+ Reply to Thread

Default Beginning Finasteride? Some questions

Hello all, this is my first post. I have a couple questions and would appreciate any advice given. I’m twenty-three, and only in the past year began to notice my temples receding; they’re back pretty far but they’re easily hidden. Also during the past few months I now see that my hair is thinner on the top, front part of my head. It’s only in certain light, but I can definitely see my scalp more than I’d like. But, as far as I can tell, my hair isn’t falling out (at least not in the traditional sense). I scrub vigorously with shampoo for a couple minutes every day in the shower and less than ten hairs come out on average.

As far as family history is concerned, everyone on my mother’s side is totally bald (uncle, great-uncle, grandfather, great-grandfather), but absolutely no one on my father’s side is affected.

I’m interested in starting finasteride. I know the risks, and I’m willing to try it anyway. My question for you all is should I begin taking it now, or wait until it is clear that I’m suffering from MPB. As of right now I have a pretty good head of hair; I don’t think anyone but me notices at all. I would hate to start medicating myself unnecessarily now, but then again, I’d hate to wait a year and regret not starting it earlier. What do you all think?

I do have a few additional questions if you wouldn’t mind:

I’ve noticed that my scalp seems to itch more now than before; is there usually itchiness associated with going bald, or do I just have a dry scalp?

If I were to begin finasteride, I understand that many experience some symptoms throughout the first few weeks, and then for the majority, they go away? Is that true?

How long into my usage without symptoms would you think that it’s safe to say that I have not been affected? 6 months? 1 year?

I’ve read about how people go through a shedding phase, and generally that’s a good sign. Would that still be considered a good sign if I’m only in the very early stages of balding, where I’m really not losing much hair to begin with?

Anyway, I’m sorry for the long post, but if some of you have experience and wouldn’t mind answering my questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

might as well start early...
    regrowing hair is harder than keeping it, so why would you wait for more hair to fall?

anyways, most people that start fin are above the baseline after 5 years.
    Only 2% of people get side effects, so vast majority(98%) of people will have no side effects from this drug.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post

If I were to begin finasteride, I understand that many experience some symptoms throughout the first few weeks, and then for the majority, they go away? Is that true?
    They may or may not go away. Most probably do but some people claim permanent side effects. Its the reason why I'm not willing to risk it. Also some people quit due to temporary side effects or lack of results.

TABLE 1. Drug-Related Adverse Experiences for Propecia (finasteride 1 mg) in Year 1 (%) MALE PATTERN HAIR LOSS
    Propecia
    N=945
    Decreased Libido 1.8
    Erectile Dysfunction 1.3
    Ejaculation Disorder
    (Decreased Volume of Ejaculate) 1.2 (0.8)
    Discontinuation due to drug-related sexual adverse experiences 1.2

The study does not say whether side effects were temporary or permanent nor the percentage in that sense.

These percentages are for individual disorders.. If added together(no overlaping) it comes to 5,5% of users who have suffered side effects according to this study. This is for 1mg daily.

There is one more table for side effects of 5mg Finasteride where combined adds up to 20,4%.

The majority of males who use Finasteride do not experience side effects. Only a small percentage do. Only a small percentage of that already small percentage experience persistant side effects. At this time no one knows why this very small percentage of males experience this. However, there is very strong evidence that in most cases it is a psychosomatic result of fear mongering.

I know many males who use Finasteride. I do not know any males in real life who have experienced these side effects. I've only read about it online. Almost every instance I have read about has been obvious fear mongering.

Hello all, this is my first post. I have a couple questions and would appreciate any advice given. I’m twenty-three, and only in the past year began to notice my temples receding; they’re back pretty far but they’re easily hidden. Also during the past few months I now see that my hair is thinner on the top, front part of my head. It’s only in certain light, but I can definitely see my scalp more than I’d like. But, as far as I can tell, my hair isn’t falling out (at least not in the traditional sense). I scrub vigorously with shampoo for a couple minutes every day in the shower and less than ten hairs come out on average.

As far as family history is concerned, everyone on my mother’s side is totally bald (uncle, great-uncle, grandfather, great-grandfather), but absolutely no one on my father’s side is affected.

I’m interested in starting finasteride. I know the risks, and I’m willing to try it anyway. My question for you all is should I begin taking it now, or wait until it is clear that I’m suffering from MPB. As of right now I have a pretty good head of hair; I don’t think anyone but me notices at all. I would hate to start medicating myself unnecessarily now, but then again, I’d hate to wait a year and regret not starting it earlier. What do you all think?

I do have a few additional questions if you wouldn’t mind:

I’ve noticed that my scalp seems to itch more now than before; is there usually itchiness associated with going bald, or do I just have a dry scalp?

How long into my usage without symptoms would you think that it’s safe to say that I have not been affected? 6 months? 1 year?

I’ve read about how people go through a shedding phase, and generally that’s a good sign. Would that still be considered a good sign if I’m only in the very early stages of balding, where I’m really not losing much hair to begin with?

Anyway, I’m sorry for the long post, but if some of you have experience and wouldn’t mind answering my questions, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Never had an issue with proscar, use 1mg per day.