+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Some concerns that i have. Can anyone pls answer?

I've been on rogaine for approximately 9 months and the shedding is really minor compared with the time i didn't use rogain at all. Before starting on rogaine i used to loose 150+ hairs a day. Some thinks ar concerning me:

1. Is it normal to shed around 5-10 hairs when running hands through/rubbing you scalp when it's itchy?

2. In my early stages of using rogaine i had a initial shedding (was shedding like hell!), but after 3-4 weeks the shedding almost stopped i only used to shed like 5 hairs when rubbing my scalp, scratching and so on.

3. but now whenever i apply anything to my scal, could be oil, rogaine, shampoo etc. i notice some shedding (15-20 hairs i think). Is this normal? And the only time i observe this kind of shedding is while i'm applying something to my scalp.

4. For some time now (around 4 weeks) i ahvent been correct with my application. Some days i only applied it once, some days never, and some days i never missed the 2x application. But i've been using it regulary 2x a day again since 5 days. Could this be causing a new initial shedding? And will it stop?

5. As a consequence of me being afaraid of not applying rogain correctly i have been using a bit moore than the recommended dosage (it says 6 pushes to apply 1 ml, but i use around 10). this is mainly because i have long hair and i want to make sure that i get all around my affected areas on my scalp. Do you guys have any good advice/technique on how to apply rogaine correctly so i don't have to overuse it?

6. And just so you guys now, there is NO signs of MPB or thinning yet, as i caught it really early.

I know it's a lot to ask, but pls bear over with me. Thx alot in advance!

If Rogaine really slowed down your hair loss, then you are very lucky, cause Rogaine doesn't stop hair loss, it stimulates hair growth. On rogaine alone, you're on an uphill battle. You'll be strengthening hair as well as as losing them. This is where Finasteride comes in, it stops/slows down hair loss.

When I got on Finasteride last year, within 1 month, my hair loss completely stopped. Then I got on minoxidil to see if I can get some better results. I was shedding a pack of hairs a day or when I rubbed my head before taking fin. On November 2011 I got too comfortable and forgot to ask my doctor for a finasteride prescription, twice, and missed two months of it[December 2011, January 2012]. On January, my hair was shedding, like about 10 hairs every time I rubbed my head or showered. I guess because I took fin since November 2010-November 2011, it would have taken some time for my hair to go back to shedding to when I wasn't on anything. Well i'm back on fin, for 2 days now, and I don't know if it's fin or my mind is playing tricks on me, but once again my shedding stopped completely, this time it only took a couple of days. Yesterday I rubbed my head very hard and saw 5 hairs fall, today I violently rubbed my head and saw no hairs fall on my hand.

The reason I say this is because the whole time, I was on minoxidil, I never stopped it. But minoxidil didn't do much of anything by itself, my hair still fell, but finasteride is definitely the boss right now when it comes to MY hair loss. It's what dominates my hair loss, and keeps in check.

If you're not on it, get on finasteride. Your hair loss should stop within like 2-3 months if it's your first time using it. And stay on Rogaine.

No matter what, i'm not going on Fin. I managed to slow down the proces significantly, and i'm pretty satisfied with the result. I was just hoping to get som answers on my concerns regarding my post #1. No offence, but i can't really see why you are involving fin all of a sudden, as my questions aren'tconcerning fin at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramazan View Post
    3. but now whenever i apply anything to my scal, could be oil, rogaine, shampoo etc. i notice some shedding (15-20 hairs i think). Is this normal?
    It is normal to shed up to 100 hairs per day, even for those who are not suffering with hair loss. Some days you may shed more. Some days you may shed less.

Do you guys have any good advice/technique on how to apply rogaine correctly so i don't have to overuse it?
    I also have long hair. I found the dropper to be much easier to use.

No offence, but i can't really see why you are involving fin all of a sudden, as my questions aren'tconcerning fin at all.
    Minoxidil does nothing to treat the cause of hereditary hair loss. Finasteride does. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    It is normal to shed up to 100 hairs per day, even for those who are not suffering with hair loss. Some days you may shed more. Some days you may shed less.

I also have long hair. I found the dropper to be much easier to use.

Minoxidil does nothing to treat the cause of hereditary hair loss. Finasteride does. It's that simple.
    i see, thx a lot for you time, it's really appreciated! I may consider using fin if i start thinning or loosing excessive amounts of hair.

make sure you are aware of the potential side effects of finasteride before deciding to take it so you can make an informed decision. the information booklet that comes with propecia in the US has been changed to include sexual side effects that DO NOT subside even after use is discontinued.

Not to nit - but Fin doesn't do that.

The genetic reason is the hair follicile being susceptible to DHT.

If it was treating the cause, it would do something about that. It doesn't, it suppresses a naturally occuring, good, hormone.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    The genetic reason is the hair follicile being susceptible to DHT.
    I concede that you are correct. DHT itself is the smaller half of the problem. The genetic susceptibility of hair follicles to DHT is the larger half.

However whether DHT is a "good hormone" or not, I'm not so sure anyone who is not a doctor can be sure about.

I concede that you are correct. DHT itself is the smaller half of the problem. The genetic susceptibility of hair follicles to DHT is the larger half.

However whether DHT is a "good hormone" or not, I'm not so sure anyone who is not a doctor can be sure about.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/reform8.htm

Its one of the most potent male hormones there is.

I'd be happy to read something that refutes any or all of what is written there.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    I'd be happy to read something that refutes any or all of what is written there.
    Take the time to talk to real doctors.