+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi

Default Hi

Pretty much, im a 22 year old guy with a receding hairline. And tbh it completely sucks arse.

Probably started thinning when I was around nineteen and gradually got worse since then.

Probably between a 2 and a 3 right now. Rest of hair is pretty thick.

Tbh this really has kicked my confidence to the kerb. When I was 20, I met my ex gf and she was stunningly attractive, we broke up a couple of months back and right now I should probably be out there doing young person, newly single stuff. With the exception of going out to do important stuff this is not the case. I spend the vast majority of my time cooped up inside and avoiding places with bright lighting. I cant even think about approaching women right now.

This is the complete polar opposite of the guy I use to be, I was out going, sociable and confident. Now I am none.

I know a lot of people will say that a hair transplant at my age is not a sensible idea, however I need something done, because I am wasting my life atm and really not enjoying myself at all.

It sounds so vain, infact I know it is, but it is what it is.

A lot of people's reasoning is the fact that you may regret it in a few years, but thats the thing. In the future
    1. In my thirties or whatever when im settled down I dont see myself caring as much, right now I want to be out there socializing, having fun and feeling confident in my appearance.
    2. We are in 2012. I'm not mystic meg, but can anyone really see that by the end of the next decade that a huge breakthrough will not be made? Because I can. I mean look at what the human race has accomplished in terms of medical conditions in the last 60 or so years. Flu use to be a common killer, now you walk down to local corner shop and your fine within the hour usually. Providing the funding is availible, I would bank a lot of money by the time I am 32 that baldness will be a complete thing of the past for men that want it that way. So even if i was to go bald further in patches later down the line then I would be confident by the time that happens I would be able to walk to tesco's and have hair the next day. Maybe thats fantasy I dont know. We can all hope.

So woould a hair transplant at my age really be such a bad thing?

Also has anyone had any luck with vitamin E maintaing hair? I have read a lot of scare mongering stories about propecia and I dont want to even bother going there. Im going bald, I dont wanna be impotent aswell. At moment I just wanna maintain the hair I have and ASAP get on with finding the best course of action to get a full head of hair back.

Thanks for reading.

Good morning. Sounds like a fairly similar situation to me. I am now 22 and was with my partner since I was 19 and we broke up around 4 months ago. As my hair was thinning, and I had just been dumped, I was at a very low point and made a big mistake by giving propecia a try, which just made everything worse by giving me sides. I got the confidence to date and actually found someone I liked, but the fact that I couldn't get it up ruined that and was extremely embarassing. I am off propecia now and the sides have gone but my hair is getting worse

I saw a cosmetic surgeon who said he did not recommend a HT at this stage. He recemmended PRP but after researching it I don't think its worth the cost. I know what you mean about confidence and I don't think anybody on here thinks you are being vain.

Are you trying any other treatments? I am on rogaine, saw palmetto, nizoral and laser comb. So far has got worse... but it's only a few weeks in. You can see my scalp now which is very distressing, if its the same for you I would recommend trying a concealer like toppik to give you confidence to go out. Gluck.

I feel for you man, I'm only nineteen. This is a tough battle, all we can do is stay optimistic. And never should we let this affliction dictate how we live our lives.

That said, this condition is indeed life-changing. Hair, in most cases, is a big part of who we are as a person. It is intrinsically part of our identity for the better part of our youth. Here's to hoping for better treatment options in the near future.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rupe View Post
    Are you trying any other treatments? I am on rogaine, saw palmetto, nizoral and laser comb. So far has got worse... but it's only a few weeks in. You can see my scalp now which is very distressing, if its the same for you I would recommend trying a concealer like toppik to give you confidence to go out. Gluck.
    Any noticeable sides of saw palmetto? I understand the mechanism which it works is similar to propecia.

Good morning. Sounds like a fairly similar situation to me. I am now 22 and was with my partner since I was 19 and we broke up around 4 months ago. As my hair was thinning, and I had just been dumped, I was at a very low point
    ---------------------------
    Ha, sounds exactly like me buddy. Not being funny or anything but I am pretty sure this hair loss may have contributed to my break up. This has been effecting my confidence for a long time now. And the staying in isnt recent. So pretty much everything about me took on a different scope in respect to who I was when I first met her and who I am now. Something I know I wouldnt have changed within me with me if the hairloss had never have happened. Frustrating to say the least. Its not that I think we broke up because I was receding but at our age, attraction is a big thing in a relationship and I look back and think well if I dont find myself attractive and having no confidence in myself how the hell was she suppose to.

and made a big mistake by giving propecia a try, which just made everything worse by giving me sides. I got the confidence to date and actually found someone I liked, but the fact that I couldn't get it up ruined that and was extremely embarassing. I am off propecia now and the sides have gone but my hair is getting worse
    ===================================
    Yeah, completely been put off the idea of using propecia tbf. Heard too many similar stories to yours. Not going there.

