.

You clearly have not seen FUE/ HT surgery shaved down in person . Its evident that 'something' has been done - its not 100% natural and when shaved to the bone especially a HT can create more issues than you realise. FUE CAUSES scaring whether you want to believe it or not. HT causes scaring minimal in most cases but scaring can be evident. HT hair when shaved to the bone is different than that of native hair. Its darker, thicker etc. The purpose of a HT is to grow the hair to enable it to create the illusion of coverage and density.

However regardless - You seem to have it all sown up in your mind so i wish you the very best of British luck. I hope your FUE sessions work out as you intend them to, i truly do.

A word of advise - do not rush in and inspect and see several patients in person.
                I did not twist anything. Its the way you wrote your post that made it sound like you were against FUE altogether. You singled out FUE by stating it did not have a 100% success at any clinic making it sound like FUT did.

I take what you say on board as I am very skeptical about both types of surgery. I have seen less than ok results with both surgeries.

I have seen some examples (yes photos) of mass FUE surgeries which look very good but from what your saying it sounds like I may be being conned (I am not implying you said those exact words) but thats the way its come across. From what you are saying the results that I have seen can't be real.

Anyway...I guess if you had FUE 8 years ago, you have had more work done since? as it has been such a long time since then I guess you may have had FUT surgery?

Comment

• Tracy C
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by topcat
                  This is what is key in my opinion, take as little risk as possible but assume that risk 100% because it is real.
                  I agree with this completely. That is why I tried to grow back as much hair as I possibly could with non-surgical treatments before committing to surgery. I did grow a lot of hair back. Although I did grow a lot back, it wasn't enough, so I had surgery to fill in the rest. I feel that doing this improved the outcome of my surgery and as a result reduced my risk - because I reduced the amount of surgery I would need to restore a feminine head of hair.

Comment

• sausage
                    • Jan 2012

Spex.....why have you today strongly advised against FUE and short hair and I quote these comments.

Yet 2 days ago in a thread called 'FUE and the short haircut' you posted this in response to Topcat's claims that many people who say the short hair cut and FUE don't work together are liars:

Im confused too. Where has this been mentioned that you cant cut your hair short via FUE ?

Here is a good solid example of FUE donor shaved to the bone after 1500 FUE.

(Photos of examples of patients with NO clear evidence of scaring were here)
                    These are completely different contradicting posts. This is very concerning from someone who represents a top surgeon.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
                      • May 2011

Sausage, Spex isn't saying FUE is bad. He's merely pointing out the pros and cons of both and trying to keep your expectations in check which is vitally important for a prospective HT patient. It still stands that usually if you're going to need a lot of hair then FUT maximises numbers and yield.

I can attest to the fact that shaving right down on transplanted hair looks a little strange as the hair coming out of the scalp looks very coarse but spread very widely apart. It looks a little odd. I reckon it needs to be a least 1cm before it can taper down a bit thinner but you'd need your hair much longer to maximise the shingling effect.

I've only for sure seen 2 transplants in the flesh. One on a guy I played football with who was late 20s early 30s because I could make out the strip scar when he went a little too short on the back (maybe it was a 3) and Joe Rogan the UFC commentator who had work done ages ago. I didn't know it at the time but only found out later when he said on his podcast that it was the dumbest thing he ever did. Seeing as how he has the scar now I don't see why he doesn't go for a big session with H&W, Dr. Rahal or Dr. Feller. It would help him out greatly because he keeps mentioning his hair lately so it's clearly bothering him. His hair is not in a good state. If he did it he would let everyone know because he's a really open and outgoing down to earth celeb. Once he's stripped out he could do some FUE into the scar and even supplement the top with another 1500-2000 FUE. Hope he finds a solution one way or another.

Comment

• Spex
                        Dr Representative
                        • Nov 2008

Thanks for trying to help .. you get it

To clarify - rather than have my words twisted any further in reference to my comments here and the other day which were in context of the subject. This guy seems to want to take my words out of context for some reason..Maybe its cause he simply is very confused..

