+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hello (I'm kinda new)

As there are so many options out there for baldness treatment. Unfortunately none of which is a real cure. I was just wondering since I have been struggling with hairloss for almost 2 years I'm 19 at the moment it started during my late 17s early 18. It made me depressed since I've been to places like hairmax the cost is just unbelievable. With that said I'm at norwood 3 about to turn to 4a I guess is there a way to atleast improve it. I mean I can still see the follicles are there but just doesnt grow I mean Im so confused with all these so called 'treatments' that are available currently wats the best option?

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Hi there,
    Please do not waste money on laser combs or hair clinic's like the one mentioned, which are not on the IAHRS list.

You have to look at what we call the big 3, which are the 3 proven medical treatments that works against hair loss.

Finasterid - in pill form called either Propecia or Proscar (same - cheaper pill to be cut in 4), get it from your doctor (you are then sure you get the right drug)

Nizoral shampoo you can get it from Amazon/ebay - I do not use it, but it should work good as well.

Rogaine - minoxolid which you can get from any pharmacy

All three works - Propecia combined with Rogaine - might actually give you serious re-growth of hair if you are lucky. Especially in the crown/top head area. Little can be done about your hairline - there you can later, when you are mid late 20'ies, if above halts your hair loss and if you have the finances - you can get a transplant to take care of this. But take a step at a time. Research and research some more... I waited 4 years before I was sure which doctor and procedure to do.

If you follow above you will have a great chance for stopping your hair loss either for years or permanently. You can not be sure to see re-growth, even though quite a lot do see it especially in the crown area, including myself and many others. You can also benefit from a thicker/healthier look of the hair you have left.

Good luck with it.

Hi ing,

My experience with the lazer comb is that it can help. It is rather pricey though unfortunately. You may be too young to start on Propecia or generic Finasteride. The first thing you need to do is talk to a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss to try to determine if you can take Finasteride. If you can, give the "big 3" a try for a year and see what happens.

If you are in the states, you can get Nizoral at your local pharmacy or stores like Walmart. You can get Rogaine or generic Minoxidil from these places as well. There is no need to search Amazon for them. They are readily available.

All my best to you.

Above poster neglected to mention finasteride (propecia) has potential sexual side effects. Do research.

That said, the 'Big 3' are the only current proven treatments for hair loss.

Inactive

If You are like me and don't want to gamble with drugs side effects, You might want to try natural inhibitors - there are studies available, don't let meds promoters tell You otherwise.

The 'proven' 3 don't work for all people, can leave serious side effects and have to be used entire life ! Do the reasearch.

This again?
    To the original poster: natural remedies don't work. You'll go bald on them.
    If you want to try to keep your hair, either finasteride or dutasteride will be necessary.
    Minoxidil and ketoconazole (Nizoral) can be good supporting treatments.
    A small percentage of men experience side effects, usually minor, on these drugs. The side effects go away if you quit the drugs.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    This again?
    Unfortunately this member very misguided, heavily armed with misinformation - and on a mission.

Finasteride is not the be all and end all, especially when you consider the potential negatives of the drug that can permanently damange your body and your head.

Quote Originally Posted by rupe View Post
    Finasteride is not the be all and end all...
    No one is saying it is - but it is the only thing proven to stop, slow down and sometimes help reverse hereditary hair loss in males. All those vitamin and herbal "remedies" some are touting are just empty promises and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    No one is saying it is - but it is the only thing proven to stop, slow down and sometimes help reverse hereditary hair loss in males. All those vitamin and herbal "remedies" some are touting are just empty promises and nothing more.
    http://www.stophairlossnow.com/Products/Revivogen2.htm

Scroll down to the end of that page and have a look at some of the studies there.