+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    Anyone taking , who says it's growing hair , I would argue that you want to believe it's the saw palmetto doing it
    You could say the same about many hair loss treatments, since none are 100% effective.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    But since you can't patent it, you can't exactly make much money from it, therefore there's no clinical data and no one promoting it. How many people have tried it? It's certainly not something I'd have heard about without researching it in depth.

I'm not saying saw palmetto works; I'm saying you can't just dismiss it.
    right right... but all it takes is ONE positive review about Saw Palmetto, and you will have a bunch of people trying it out....
    If it were to work, those people will come back and confirm that Saw Palmetto does in fact work. That hasn't happened...

Look at what's happening with Toco-8 now:
    A couple people reported good results, and now a bunch of people on the forums started using it... In a couple of months we should know if Toco-8 works or not....

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    You're very welcome.
    Please do let me know about the zinc dose Your Dad is using. Also what type of zinc it is.. there are several type of zinc compounds out there and not all seem to be showing the same effect. Thank You.
    He's apparently on 15mg of zinc. I'll have to ask him what type. Sorry but I usually only speak to him at weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    right right... but all it takes is ONE positive review about Saw Palmetto, and you will have a bunch of people trying it out....
    If it were to work, those people will come back and confirm that Saw Palmetto does in fact work. That hasn't happened...
    Actually I've scoured the forums and have found some people who've claimed positive results. The problems are:

1) there aren't enough people trying saw palmetto ALONE for enough time, so it's efficacy isolated isn't known. Most people will jump onto finasteride straight away, or be looking to try something else if saw palmetto isn't working within weeks.
    2) those who try it and don't notice a result confidently conclude that it doesn't work at all. This isn't quite fair, since not even finasteride works for everyone and it takes TIME to work. There are no trials, so nothing is out there to defend saw palmetto from people who say it didn't work for them, so doesn't work for anyone.

All anyone can say about saw palmetto is that there's not enough information to say if it works and how effective it is. Who knows, maybe it's half as effective as finasteride, but that's something eh?

Inactive

He's apparently on 15mg of zinc. I'll have to ask him what type. Sorry but I usually only speak to him at weekends.
    Ok. Just been away to check my labels..
    My total daily intake is 65mg.. although not all is the same type of zinc.. some is zinc oxide, some zinc gluconate, some just says zinc..
    Anyway, sadly I can't say all this high dose does anything special for me.

two positive saw palmetto testimonials:

http://www.hair loss talk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2895

This link is blocked for whatever reason so you'll have to copy and paste it into your browser.

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    Ok. Just been away to check my labels..
    My total daily intake is 65mg.. although not all is the same type of zinc.. some is zinc oxide, some zinc gluconate, some just says zinc..
    Anyway, sadly I can't say all this high dose does anything special for me.
    65mg is way too much if you take it every day! Overdose of Zinc will actually lead to hair loss...

ffs instead of worrying about specific vitamins, buy a multivitamin and you will get absolutely everything your body needs:
    http://www.vitacost.com/Country-Life-Maxi-Hair

Inactive

not even finasteride works for everyone and it takes TIME to work. There are no trials, so nothing is out there to defend saw palmetto from people who say it didn't work for them, so doesn't work for anyone.
    From beta sitosterol + saw palmetto study:

"The active softgel components consisted of fl-sitosterol 50mg, and
    saw palmetto extract (standardized to 85-95% liposterolic content) 200mg. Systemic absorption of the active softgel components' bioavailability WAS enhanced by the use of lecithin 50mg, inositol 100mg, phosphatidyl choline 25mg, niacin 15mg, biotin 100mcg.

Study participation encompassed a duration of approximately 4.6 months, with a maximum duration of approximately 5.4 months. There were three scheduled clinic visits."

"Duration of participation in this study anged from 18 to 24.7 weeks. "

On the basis of the investigative staff assessment of change in the patientís scalp hair growth from baseline (Figure 1), treatment with the active study formula demonstrated 60% (6/10) subjects rated as improvedí at the final visit as compared to baseline.

Inactive

That concetration I've quoted btw. is per 1 softgel.. Patients were taking 2 daily.. so that comes down to 100mg beta sitosterol + 400mg saw palmetto daily.

Ok, so other supplements must be used with saw palmetto for it to work? This is SO complicated, and I don't think I'm exactly stupid

However, if that's true, it would also explain why there are fewer reports of saw palmetto working - people aren't using it properly...

A little joke I read on another forum. What is Saw Palmetto? I've seen Saw 1,2 and 3, but not Saw Palmetto?

A little cheesy but I lol'd.