I was referring to shaving all your hair down to the bone in your topic after a HT and informed that this is not a recommended or an advisable approach if the aim is to get a HT and invest 10, 000 's of £ only to only then shave it all off very short or to the bone.The fact of the matter IS a HT needs length to do its job and create the 'illusion' so having a HT and shaving it all off is absolutely pointless in my honest opinion as there WILL be scaring with any type of surgery. Be aware.

In relation to the other topic started by Topcat, i simply was clarifying what was meant by his post as with FUE surgery when performed correctly and extractions form a relatively small surgery are distributed appropriately hair in the donor region in fact can be worn short on a grade 1 0r 2 for example as shown. However there is scaring! FACT. This was from only 1500 FUE. You cant just keep going in again and again without clear evidence especially on this grade after surgery.

Your confusion possibly is the fact FUE patients can wear the donor hair short on a grade 1 and 2 and some even shorter when appropriate surgery and size surgeries are performed but be aware scaring will still reside, its there. How visible the scaring is depends on numerous factors.

A HT shaved down in the recipient area on a grade 1 or 2 can look unnatural in my honest opinion ( all depends on the individual, all their variables and their HT design and approach) and most definitely when a patient shaves his head to the bone after any surgery which is what i ACTUALLY said if you read my comments. If you want that risk, you take it but at least you are now informed.

FUE causes scaring. It does, its surgery. Can you wear your hair shorter with FUE than strip, YES. ( generally speaking) Can you wear your hair to the bone after multiple FUE surgeries NO, in my opinion. If your goal is to have multiple surgeries via FUE and shave all your hair off, pointless in my opinion and THAT was the point i was making in your topic.

I think you need to see patients in person who have had EXACTLY what is is you are aiming to achieve.

Might i ask:
                        1. How old are you?
                        2. What NW level are you?
                        3. Please can you upload pics of recipient and donor region?
                        4. Are you on medication to prevent further loss?
                        5.How long have you been researching HT's?
                        6. How many HT's have you seen in person live in the flesh ?

Comment

• chrisdav
                          • Oct 2011

Sausage.

I do suggest that you put some pictures up on here as it is very difficult to make any judgements regarding your hairloss without any pictures.

Ideally, you need to have a consultation with at least five of the best surgeons, and preferably face to face with a couple.

No hairtransplant surgery has a 100% success rate with FUE or FUT.

Even the very best surgeons have a small minority of unsatisfied customers which is expected, as this is surgery and any form of surgery there is a risk,that
                          is why you sign a consent form before.

But the very best surgeons have far, far fewer of these cases.

Spex is not anti-fue.

You do realise that the best surgeons all meet together a few times a year and know each other well.

This is one example:

The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery is an international, non-profit medical association comprised of over 900 physicians specializing in hair loss representing over 60 countries – dedicated to promulgating the highest standards of medical practice and medical ethics. The ISHRS provides continuing education to physicians specializing in hair transplant surgery and gives the public the latest information on medical and surgical treatments for hair loss.

And their mission statement:

To achieve excellence in patient outcomes by promoting member education, international collegiality, research, ethics, and public awareness.

Now Dr Feller for example was one of two surgeons in the USA who was a pioneer in fue.

He has been performing fue longer than the majority, has had some of the very best results for fue and he has trained several of the best surgeons in fue.

He has even developed the tools for the procedure, and a number of the other top surgeons who perform fue use his tools.

Now why would someone who charges 10$ a grafts not encourage Fue, when infact he charges more like 5$ a grafts for fut?

He would make more money if he was pro fuemegasessions.

Himself and many other the other leading surgeons, who all meet regularly, and even perform on patients in workshops together, all state the same answer that fue is better for smaller procedures.

I think it is very hard to disagree with them.

None of the Leading Surgeons in the world perform Mega Fue.

