+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Doctor refuses to prescribe Proscar, why??

13 months ago I visited a dermatologist for my hair thinning. She told me to begin using minoxidil (which I have everyday since) and also prescribed me Propecia.
    At the time I was wary to try finasteride, and wanted to see how I would react to the minoxidil first. But now Im ready to take the finasteride plunge.

The only thing is, I am a college student and cannot afford the expensive Propecia. From all the research I have done online and on forums, Proscar is the same as Propecia, except it comes in 5 mg tablets that need to be broken up. Proscar is also much less expensive, so it seems to be the perfect option for me.

When I took my Propecia prescription to Walgreens and asked to get Proscar instead, they said I would need to have a separate prescription for the Proscar.

When I called my doctors office and asked them to write me a prescription for Proscar instead of Propecia, the secretary told me that the doctor refuses to write prescriptions for Proscar and that she only writes it for Propecia.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? The only reason I can think of is that the doctor gets some sort of financial kickback from Propecia for prescribing it instead of Proscar. When I mentioned this to the secretary, she said she did not believe this is the case, that the doctor doesn't prescribe it because it is different than Propecia and something about Proscar worries the doctor.
    I believe this is utter bullshit but I wanted to ask you all here if anyone else has ever experienced this, and if there is in fact a difference between Propecia and Proscar that would make a doctor wary to prescribe it?

Inactive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEGCTMtlgoc

Doctor: "I have never prescribed it and I never will"

That doctor looks to be against all finasteride, doesn't matter if its Propecia, Proscar, etc.

That doesn't answer my question. If my doctor was against finasteride in general, she wouldn't even prescribe me Propecia. My question is why she would prescribe Propecia but refuse to prescribe Proscar

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB23 View Post
    That doctor looks to be against all finasteride, doesn't matter if its Propecia, Proscar, etc.

That doesn't answer my question. If my doctor was against finasteride in general, she wouldn't even prescribe me Propecia. My question is why she would prescribe Propecia but refuse to prescribe Proscar
    I actually agree with him.

Back to Your question:
    Answer No. 1.. Your initial thoughts.. it could easily be a financial benefit of having a deal with the manufacturer. Answer No.2 It could be a thing of procedural/legal/medical records nature. Proscar is much more powerful, 5 times more powerful than Propecia and is NOT meant to be prescribed for hair loss, but for prostate enlargement(BPH).. as You are not treated for prostate problems, it might be the law that forbids prescription of a drug only instructed for prescription for just one medical condition.

I see, that makes sense that she wouldn't want to prescribe it because its meant for BPH. Thanks for the response.

I guess my only option is to try and find a different doctor who will prescribe it.

Make it clear to the Doctor you intend to pill split when prescribed the Proscar. She's probably not thinking it through.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB23 View Post
    Has anyone else encountered this problem?
    I have read about others who have had that problem with some doctors. I suppose some doctors are not O.K. with prescribing pills that would need to be split. You probably need to find another doctor who is willing to write the script for you. It would save you even more money if you ask the doctor to write the script for generic Finasteride.

If you're curious this is the pharmacy I use to get propecia without a prescription http://www.goodonlinepharmacy.com/

Same thing from a derm when I asked. He said it was a liability issue with the drug not being approved for that condition. I can understand where he is coming from there are way too many issues out there to not cover your own ass.

I been recently buying proscar without a prescription here http://www.bestrxgenerics.com so far so good.