+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair fall and hair products.

ok , so first of all , don't be suprised. Few years back, I used to wash my hair with soap everyday and applying oil after the shower. And i swear, my hair were truly great. They were thick, shiny, fluffy and healthy. Everyone used to compliment my hair and asked me about my 'secret'. Then one day my sister told me that applying shampoo will make my hair even better. So i started shampooing. And since than my hair loss has become rapid and its getting worse. I tried going back to my old routine, but in vain. My father uses soap daily followed up wid oil and he has a full head of thick and silky hair at 47. On the other hand , i m 21 and lost my temples completely. So what do you guys make out of this? Can this, by any chance, be the cause of my hair loss? I have also realized that 50-60 years back there wasnt so many shampoos and hair products. Wt all people had was a bar of soap. And if i m not wrong ,the rate of baldness and shedding has increased in recent years. I have read somewhere that the no. of people going bald today are much more than a few decades back. So could this mean that the various hair products are actually damaging our hair instead of doing any good? Comment please.

P.s - sorry for the long post and my bad english.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Anything is possible. But I really doubt that the shampoo is causing your hair loss. If it were the cause you would be having hair loss everywhere, not just in the receding temporal areas. You more likely do not have the same hair genes as your father.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    Anything is possible. But I really doubt that the shampoo is causing your hair loss. If it were the cause you would be having hair loss everywhere, not just in the receding temporal areas. You more likely do not have the same hair genes as your father.
    yeah, dat might be the case. I also wntd to ask do oiling helps? I was applyn oil almost everyday for a many years aftr d shower and til then my hair were great. Whn i switchd to shampoo , i started oiling b4 shampooin and dat too only twice a week. Nd its not workin.

Inactive

No, the cosmetics we use nor the food we eat aren't the cause. Many people out there use harsh products and have junk diets yet they still have brilliant sets of hair. It sadly all comes down to genes. Our hairs are just not programmed to be DHT resistant and thats the reason we loose hair.

Some natural compounds though that aren't usually part or high in our diet are reported to block DHT which is responsible for baldness.. These include beta sitosterol, saw palmetto, ganoderma lucidum etc. Unlike finasteride(propecia) and dutasteride these natural derived substances however are not reported with potential serious side effects that might come with generic drugs.