+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A simple question....

How many FUE grafts can the average patient get from their donor area?

Thanks.

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

I would say the best FUE doctors can in 2-3 sessions easy do 6000 grafts if you have average donor.

I was personally quoted easily 8-9000, but theoretically 12.000 based on my head size and donor 96 per sqcm, which is a bit above average of 80-90 per sqcm.

3 session of 2000+ would set you back app 25-30.000 EUR in total - so also a financial commitment...

Again only a hand full of doctors in the world can do this to perfection - and I am still to see if my own grown out result of "just" 2500 grafts will be satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Still-Researching View Post
    I would say the best FUE doctors can in 2-3 sessions easy do 6000 grafts if you have average donor.

I was personally quoted easily 8-9000, but theoretically 12.000 based on my head size and donor 96 per sqcm, which is a bit above average of 80-90 per sqcm.

3 session of 2000+ would set you back app 25-30.000 EUR in total - so also a financial commitment...

Again only a hand full of doctors in the world can do this to perfection - and I am still to see if my own grown out result of "just" 2500 grafts will be satisfactory.
    Really, wow, I thought the limit was going to be around 4000 ish.

I am confused....why have I been told by surgeons that FUT is pretty much my only option to get the coverage I want. Why when you can get so many grafts via FUE do they tell me that FUT is my only realistic option.

This makes no sense, is it simply because they hate doing so many grafts by FUE, because their arms start aching? Thats the only reason I can think of.

Also could you clarify a session for me....I have always assumed a session is basically what a surgeon can achieve in a day.

Thanks for your help.

The fact is that even good ethical doctors like to promote the HTs that they can perform themselves. Some years ago, many HT doctors said that above 3000 FUT in one go was too risky. But the matter of fact was that only a few docs like H&W could actually do it - so in a way it was true. If you went to the wrong (good) doctor, he could not perform this.

Today very few can do FUE 2000+ in one day and only if they use highly experienced technicians 2-3 (who are expensive) + the doctor, can this be done.

Many of the good doctors either do not want so much staff on the pay roll or have not the training to do FUE at these sizes, so then its easier to say, it is not recommended to do FUE 2000+ HTs, and in a way within their own assumptions they are right.

A session is normally one HT in general, but some docs do back to back sessions on FUE. Normally it does mean you can double the total size though, but if you are going for say 2800 FUE it means maybe 2000 on day one and 800 on day two.

Lets see someday in the near future I am sure that 3000 FUE in one day is going to be the standard, when many clinics have highly trained technicians... HT is evolving just like small FUT became mega sessions and FUT became FUE etc....

It should read - it normally does NOT mean you can double the HT size.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

With the FUE technique, the total number of grafts is actually less in total than what can be obtained by strip. Typically, for a male, this averages 3500 to 4000 by FUE before the scalp can potentially start looking thinned out/patchy, while for strip, on average 7500 grafts can be obtained.
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Epstein, MD View Post
    With the FUE technique, the total number of grafts is actually less in total than what can be obtained by strip. Typically, for a male, this averages 3500 to 4000 by FUE before the scalp can potentially start looking thinned out/patchy, while for strip, on average 7500 grafts can be obtained.
    How many strip surgeries would you need to do to get those 7500 grafts?

Also whats the maximum amount of grafts you can obtain from one strip on average?

Thanks.

Mr sausage,

I worry about you. If you are looking at getting 7500 grafts, why not wait till these better treatments that are on there way become available? While you are waiting, why not start on the meds to grow back what you can if you can? If you respond well to the meds, that will serve to improve your outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Mr sausage,

I worry about you. If you are looking at getting 7500 grafts, why not wait till these better treatments that are on there way become available? While you are waiting, why not start on the meds to grow back what you can if you can? If you respond well to the meds, that will serve to improve your outcome.
    Sorry but why do people always assume things on here.

Where did I say I was looking to get 7500 grafts?

The reason I ask questions is because I want to know as much as possible, just because I am asking about something does not mean thats what I want.

The main question I would like answered is the 2nd question I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    How many strip surgeries would you need to do to get those 7500 grafts?

Also whats the maximum amount of grafts you can obtain from one strip on average?

Thanks.
    The best person to answer your questions would be a doctor

and they would probably like to see you in person ......I'm guessing

But here are some examples

http://www.hassonandwong.com/patient...splant-gallery

Remember everyone is different