+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New... Awkward situation

Im not sure if I'm going bald, but I'm certain I'm losing thickness. In November 2010 I started shedding massive amounts of hair, it had not stopped and it is now February 2012. It has gotten to the point where the hairs shed are still thick (only 1 or 2 of 25 are thin) but they are < inch long (my hair is about 2 1/2 inches long now.) it is occurring all over my head, just more apparent on the top. My hairline hasn't changed much and my crown is consistent with the rest of my top. Any advice? I saw a derm and he said "everyone sheds" but really? To the point of getting thinner? At this point I'm probably at 50 % density (random guess) I can't see my scalp unless I try, but it easier than it used to be (trying to see it). Any advice/answers?

I should also add that the shed hairs weren't that short until I recently shaved my head in December (out of frustration) its almost like the hairs only grow a bit then enter into telogen over and over again, but just those hairs. All the rest haven't changed a bit...

Inactive

If shedding is the only problem, You might want to consider MSM.
    For thinning and baldness - most here would suggest You the 'proven 3'.. not me however, with the side effects involved I'm not willing to take the risk nor would recommend these drugs. Research natural 5-alpha reductase inhibitors instead, its what I do.

Going by your description I'd say it's most likely mpb. But that's only because you say your density has decreased by 50 %. Everyone sheds and everyone's hair gets thinner as they age, but 50 % really is a lot. The bald spots (where depends from person to person) ussually appear around 30 %.

You really should give us some pictures to decide or visit your dermatologist for advice, because all in all I'm just guessing.

Like I said the density % is a guess, my wife, derm, and friends/family are sick of hearing me talk about cause they say it looks and feels the same. As far as thinning do to age, I'm only 25... Would I really start to thin that early?

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Dbz0909 View Post
    As far as thinning do to age, I'm only 25... Would I really start to thin that early?
    You'd be surprised !
    I think I started thinning much earlier.
    Browse the forum btw, You'll see people only 17 thinning significantly !
    If its any comfort - better to deal with it in 17 or 25 than as some of us have entered our 30s only to figure out that we've already lost way too much.

I started thinnig at exactly 25, a lot of men of our generation are starting to get bald a lot younger age. But again man, I don't want to alarm you if there isn't any need for it. I'm just taking a guess at your description, but if it really bothers you, make an appointment with your dermatologist, it could really ease your mind.
    It might be absolutely nothing to worry about.

edit: Just seen you said, your derm(atologist?) said it looks and feels the same, so you really have nothing to worry about.

Well the issue that I have is my shed hairs, I hardly see any that aren't really thick. It's like a portion of my hairs are stuck in a permanent cycle of resetting, as in they start to grow. Stop, grow again. Stop... All with the same thickness. And it's occurring ALL over my head, it's just easier for me to see the top, which I cannot see scalp unless my head is at least a few inches near harsh light. It's confusing and annoying, but if it is AGA, it is what is I'm sure at some point in our lifetime they will have some kind of injectable that can re-activate/create hair follicles. If they don't then oh well, it was a good run!

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Dbz0909 View Post
    I'm sure at some point in our lifetime they will have some kind of injectable that can re-activate/create hair follicles. If they don't then oh well, it was a good run!
    I kinda hope it would be somewhat earlier. I'm not sure I'd be interested injecting anything when I turn 80.. All cures and promises feel way too many years away for my taste and my current need.

Yup, seems men are thinning earlier and earlier. Only 19 over here.