I saw a cosmetic surgeon who said he did not recommend a HT at this stage. He recemmended PRP but after researching it I don't think its worth the cost. I know what you mean about confidence and I don't think anybody on here thinks you are being vain.

======================================
    Im not but I have been looking at vitamins and stuff that promote healthy hair.

Meh, its probably clutching at straws but I have to try something.

Wish I looked like jason statham bald, then I really wouldnt care, but I dont. Ha. And when I shave my hair I look like a chemotherapy patient because we never get any sun in the uk/everyone seems to think I look like a thug.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb89 View Post
    At moment I just wanna maintain the hair I have and ASAP get on with finding the best course of action to get a full head of hair back.
    You need to talk to a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss.

There is absolutely no legitimate evidence that vitamin or herbal "remedies" can do anything to slow down, stop or reverse hereditary hair loss. Hereditary hair loss is a natural and normal thing. "Natural remedies" are not going to do you any good. It is a waste of your time, money and hair to try.

NW2 or MW3 is not that bad. Many men stay at that pattern for many years. Get out and enjoy your life. You are not helping yourself by being a hermit.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Any noticeable sides of saw palmetto? I understand the mechanism which it works is similar to propecia.
    Haven't experience any sides with the saw palmetto. I was a bit hesitant to try it too. It probably doesn't work as well as finasteride which is perhaps the reason I haven't experienced any sides, but anything to slow down the loss is worth it.

Inactive

Haven't experience any sides with the saw palmetto. I was a bit hesitant to try it too. It probably doesn't work as well as finasteride which is perhaps the reason I haven't experienced any sides, but anything to slow down the loss is worth it.
    Try beta sitosterol with/instead saw palmetto. It is said that sterols are what counts and in that sense beta sitosterol is reported to be 1000+ times more potent than saw palmetto.

I am currently on upped dose:
    510mg of beta sitosterol + 300mg of saw palmetto daily
    + bunch of other things I'm packing along the way

Inactive

Tbh this really has kicked my confidence to the kerb.
    Same here and everyone here I believe feels the same. I've started thinning very early on, now I'm 4 or even 5 on Norwood, and although baldness ain't a disease - it damn sure feels like one, as it makes in our 20s or 30s feel like we're 80 years old. Its a confidence killer for sure.

I know a lot of people will say that a hair transplant at my age is not a sensible idea, however I need something done, because I am wasting my life atm and really not enjoying myself at all.
    Do whats right for You, don't listen to majority of what others expect You to be. The only reason why I don't do transplant is cause I can't afford it. On the other hand I'm not falling into trade with generic drugs and trading one misfortune - my baldness - for the other - propecia can cause impotence, it doesn't work for all, many quit due to temporary or permanent side effects, and the drug requires lifetime usage. Its just not worth it for me. So, I personally am trying natural 5-alpha reductase inhibitors and hope for the best in the months to come.

2. We are in 2012. I'm not mystic meg, but can anyone really see that by the end of the next decade that a huge breakthrough will not be made? Because I can. I mean look at what the human race has accomplished in terms of medical conditions in the last 60 or so years.
    I wouldn't raise my hopes too high. Medical industry today is driven not by humanity, compassion or human desire for cures - but greed for profits ! Hair industry, including the 'proven 3' earns billions of dollars each year - status quo is actually a brilliant thing for their business !

Quote Originally Posted by StressedToTheBald View Post
    Try beta sitosterol with/instead saw palmetto. It is said that sterols are what counts and in that sense beta sitosterol is reported to be 1000+ times more potent than saw palmetto.

I am currently on upped dose:
    510mg of beta sitosterol + 300mg of saw palmetto daily
    + bunch of other things I'm packing along the way
    Again, would beta sitosterol not potentially invoke similar sides? Sorry if I do not understand correctly, I appreciate your input.