Some such as Hasson and Wong do not perform fue at all and an interview from Jotronic on the hair transplant network states their reasons respectively.

The clinics who do perform mega fue, are the clinics you should not be consulting with.

They are not ethical,do not generate consistent results over a long period of time and do not have the patients best interests at heart.

They will see you as quick buck and generally are leeches.

If you are going to pay a lot of money for a procedure as this is not expensive, I would rather have at 90% chance than a 60% chance of success.

Fut has been around far longer.

I think the first surgery was performed in 1950's or something and gradually over the time, the technique and has evolved, been refined and now at is very best to date.

People see scars from fut performed 20 YEARS ago and think they are like that now.

The scarring for fut is minimal now, like the edge of a card from a pack of cards so very thin.

Fue produces scarring but it is a different form of scarring.

If you shave you head down bald to a 0, you will see both types of scarring.

I have had a failed fue from a poor surgery and the scarring from my strip surgery is better than the fue.

Hair transplants in general are not for very short hair.

They work well because the grafts are placed at the right angles, in the right positions, to give you the illusion of a full head of hair.

It is said that an average male caucasian has 200 hairs per cm squared.

Now a human can lose up to 50 percent of his hair at a certain length, but to the human eye, will look no different.

This is why surgeons can achieve the illusion of density by doing this.

There are occassions where a patient with minimal loss can have more grafts per square cm transplanted as their is very little risk in further hair loss.

It would better to see some pictures of you and also that you consider medication, as hair loss is progressive and medication can halt and even stop further hairloss in some cases.

If you shave your hair very short, you will notice the difference because you cannot achieve the same look as a person with no hairloss with very short hair lengths.

He would have 200 hairs person cm2( for a caucasian) and the transplanted patient would have around 100 hairs per cm2. But as their hair grows to a certain length, visually you cannot tell the difference by the way surgeons has placed the hairs.

If we had an unlimited hair supply, then it is quite possible to restore your hair to its original capacity.

But we don't, thats why companies such as replicell are trying to overcome this hurdle.

This is helpful.

Spex is very, very well known in the hairloss community and would not EVER try to con you.

He is giving you the valid advice, which so few do in this industry.

If you feel Mega Fue is the correct way to go, then by all means do it.

Comment

• sausage
                            • Jan 2012

I was referring to shaving all your hair down to the bone in your topic after a HT and informed that this is not a recommended or an advisable approach if the aim is to get a HT and invest 10, 000 's of £ only to only then shave it all off very short or to the bone.The fact of the matter IS a HT needs length to do its job and create the 'illusion' so having a HT and shaving it all off is absolutely pointless in my honest opinion as there WILL be scaring with any type of surgery. Be aware.
                            Well the question that I asked you in my 2nd post was:

"Why? Some people do not want to be a slap-head and like to have their hair short. Why would it be a bad idea for someone that wants short hair to have any type of hair transplant?"

I was asking about people having their hair cut short, not completely shaved to the bone.

So I am not sure why you answered it that way especially when nobody in their right mind is going to have a hair transplant and then shave it to the bone? I don't think any sane person would choose to do such a thing. I am not even sure why you mentioned that?

I understand the whole scarring issue but I would not expect the scarring to show up on a grade 2 or 3 buzzed look unless your hair is pretty thin. I can understand a grade 1 or less possibly being an issue.

Those photos of the patient you uploaded on the other thread where you stood up for FUE with short hair has a grade 0 by the looks of it which is pretty short.

Comment

• Tracy C
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by sausage
                              I was asking about people having their hair cut short, not completely shaved to the bone.
                              The last TBT show talked about this a lot near the end of the show. Here is the link to that show.

Subscribe: iTunes (audio) | iTunes (video) | Zune (audio) | Zune (video) | RSS (audio) | RSS (video) Audio: Spencer Kobren’s The Bald Truth is internationally syndicated through the GFQ Network

Comment

Working...